School Drops Song About Picking Cotton

Hagbard Celine

Sep 20, 2005
Atlanta, GA
BERKLEY, Michigan (AP) -- A song about people picking cotton was pulled from a middle school concert in suburban Detroit after a black parent complained that it glorifies slavery.

Superintendent Tresa Zumsteg decided Monday to remove the song "Pick a Bale of Cotton" from the program, said Gwen Ahearn, spokeswoman for the Berkley School District.

Ahearn said that when the song was picked for Wednesday's folk songs concert at Anderson Middle School, there was no intent to offend anyone.

"As it became apparent that that is the case, we pulled the song," she said.

The school is predominantly white.

The song's lyrics include, "Jump down, turn around, pick a bale of cotton. Gotta jump down, turn around, Oh, Lordie, pick a bale a day."

Parent Greg Montgomery said he complained to school officials, and when he was dissatisfied with their response, decided to pull his 11-year-old daughter, China, from singing.

"It's mind-boggling that people don't understand sensitive issues," he told The Detroit News.

China said: "They were bringing back the memories of how African-Americans picked cotton, and it wasn't a good memory. It was disrespectful to African-Americans."

Ahearn said there's nothing derogatory in the song's lyrics, but the district did not want China to miss the concert.

"For her family and the school district, the best thing was to pull the song," she said.

Earlier, Ahearn, while confirming that officials were considering pulling the song, had defended the choice.

"We used to sing that song when I was in school during the '50s," she said. "It's like a Southern type of folk song. I remember it being perky. It was more of a song that people just sang for fun."

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/EDUCATION/11/14/slavery.song.ap/index.html

I guess they'll never perform Porgy and Bess, or Uncle Tom's Cabin as school plays either...some people are too thin-skinned.

Just shaking my head…

First; I guess these folks don’t have a clue how many “white” people have or do pick cotton.

Second; What the hell does this have to do with the law? Why is it in the “Legal” section?

I propose a “Politically Correct” section on the board for PC BS such as this.

Wow. I guess 'To Kill a Mockingbird' is right out as a school play as well...

I guess we should just ignore a portion of our history so that we can stop offending people with it.

My grandaddy grew and harvested cotton for years, and many of his friends still do, and he's about as black as his crop was. Why the HELL do black people seem intent on being offended by EVERYTHING. What's next? The cotton out of an aspirin bottle?

Mr. P said:
Just shaking my head…

First; I guess these folks don’t have a clue how many “white” people have or do pick cotton.

Second; What the hell does this have to do with the law? Why is it in the “Legal” section?

I propose a “Politically Correct” section on the board for PC BS such as this.
I didn't know where to put it. I guess "chat" would have been better. I like the comment somebody made about the cotton in the aspirin bottle. One day I'm sure some black person will get offended by having to pick the cotton swab out of the bottle and will sue Bayer.:laugh:

Hagbard Celine said:
... I like the comment somebody made about the cotton in the aspirin bottle. One day I'm sure some black person will get offended by having to pick the cotton swab out of the bottle and will sue Bayer.:laugh:
Yeah, and I’ll bet some young starving attorney will file such a suit too.
What do ya think?

Hobbit said:
My grandaddy grew and harvested cotton for years, and many of his friends still do, and he's about as black as his crop was. Why the HELL do black people seem intent on being offended by EVERYTHING. What's next? The cotton out of an aspirin bottle?

the white man opresses me....gives me a headache....and reminds me of my place by making me pick cotton to cure my headache :blowup:

Hagbard Celine said:
BERKLEY, Michigan (AP)
China said: "They were bringing back the memories of how African-Americans picked cotton, and it wasn't a good memory. It was disrespectful to African-Americans."...

http://www.cnn.com/2005/EDUCATION/11/14/slavery.song.ap/index.html

How can something be a "memory" if you didn't experience it yourself?

We sang that song when I was in 6th grade. I don't recall anyone giving it a thought. It ws just a lively goofy song to get the kids excited to sing.

Abbey Normal said:
How can something be a "memory" if you didn't experience it yourself?

We sang that song when I was in 6th grade. I don't recall anyone giving it a thought. It ws just a lively goofy song to get the kids excited to sing.
Exactly. This whole thing is ridiculous but there are so many cases just like it.

Hagbard Celine said:
How about the song "Jimmy Crack Corn?" It's clearly a reference to black crack addicts. I don't think children should sing it anymore.

how about bing's white christmas?.....clearly mother nature is racist...

manu1959 said:
how about bing's white christmas?.....clearly mother nature is racist...

Hey you can't say racist! That might bring back 'memories' of a racist history and therefore be offensive. Oh crap, I said racist! I said it again!

no1tovote4 said:
Hey you can't say racist! That might bring back 'memories' of a racist history and therefore be offensive. Oh crap, I said racist! I said it again!

my grandmothers family owned slaves.....freed them....gave them land....gave them homes....and gave them jobs.......have we paid our reparations? :poke:

manu1959 said:
my grandmothers family owned slaves.....freed them....gave them land....gave them homes....and gave them jobs.......have we paid our reparations? :poke:

I don't know about reparations, I do know that you have offended people by reminding them that there were once slaves and you should never mention that word again!

Offended person: :cry: - "He reminded me of slavery! He is bad!"

At least according to the logic of this 'story' about removing a song that talks about picking cotton. Shoot, you mentioned slavery directly it wasn't simply a mention of picking cotton!

(Crap! I did it again!)

Offended person: :cry: - He used that horribly offensive word too! He is bad!

I just wonder how we are to talk about history of the US in any sort of context if just reminding people that there were once slaves here is so offensive as to have a need to remove songs from school programs that might remind people that somebody in their ancestry might have been a slave.

Forum List

Back