Santorum to Puerto Rico.......Learn to speak English dammit!

The mentally challenged are TRULY disadvantaged and to use a picture of a CHILD to make a joke is disgusting!

If they want to be a state, yes they should speak English. If they don't they can speak Klingon if they so choose.

trying_to_be_retarded.jpg

That is extremely classless! The mentally challenged are TRULY disadvantaged and to use a picture of a CHILD to make a joke is disgusting!

He couldn't find a dead child, which is far more preferable to democrats. Ideally one already dismembered.

America is to be polyglot, which is more suited to a people intended to not be able to understand one another.

Unfortunately for Santorum, there are no laws that state you must speak English in this country.

There is no federal law stipulating an official language, but 31 states have adopted measures and Congress has included adoption of English as a requirement for statehood in previous cases.

Santorum stands by English condition for Puerto Rico statehood – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Some people may have been "offended" by his position, but it is hardly a "narrow view".

I know quite a few PR people. They will all tell you what we already know. English speakers are employable (there and here); Spanish speakers are limited in job opportunities. Common sense, but sometimes people can't handle the truth.

true, but not directly relevant. Native-born Puerto Ricans are already natural citizens and do not require naturalization.
I was referring to immigrants in general, not to Puerto Ricans. If an immigrant wants to be naturalized then they must learn the language. That should be the same with countries that enter the union.

The English portion of the Citizenship Test is pretty ridiculously simple. It does not by any stretch indicate a real mastery of the language.

[--------]

Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with you? Did you really think it was 'funny' to use that picture like that? Being a complete lowlife asshole is NOT 'cute' or 'cool' you fucking little punk asshole.

Sometimes I wonder if Creepy Ricky isn't an agent provocateur working for the DNC.

A citizen of the US has to learn English before they are naturalized!

Generally (but not always: see, eg, http://www.indianajustice.org/Data/DocumentLibrary/Documents/1055436443.34/naturalization.pdf) true, but not directly relevant. Native-born Puerto Ricans are already natural citizens and do not require naturalization.

Anyway, I found Santorum's declaration more muddled than offensive. His claim about federal law was false, but it is true that the federal laws that admit territories as states generally impose some requirement regarding English. Also, when Santorum said that English should be the "principal" language it was not clear whether he meant of everyday life or of official government. I think the latter would be quite reasonable. Anyway, it's not very relevant since in the near future Puerto Rico will not become a state and Santorum will not become President.
There is no current requirement. Policies concerning raising the children immersed in English have also loosened there in recent decades.

Unfortunately for Santorum, there are no laws that state you must speak English in this country.

There is no federal law stipulating an official language, but 31 states have adopted measures and Congress has included adoption of English as a requirement for statehood in previous cases.

Santorum stands by English condition for Puerto Rico statehood – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Some people may have been "offended" by his position, but it is hardly a "narrow view".

I know quite a few PR people. They will all tell you what we already know. English speakers are employable (there and here); Spanish speakers are limited in job opportunities. Common sense, but sometimes people can't handle the truth.

Santorum has shown he has no respect for the Puerto Rican culture which is built around the Spanish language. They speak Spanish in their homes, in their schools and in the workplace. It doesn't mean they still dont learn English, most do

But for Santorum to urge them to abandon their culture in order to appear more American shows how callous he really is

Santorum has shown he has no respect for the Puerto Rican culture which is built around the Spanish language. They speak Spanish in their homes, in their schools and in the workplace. It doesn't mean they still dont learn English, most do

But for Santorum to urge them to abandon their culture in order to appear more American shows how callous he really is

I really don't think the clown sees any difference between Puerto Ricans and Mexicans, I'm sorry but thats how I see it.

Who the hell said that? I'm sure most would like to know English and most do they want to be American than be American which includes speaking English if they need to, although I don't see why they would, they get all the benefits of a state without having pay all the taxe,s but the outrage at having to know English to be a state is stupid:confused:

I would suggest that all these proponents of a multilingual United States try that shit someplace else like any other country in the world!

There are plenty of countries where people speak more than 1 language, its nothing new, even China has that.

Lots and lots of languages spoken in China, although they do have an official national language.

Forum List

Back