Santorum SLAMS Protestants--states they are no longer Christians.

oreo

Gold Member
Sep 15, 2008
rocky mountains
On today’s Up with Chris Hayes, the host unveiled a 2008 talk by Rick Santorum that could possibly be the only thing to make him lose the American religious vote: one in which he condemns “mainline protestantism,” of all things, and claims it is now “gone from the world of Christianity.” Needless to say, these sorts of words coming from a Catholic cannot inspire confidence in the sort of voter that looked askance at John F. Kennedy for being a Papist.

The speech is from a 2008 event at Ave Maria College in Florida, where Santorum notes that America was founded upon a Christian philosophy but “the Judeo-Christian ethic was a Protestant one.” “We look at the shape of mainline protestantism in this country and it is in shambles, it is gone from the world of Christianity as I see it,” he concludes.
--
Chris Hayes Digs Up 2008 Santorum Speech Stating Protestants Are ‘Gone From The World Of Christianity’ | Mediaite

Obviously a big BLOOPER for Rick Santorum--basically bashing the people that have been supporting him. Not everyone in this country is Catholic--in fact the overwhelming majority are Evangelicals--that fall under his attack of Protestant's. Certainly, this is something that Rick Santorum wishes--was never dug up--but the news is out now--and is seeping into the news media.

It was Protestants (our founding fathers) that risked their lives--crossing an ocean--to avoid the persecution of the Catholic church--whom then founded this country.

I am really not certain right now if this candidate didn't miss his calling in life. I think Santorum is much better suited to be a Catholic Priest than the POTUS.

106620_600.jpg

Last edited:
On today’s Up with Chris Hayes, the host unveiled a 2008 talk by Rick Santorum that could possibly be the only thing to make him lose the American religious vote: one in which he condemns “mainline protestantism,” of all things, and claims it is now “gone from the world of Christianity.” Needless to say, these sorts of words coming from a Catholic cannot inspire confidence in the sort of voter that looked askance at John F. Kennedy for being a Papist.

The speech is from a 2008 event at Ave Maria College in Florida, where Santorum notes that America was founded upon a Christian philosophy but “the Judeo-Christian ethic was a Protestant one.” “We look at the shape of mainline protestantism in this country and it is in shambles, it is gone from the world of Christianity as I see it,” he concludes.
--
Chris Hayes Digs Up 2008 Santorum Speech Stating Protestants Are ‘Gone From The World Of Christianity’ | Mediaite

Obviously a big BLOOPER for Rick Santorum--basically bashing the people that have been supporting him. Not everyone in this country is Catholic--in fact the overwhelming majority are Evangelicals--that fall under his attack of Protestant's. Certainly, this is something that Rick Santorum wishes--was never dug up--but the news is out now--and is seeping into the news media.

I am really not certain right now if this candidate didn't miss his calling in life. I think Santorum is much better suited to be a Catholic Priest than the POTUS.

106620_600.jpg

I'm not seeing the problem with his statement. A lot of the Protestant Churches have lost sight of their goal. They just see their church as a business where it's a nice place to have a wedding or a funeral. They really don't have a message anymore.

--

106620_600.jpg

I'm not seeing the problem with his statement. A lot of the Protestant Churches have lost sight of their goal. They just see their church as a business where it's a nice place to have a wedding or a funeral. They really don't have a message anymore.

as opposed to the catholic church? i think he should be worried about the mote in his own eye. and he wasn't referring to them bringing in money. he was talking about their belief system.

--

106620_600.jpg

How is this a political issue?

And the pounding on the doors of Christie, Daniels, Bush and Ryan grow louder by the minute....

There's no reason for them to do so.

I do think Jeb fully plans to run in 2016.

First, after 8 years, people will forget about Katrina, not care so much about Iraq (where people will be yelling "Who Lost Iraq" when it becomes an Iranian satellite State) and just kind of remember that under George W. Bush, we didn't consider 8% unemployment as "acceptable".

Obama can't run again, and after the slaughters of 2010, and the impending one of 2014, the Democrats will have a very thin bench.

Bush (whose wife is Hispanic) could appeal to Hispanics.

--

106620_600.jpg

It isn't. But it wasn't at a political event. He was a speaker at a Catholic College expressing an opinion on religion. In 2008.

It isn't. But it wasn't at a political event. He was a speaker at a Catholic College expressing an opinion on religion. In 2008.

Which, in itself, is pretty much a danger. He's given himself the power to decide who's in the "Christian Club".

--

2/21/2012

"This was entirely predictable: As soon as the media started covering Rick Santorum’s past and present statements, which now even talk show host enemy of the MSM and liberal elites, Rush Limbaugh finds unusual, Santorum and his aides begin to whine."

:eusa_boohoo:

Which, in itself, is pretty much a danger. He's given himself the power to decide who's in the "Christian Club".

No more than anyone else has... If you belong to a denomination, you are stating all the others are wrong, really. I mean, I know you don't say it in polite company, but secretly, all the religionists are thinking. "Ha, ha, you are going to Hell, and we are going to heaven. Ha ha".

Which always strikes me as a little silly.

But his criticism was that these mainline protestant chruches don't really stand for anything, and he's right.

And the pounding on the doors of Christie, Daniels, Bush and Ryan grow louder by the minute....

First, after 8 years, people will forget about Katrina, not care so much about Iraq (where people will be yelling "Who Lost Iraq" when it becomes an Iranian satellite State) and just kind of remember that under George W. Bush, we didn't consider 8% unemployment as "acceptable".

Obama can't run again, and after the slaughters of 2010, and the impending one of 2014, the Democrats will have a very thin bench.

Do you think that, if we could peep into the minds of most of the top Republicans, they've given up on 2012?

Do you think that, if we could peep into the minds of most of the top Republicans, they've given up on 2012?

I thought they gave up on it the minute they decided to go along with Romney as the nominee because he threatened to outspend anyone else.

I think the Establishment's position from the get-go was that the TEA Party was a grass-roots movement that had to be stopped at all costs. Even if it meant giving Obama a second term.

How can you jsut keep throwong voting blocks under the bus and still win elections?

You can not cheat enough to win with those odds

Neg rep to the OP for distortion.

So we have a 4 year old speech by Santorum in which he probably bemoans the fact that many mainline protestant churches have taken up the liberal social agenda rather than traditional church work. This is a criticism made by many others.

People must be desperately scared of Santorum, who they dismissed 6 months ago as unelectable.

Bush's wife Laura is Hispanic?.....i dont think so......:eusa_eh:....

Neg rep to the OP for distortion.

So we have a 4 year old speech by Santorum in which he probably bemoans the fact that many mainline protestant churches have taken up the liberal social agenda rather than traditional church work. This is a criticism made by many others.

People must be desperately scared of Santorum, who they dismissed 6 months ago as unelectable.

So, you negged the OP for producing Santorum's own words? The internet is a wonderful thing. Just as the GOP attempted to scare the hell out of everyone with old video from a Obama's pastor during 2008. And those weren't even Obama's own words. At the very least, what the OP produced, Santorum actually said...

Forum List

Back