Same-sex couples start marrying in Conn.

I'm leaving this thread. I had no idea someone would get so upset over a couple medical studies. Later.

Nobody is upset. Your info is flawed.

Your post has been responded to twice. It was multiquoted on accident and it has been corrected. You brought a point not initially supported by evidence and your study doesn't back up your claim. Pull your fucking skirt up.

At the risk of commenting on the OP......this is all going to be off the cuff, I haven't researched it and I'm not particularly religious so I'm sure people will have plenty of scope to shred it, but WTF.

I hate the idea of gay marriage.

Marriage was around long before the constitution and is religious in nature. The church has certain laws, one of which is essentially that marriage is a contract between a man and a woman.

If gay couples want the same rights under law as a heterosexual married couple then, as I understand it, they can have access to those rights within what (in Britain at least - I'm not certain if this is the case in the U.S.) is called a civil partnership.

If what they want is a Christian marriage in Church, tough shit. I don't mean to sound callous, but as an Anglican I am not allowed to take communion in a Roman Catholic church because I don't believe that wafers and wine turn into the body and blood of Christ. I believe it is symbolic, Catholics believe a transformation takes place. I'm not thrilled about it, but I'm not going to get all bent out of shape about being denied my "rights". It's a religious matter, and I have to live with that.

I have no problem with someone who choses to live in a gay relationship. I do have a problem with some of the loathsome comments that are often made about gays (Sunni's are a prime example).

But as far as a Christian marriage is concerned, no, I do not, can not, and will never think that it should be allowed.

At the risk of commenting on the OP......this is all going to be off the cuff, I haven't researched it and I'm not particularly religious so I'm sure people will have plenty of scope to shred it, but WTF.

I hate the idea of gay marriage.

Marriage was around long before the constitution and is religious in nature. The church has certain laws, one of which is essentially that marriage is a contract between a man and a woman.

If gay couples want the same rights under law as a heterosexual married couple then, as I understand it, they can have access to those rights within what (in Britain at least - I'm not certain if this is the case in the U.S.) is called a civil partnership.

If what they want is a Christian marriage in Church, tough shit. I don't mean to sound callous, but as an Anglican I am not allowed to take communion in a Roman Catholic church because I don't believe that wafers and wine turn into the body and blood of Christ. I believe it is symbolic, Catholics believe a transformation takes place. I'm not thrilled about it, but I'm not going to get all bent out of shape about being denied my "rights". It's a religious matter, and I have to live with that.

I have no problem with someone who choses to live in a gay relationship. I do have a problem with some of the loathsome comments that are often made about gays (Sunni's are a prime example).

But as far as a Christian marriage is concerned, no, I do not, can not, and will never think that it should be allowed.

I agree on a religious front. However, in the US, marriage is also a legal contract. Are we to tell a peson, because of his sexual orientation, that he or she may not enter into a legal contract with another person?

I agree on a religious front. However, in the US, marriage is also a legal contract. Are we to tell a peson, because of his sexual orientation, that he or she may not enter into a legal contract with another person?

Yep, if it's marriage.

There are other ways of doing contracts.

I hate the idea of gay marriage. Marriage was around long before the constitution and is religious in nature. The church has certain laws, one of which is essentially that marriage is a contract between a man and a woman.

Here's where your argument is flawed. Marriage was around long before the "church" existed. Marriage occurred between African, North American and South American tribes. Perhaps not the same ceremonies that you have today, but the traditions of modern marriage are just that - very modern. If you research history, evidence of same sex unions in ancient Greece or ancient Rome are abundantly available. In fact, the Roman Emperor Nero was the first Roman Emperor to marry another man. The idea of Christian marriage is only a very recent development if you consider human civilization about 10-15,000 years old - Christianity is only about 1800-1900 years old. Marriage was around long before christianity and you christians are not the originators of it. Neither is Judaism. And in America, we don't follow one bible. This is not a Christian nation. Everyone has the freedom of believing in whatever version of religion they want - and if they believe that their version of religion condones homosexual relationships and marriage, they are protected by their first amendment rights to practice their version of religion. Additionally, you can get married by a judge. AND you are not officially married according to the United States government until you receive a marriage liscense. So, according to the government, you could be an athiest and still get married. Kinda blows a big gaping wide hole in your "marriage according to religion" theory.

Additionally, tigerbob, do you follow every single law that the Church has put before you? Are you a devout Christian? Do you never curse? Did you save your virginity before marriage? Dependent upon your denomination of Christianity, there could be several hundred laws that you're breaking every day. Yet I don't see you or your pastor/priest/reverand/spiritual leader bashing every single law that you break. Why are you so focused on this one "law" that really is open to interpretation.

I think it's a bit bigoted of you to focus on one law when there are literally hundreds of others that people, including yourself most likely, are breaking every day.

Civil unions are not recognized in all states. And civil unions are unconstitutional, because if you offer civil unions to homosexual couples, you should offer them to heterosexual couples as well. These are people who don't want the gigantic commitment of marriage, but do want to advance their relationship. They allow homo and heterosexual civil unions in Europe I believe.

If what they want is a Christian marriage in Church, tough shit.

