Santorum to Puerto Rico.......Learn to speak English dammit!

I am not a Santorum fan, but you are twisting what he said! 47% voted for statehood, 4% away from becoming a state. He said he doesn't think they should become a state without speaking English and making that their language.

And you know what? He is god damn right. A citizen of the US has to learn English before they are naturalized!

They should speak English if they don't. Not going to force them to. But they should.

But then I dont really have a problem if individual states did have languages other than English, as long as the national language is English.

I served with alot of Puerto Ricans in the Military and I work with quite a bit now, they do speak English.

OMG!!! You are kidding, right??? :):):)

My In-laws all do, fortunately for the Powers that be, they are so divided Politically, I don't think we will ever have to worry about a Military Invasion, as long as Nobody dicks with the Puerto Rican Day Parades around the country, anyways. :razz:

English is Now the Mandated International Language of Aviation

The International Civil Aviation Organisation has decreed that from 1 January 2008 all Air Traffic Controllers and Flight Crew Members engaged in or in contact with international flights must be proficient in the English language as a general spoken medium and not simply have a proficiency in standard ICAO Radio Telephony Phraseology.

This has important implications for all aircrew and controllers. Those who do not have proficiency must acquire it by that date or risk removal from international flight routes.

Below is an extract from an official ICAO document which details the level of proficiency required:

English is the now the mandated international Language of Aviation

They should speak English if they don't. Not going to force them to. But they should.

But then I dont really have a problem if individual states did have languages other than English, as long as the national language is English.

I served with alot of Puerto Ricans in the Military and I work with quite a bit now, they do speak English.

I figured they probably did. I think Santorum is being a bit foolish with this one.

Santorum: English must be adopted by Puerto Rico

"As in any other state, you have to comply with this and any federal law. And that is that English has to be the main language," Santorum told El Vocero, a San Juan newspaper. "There are other states with more than one language as is the case in Hawaii, but to be a state in the United States, English has to be the main language."

Democratic Rep. Pedro Pierluisi, Puerto Rico's non-voting delegate to Congress, said today on CNN that Santorum has a "narrow and limiting view of what America is all about."

¿No ves que sos siempre el mismo?, ¡te digo una palabra y ya saltás!

My In-laws all do, fortunately for the Powers that be, they are so divided Politically, I don't think we will ever have to worry about a Military Invasion, as long as Nobody dicks with the Puerto Rican Day Parades around the country, anyways. :razz:

Nah I'm not kidding, as a matter a fact I haven't met a Puerto Rican that didn't know English.

I figured they probably did. I think Santorum is being a bit foolish with this one.

The question is whether the disconnect is about lack of experience or lack of common sense.
I don't want to hear the answer right now. La-La-La-La-La, I can't hear you. :lol:

A citizen of the US has to learn English before they are naturalized!

Generally (but not always: see, eg, http://www.indianajustice.org/Data/DocumentLibrary/Documents/1055436443.34/naturalization.pdf) true, but not directly relevant. Native-born Puerto Ricans are already natural citizens and do not require naturalization.

Anyway, I found Santorum's declaration more muddled than offensive. His claim about federal law was false, but it is true that the federal laws that admit territories as states generally impose some requirement regarding English. Also, when Santorum said that English should be the "principal" language it was not clear whether he meant of everyday life or of official government. I think the latter would be quite reasonable. Anyway, it's not very relevant since in the near future Puerto Rico will not become a state and Santorum will not become President.

If they want to be a state, yes they should speak English. If they don't they can speak Klingon if they so choose.

trying_to_be_retarded.jpg

using pictures of the mentally disabled to be funny... isn't.

Nah I'm not kidding, as a matter a fact I haven't met a Puerto Rican that didn't know English.

That is because they are taught English in school growing up.

If they want to be a state, yes they should speak English. If they don't they can speak Klingon if they so choose.

Where is that in the Constitution?

The founders might have considered that we had such common sense as to provide education in a common language. Although, it would add immeasureably to the entertainment value if all the people in Wisconsin spoke Polish, Pennsylvania spoke only Dutch, Michigan spoke Farsi, and who could forget that New York would be split between Italian and Yiddish. Anything that divides this country more than it is has got to be preferable to what we have now.

If Puerto Rico wants to be a state, they will speak English. They will teach it in schools instead of Spanish. If they don't want to be a state, then they need comply with no US educational standards whatsoever.

I guess Santorum just blew PR off?

If he had said this earlier he would have lost American Samoa as well.

It shows what a total idiot Santorum is to tell Puerto Rico to dismiss it's culture to adapt to what he believes "real Americans" should be like

true, but not directly relevant. Native-born Puerto Ricans are already natural citizens and do not require naturalization.
I was referring to immigrants in general, not to Puerto Ricans. If an immigrant wants to be naturalized then they must learn the language. That should be the same with countries that enter the union.

"As in any other state, you have to comply with this and any federal law. And that is that English has to be the main language," Santorum told El Vocero, a San Juan newspaper. "There are other states with more than one language as is the case in Hawaii, but to be a state in the United States, English has to be the main language."

Democratic Rep. Pedro Pierluisi, Puerto Rico's non-voting delegate to Congress, said today on CNN that Santorum has a "narrow and limiting view of what America is all about."

Ey ey, porque habla englis es tu al espanol por quatro centavos--es stupido en habla ESPANOL!!!!!

Viva espanol y latino america......

Robert

I would suggest that all these proponents of a multilingual United States try that shit someplace else like any other country in the world!

I'm sure the mandate to learn english is in the Constitution somewhere.

We just need to get some judges to twist stuff around and wahlah!

Rick is goin full retard with that non-sense

Forum List

Back