If You Were The D.A., What Would You Do?

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
If no weapon was used, and the owner of the bank approved, 10 years probation and 2500 hours community service.

------

A man who allegedly robbed a bank of $1,100 yesterday made it easy on police.

Authorities said that just minutes after Andre M. Ellis, 39, robbed an ESB Bank in Ambridge, Beaver County, they caught him standing in front of the bank trying to return the money.

"He felt bad about it, so he tried to do the right thing," said Ambridge police Chief David Sabol. "I've never seen anything like it."

The heist didn't appear to be the work of a hardened bank robber.

According to police, Ellis walked into the bank just before 10 a.m. and slipped a teller a note asking for money. It also asked for God's forgiveness and said he wouldn't be robbing a bank if he wasn't in trouble, police said.

After Ellis left, bank employees called authorities, who fanned out across the area to look for him. Within minutes, an assisting officer from Harmony Township called Ambridge police to say the suspect was standing outside the bank.

He had been knocking on the now-locked bank's windows, trying to get employees' attention.

Ellis, of Ambridge, was charged with robbery, theft and receiving stolen property. He was jailed after failing to post $100,000 bond.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/trib/pmupdate/s_392357.html

GotZoom said:
If no weapon was used, and the owner of the bank approved, 10 years probation and 2500 hours community service.

------

A man who allegedly robbed a bank of $1,100 yesterday made it easy on police.

Authorities said that just minutes after Andre M. Ellis, 39, robbed an ESB Bank in Ambridge, Beaver County, they caught him standing in front of the bank trying to return the money.

"He felt bad about it, so he tried to do the right thing," said Ambridge police Chief David Sabol. "I've never seen anything like it."

The heist didn't appear to be the work of a hardened bank robber.

According to police, Ellis walked into the bank just before 10 a.m. and slipped a teller a note asking for money. It also asked for God's forgiveness and said he wouldn't be robbing a bank if he wasn't in trouble, police said.

After Ellis left, bank employees called authorities, who fanned out across the area to look for him. Within minutes, an assisting officer from Harmony Township called Ambridge police to say the suspect was standing outside the bank.

He had been knocking on the now-locked bank's windows, trying to get employees' attention.

Ellis, of Ambridge, was charged with robbery, theft and receiving stolen property. He was jailed after failing to post $100,000 bond.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/trib/pmupdate/s_392357.html

What a fascinating case.

I would look at what trouble he was in that got him to the point of robbing a bank, and try and tailor the punishment to also help avoid repeat trouble in his life... I'd be more specific, but I don't know why he needed the money.

Based off the story only, I would give him 10 years for bank robbery, with 9 years suspended/probation. I would not give a bank robber no bank time, but obviously, his means and immediate remorse are two mitigating factors.

I'd give him 1 year in prison, but he'd only have to stay in jail during 'banking hours'.

At night, and sundays, and federal holidays, he could go home.

:)

Forum List

Back