That's not up to you, that's up to their Church or Temple. And please remember what I said above - you Anglicans aren't the only players on the field. Your opinion does not matter more than other religions do.

the solution to this issue is for the government to get out of the marriage business completely and have nothing to do with it, there should be no legal issues involved with marriage
it is a religious ceremony and as such is protected by the first amendment
the only thing the government should be part of is the legalities and they should call them all civil unions for everyone

that being said, you would still have the issue of some churches that already do perform same sex marriages

the solution to this issue is for the government to get out of the marriage business completely and have nothing to do with it, there should be no legal issues involved with marriage
the only thing the government should be part of is the legalities and they should call them all civil unions for everyone

:clap2: :clap2:

Excellent idea. But the government taxes married couples more than it taxes individuals.

that being said, you would still have the issue of some churches that already do perform same sex marriages

I agree with this 100%.

Marriage occurred between African, North American and South American tribes. Perhaps not the same ceremonies that you have today, but the traditions of modern marriage are just that - very modern. If you research history, evidence of same sex unions in ancient Greece or ancient Rome are abundantly available. In fact, the Roman Emperor Nero was the first Roman Emperor to marry another man. The idea of Christian marriage is only a very recent development if you consider human civilization about 10-15,000 years old - Christianity is only about 1800-1900 years old. Marriage was around long before christianity and you christians are not the originators of it. Neither is Judaism. And in America, we don't follow one bible. This is not a Christian nation. Everyone has the freedom of believing in whatever version of religion they want - and if they believe that their version of religion condones homosexual relationships and marriage, they are protected by their first amendment rights to practice their version of religion. Additionally, you can get married by a judge. AND you are not officially married according to the United States government until you receive a marriage liscense. So, according to the government, you could be an athiest and still get married. Kinda blows a big gaping wide hole in your "marriage according to religion" theory.

All interesting points, and much new information for me to mull over, but it still doesn't change my view on this and I'll tell you why.

I believe I made it clear that I was referring Christian marriage (if not, that was certainly my intent). If people want to get married in an Ancient Roman church, Ancient Greek church, or any other church, so long as it's not a Christian church, it doesn't bother me at all. So the only gaping holes are the ones you left when you didn't read or understand my post.

Additionally, tigerbob, do you follow every single law that the Church has put before you? Are you a devout Christian?

Do you never curse? Did you save your virginity before marriage? Dependent upon your denomination of Christianity, there could be several hundred laws that you're breaking every day. Yet I don't see you or your pastor/priest/reverand/spiritual leader bashing every single law that you break. Why are you so focused on this one "law" that really is open to interpretation.

Well actually, DavidS, if you read my post again, you'll see that I already indicated I'm not particularly devout. For clarity, it's in the middle of the first paragraph.

Do I follow every law? Unfortunately not, but I do try to. I don't start each day knowing that I'm going to curse, but sometimes I do. Actually, I wasn't aware that cursing was not allowed - I thought it was blasphemy that was verboten (more knowledge for me to digest - thank you). On the other hand, gay people start every day knowing they are gay and presumably have no intention to stop being gay by the end of the day.

And why am I so focused on this one law? Well, it's what this thread is about. How come you've never asked me why I'm so focussed on the auto industry when I post in that thread? Or about soccer, in the Sports section of the board? I can happily tell you why I'm so focused on soccer if it is important to you.

I think it's a bit bigoted of you to focus on one law when there are literally hundreds of others that people, including yourself most likely, are breaking every day.

And I think it's presumptuous of you to think you have any idea what I focus on, or how I live my life. When there is a thread about whether priests should be allowed to marry, or the Ten Commandments, I may post on it, but that will not mean it is a "focus". You appear to post in dozens of threads, and have around 2500 posts in the 3 months or so you've been on this board, but that doesn't mean that I assume that you are an insufferable know-it-all who can't keep his mouth shut and needs to get out more.

Civil unions are not recognized in all states. And civil unions are unconstitutional, because if you offer civil unions to homosexual couples, you should offer them to heterosexual couples as well. These are people who don't want the gigantic commitment of marriage, but do want to advance their relationship. They allow homo and heterosexual civil unions in Europe I believe.

Yes, they do. So why not offer them to heterosexual couples? I'm not sure what point you're making here.

That's not up to you, that's up to their Church or Temple. And please remember what I said above - you Anglicans aren't the only players on the field. Your opinion does not matter more than other religions do.

Are you under the impression that I'm saying that no religion should allow gay marriage? If so, I'm not. Each religion has its own dogma, and my comments apply only to my views on Christian marriage. I've re-read my earlier post and I must say I think that is fairly clear if you read it completely.

Why not? Who are you to tell people how to live their lives? How does it effect your marriage? Who the hell are you to tell people who live thousands of miles away from you what they can and cannot do?

Who the hell are you to tell me what I can and can not think?

And I've seen no shortage of posts from you telling people why they are wrong, so get off your high fucking horse.

Who the hell are you to tell me what I can and can not think?

And I've seen no shortage of posts from you telling people why they are wrong, so get off your high fucking horse.

His ass is permanently attached to his high horse. if you don't agree with him, you're a moron. just ask him.

I'm leaving this thread. I had no idea someone would get so upset over a couple medical studies. Later.
You know, xhead, you could substitute the word girl in your "medical fact" paste and it would probably be a true statement. Does that mean the real problem is men? Maybe we should outlaw them, what do you think?

I'd leave a thread too if all my posts were being exposed as half truths, distortions, or outright lies.

Last edited:

^---What he said.

Forum List

Back