Santa Was Here...

Discussion in 'Photography and Imaging' started by 007, Dec 24, 2005.

1. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,863
    Two days ago Santa stopped at my place and left me my Christmas present. A Toshiba 46HM95 DLP HDTV. I was exstatic, until Santa told me "I" had to "pay" for it. :p: Oh well... now I have to watch all my movies over again, only this time, in HIGH DEFINITION. And, I don't want to forget the new Denon 1920 Universal Disc Player either. You won't watch high definition without a "progressive scan" disc player, and one with an HDMI output helps also. (High Definition Multimedia Interface.) You'll need a TV that also has that input for the best picture. HDMI is streaming digital info that is NOT compressed, as most other types of video transfer are.

Didn't like the stands in the store... errr... SANTA must not have liked the stands in the store. Have one picked out, but wasn't in stock. Waiting for that.

[​IMG]

2. The ClayTaurus

The ClayTaurus Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    mmmm Electronics. *drool*

3. 007

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,863
    No doubt. I've been an audio/video geek, freak, nutcase ever since I got my first 'transistor radio' that would receive 'FM'. :D

That center channel speaker under the TV is an Infinity Interlude IL-36c. A three way, 38 pound, $499 bruiser. The boxes on either side of it holding up the TV are the boxes to my surround speakers. Also Infinity, Beta 20's. $400 for the pair. The right, left front speakers are little Advents that I bought here in town, to 'down-grade' from the JBL S412PII's I used to have. They pissed off too many neighbors, and that's also why I don't run a sub-woofer. I can already vibrate the concrete floor. Why shake it more?

4. The ClayTaurus

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    I still remember when I spent too much money buying a really nice set of Klipsch computer speakers for my dorm room my freshman year. I still think it's the best 400 bucks I ever spent. Not to mention the company is great. My subwoofer frizzed out on me, and it took one call for them to say "oh yeah, no prob, we're sending you a new box (not just a new subwoofer) just put the old speakers in the box we send you and mail it back.

5 years later and they still work, still piss the neighbor off underneath me.

When my parents splurged on a HE system, I steared them again towards Klipsch, and they haven't been disappointed either.

I don't have the money to buy that kind of a TV right now, but one day... oh yes. Oh yes. Just gotta get this car paid off first...

5. 007

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,863
    Klipsch is good stuff, no doubt. I prefer the Infinity's because they're famous for having such a 'realistic' sound. No color. What's recorded is what you hear. Lots of speakers have their own distinct color to the sound. I choose none if possible.

But I could see myself buying Klipsch. I've listened to them and like them, and they're quality is outstanding.

6. The ClayTaurus

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    I'm not as up-to-date on HE systems, but as far as PC speaker sets these ProMedia speakers were put out almost 6 years ago now, and I still haven't found anything that is comparable, except for the newer version Klipsch put out, which is basically a repackage. I love 'em. The double subwoofer enclosure makes a great footrest whilst I videogame and dvd watch as well.

7. 007

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,863
    I haven't used 'computer speakers' for quite awhile now. I run my computer through my A/V receiver. I have Launchcast Radio through Messenger on yahoo. Great listening, and only $3.99 a month. Every bit as good as Sirius or XM if you ask me. Only thing is, I can only get it here in my apartment.

I have to ask though... what is an "HE" system?

Wait a minute... I think I figured it out... is it "HIGH END"?

8. The ClayTaurus

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Home Entertainment was what I was thinking, but High End makes us sound snobbier, which I like. High End it is.

Perhaps Hellaciously Extreme...
    Heroically Extravagant

Mmmm subwoofer.
    [​IMG]

You're right, I love LaunchCast. If I wasn't able to listen to mp3's at work, I would use that all day long. It does a great job of predicting what I want to hear after about a week's worth of use and rating.

But I'm an mp3 man through and through, so streaming radio is unnecessary when I'm at my PC...

9. 007

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,863
    SWEEEET sub. That "THX" certification doesn't come easy. Anything to sport that label has freakin' EARNED it with performance!

I'm not a big MP3 fan. MP3 files are compressed, which means there's a lot of data from each file that has been dropped off to make it smaller. But since most people listen to MP3's on iPods or whatever, with tiny little bud earplug speakers, they can't hear the difference. You'd hear the difference between a manufacturer recorded, store bought CD, and a downloaded MP3 file on a "high end" system though.

10. The ClayTaurus

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    It's true, but if you know what you're doing you can get pretty high-quality mp3's using Variable Bit Encoding and other tricks. There is a lossless-codec that some people use, but I think the filesize is too large. Generally, if you use a bit rate over 192 and the right software, you'd have to turn the system up pretty loud to discern off of a cd.

There is nothing worse than a poorly encoded mp3, when a cymbal crashes, and it wobbles all funky and sounds like shit. Like fingernails on chalkboards to me. I'm a snob with my speakers, and a snob with my mp3's.