Sandra Fluke considering running for Waxman's seat.

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
120807_sandra_fluke_ap_3281.jpg

Sandra Fluke may seek Henry Waxman House seat - Kyle Cheney - POLITICO.com

Sandra Fluke, who became an instant celebrity when she was denied the opportunity to testify at a hearing on Obamacare’s contraception requirements, is “strongly considering” a bid for Rep. Henry Waxman’s congressional seat, according to KPCC, a Southern California radio station.

“I’m flattered that I’m being discussed as a potential candidate,” she told the station. “A number of folks I respect very deeply have reached out today and encouraged me to run. I am strongly considering running.”

Henry Waxman (D-CA-33 - Beverly Hills, Bel Air, Santa Monica), who rode in on the Democratic wave of 1974 (Watergate) was -until 2012 -not ever elected with under 61% of the vote in his district (CA-24, CA-29, CA-30, then CA-33). His average percentage for all twenty elections he won: 69.9%. That average was not always from CA-33, but the same geographic area, as California grew and more districts were added. Here is what CD-33 now looks like, compared to 2003:

CA-33rd.gif

In 2012, the GOP didn't even field a competitor for him, but an independent candidate made a strong run for the seat, which Waxman won with "only" 54% of the vote:

Henry Waxman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This was after the redistricting of 2010.

However, President Obama won this district with 61% in 2012 and with 64% in 2008:

Daily Kos: Daily Kos Elections' presidential results by congressional district for the 2012 and 2008 elections

And both Jerry Brown and Barbara Boxer each won this District with 83% in their respective elections in 2010:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California's_33rd_congressional_district

The Cook PVI for 2014 lists this district as D+11.

http://cookpolitical.com/file/2013-04-47.pdf

CA-33 is a safe DEM district.

If Fluke runs and wins the primary (if there is one), then she is likely to be elected the next congresswoman from CA-33. It would take a national GOP wave of way more than +13 in 2014 to make this seat competitive. In the 2010 Republican wave of +6.7% nationally, Waxman still won in this district with 67%. That is how resistant this district was in 2010 to a GOP wave, but that was before redistricting, so with the cards newly mixed and a likely GOP contender for the seat instead of a well-known independent, 2014 will be the first year to make a solid D-R comparison to 2010.

If you look at some of my other threads, I use the same kind of language for seats or states that are strong GOP, so that is not a partisan in me speaking. Those are the current numbers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

[MENTION=42649]Gracie[/MENTION] [MENTION=38281]Wolfsister77[/MENTION] [MENTION=18645]Sarah G[/MENTION] [MENTION=20112]bodecea[/MENTION] [MENTION=18990]Barb[/MENTION]
[MENTION=45104]WelfareQueen[/MENTION] [MENTION=31057]JoeB131[/MENTION] [MENTION=20412]JakeStarkey[/MENTION]

Last edited:
She belongs in the cesspool seat which is CA-33. Is there any cesspool inner- city seat which isn't safe Democrat?

Well, that was delightfully fact free.

Did you even see the map of this district?

Hollywood is an inner-city cesspool? Really?

Shhhh... Meathead lives in Prague, and just hates modern cities.

Especially ones with minorities living in them.

• Banned
She belongs in the cesspool seat which is CA-33. Is there any cesspool inner- city seat which isn't safe Democrat?

Shhhh... Meathead lives in Prague, and just hates modern cities.

Especially ones with minorities living in them.

Prague, as in Praha, in the Czech Republic???

Hollywood is film's equivalent of Detroit. Today it is part of the big cesspool called Los Angeles. Safe Dem ground.

Hollywood is film's equivalent of Detroit. Today it is part of the big cesspool called Los Angeles. Safe Dem ground.

How long have you lived in LA?

Good for her, I hope she doesn't turn into a career politician like Waxman.

Tired of the bought and paid for politician.

She could hardly do worse that that idiot did. Will she still need someone else to pay for her contraception after she's making six figures?

I really think you would be an excellent campaign manager for the next Republican presidential nominee, in charge of female voter outreach. I hope they offer you the job, really, I do...

Forum List

Back