Same bullshit, different decade: What members of the gay rights movement could learn from history

Specifically to what you were replying to above, I am simply pointing out, that from the perspective of a long-lasped Jew, you have not given me any reason to accept you and your church's interpretation of what the Bible says about gay marriage over that of the countless Christians who disagree with you.

What? Wait a cotton pickin' minute! I'm not trying to convince anyone. What made you think I was? This is a debate, not a church service.

Let's not forget the train of this discussion.

You have argued that the same sex marriage debate is entirely different from the debate over interracial marriage. You have based your argument on your interpretation of the bible.

Marriage was supposed to be a spiritual thing by God.
Nowadays marriage is a legal thing. I say let gays marry. It helps reduce population anyway

Marriage was a civil institution before the Christian church got involved in it.

And out of curiosity, what math equation are you using to determine that gays marrying reduces the population.

Entertain us with that one.

Nowadays marriage is a legal thing. I say let gays marry. It helps reduce population anyway

Marriage was a civil institution before the Christian church got involved in it.

And out of curiosity, what math equation are you using to determine that gays marrying reduces the population.

Got any sources for that claim!

Specifically to what you were replying to above, I am simply pointing out, that from the perspective of a long-lasped Jew, you have not given me any reason to accept you and your church's interpretation of what the Bible says about gay marriage over that of the countless Christians who disagree with you.

What? Wait a cotton pickin' minute! I'm not trying to convince anyone. What made you think I was? This is a debate, not a church service.

Let's not forget the train of this discussion.

You have argued that the same sex marriage debate is entirely different from the debate over interracial marriage. You have based your argument on your interpretation of the bible.

People like TK have to concoct a difference because they without such a concoction the argument is lost.

But there is no material difference.

Got any sources from that claim!

You want a "source" for the claim that marriage predates Christianity?

How about the Old Testament?

You have based your argument on your interpretation of the bible.

Is there anything wrong with that? Wait, forget I asked. You fail to explain how I'm attempting to "convince" anyone of anything.

You have argued that the same sex marriage debate is entirely different from the debate over interracial marriage.

As far as the Bible is concerned. It is. You have failed to convince me otherwise. I admittedly have a literal interpretation of the Bible. But it doesn't take a literalist to know what the Bible says about marriage. None of the passages in the New Testament I've read on marriage restricts it based on race. Such a practice was unique only to the 12 tribes of Israel.

Let us not forget that you are not the only one to, by merit of your argument, warrant and thereby ask for my religious opinion on this topic.

I'm not talking about Christianity I'm talking about abrahamic religion. Besides it was really made in OT yes, I don't even know why people even marry now other than legal reasons these days

Got any sources for that claim!

13 Facts on the History of Marriage

My point is that I have no interest in arguing theology.

Then don't.

I'm not.

That sir, is a theological argument.

I would guarantee that there would be a more broad understanding and sympathy towards gay rights and equality, moreso than exists at this point in time.

except the whole world has already accepted gay rights, even extremely Catholic, Ireland. It's a done deal. Whatever happened or whatever they did it worked.

But I wanted a source for the claim

just quote the fucking passage from the source... I ain't reading through all the bullshit for the link you just posted.

just quote the fucking passage from the source... I ain't reading through all the bullshit for the link you just posted.

Ah I see, the guy who asks for links and 'sources' fully intending to reject any and all of them for some cockeyed reason. An internet message board cliché.

7. State or church?

Marriages in the West were originally contracts between the families of two partners, with the Catholic Church and the state staying out of it. In 1215, the Catholic Church decreed that partners had to publicly post banns, or notices of an impending marriage in a local parish, to cut down on the frequency of invalid marriages (the Church eliminated that requirement in the 1980s). Still, until the 1500s, the Church accepted a couple's word that they had exchanged marriage vows, with no witnesses or corroborating evidence needed.

...and here is where you say you aren't going to take author's word for it. Too bad, email the Pope.

Ah I see, the guy who asks for links and 'sources' fully intending to reject any and all of them for some cockeyed reason. An internet message board cliché.

7. State or church?

Marriages in the West were originally contracts between the families of two partners, with the Catholic Church and the state staying out of it. In 1215, the Catholic Church decreed that partners had to publicly post banns, or notices of an impending marriage in a local parish, to cut down on the frequency of invalid marriages (the Church eliminated that requirement in the 1980s). Still, until the 1500s, the Church accepted a couple's word that they had exchanged marriage vows, with no witnesses or corroborating evidence needed.

...and here is where you say you aren't going to take author's word for it. Too bad, email the Pope.
So what's this quote prove again? That marriage was a civil institution, Lanier a catholic one predating Christianity? Uhh okay I thought you were on to something. I really thought you were making the case the marriage began as a legal thing and not a 'religious' think. So you took me for a ride to no where. Fuck your life bitch

Homosexuality, the love that has no name...People that are homosexual have ALL the same rights as anyone else. But that isn't enough. Marriage, we have to agree to disagree here. I totally disagree to homo marriage. Gays don't have babies. They buy lots of lawyers and constantly reinvent themselves as victims, though.

Homosexuality, the love that has no name...People that are homosexual have ALL the same rights as anyone else. But that isn't enough. Marriage, we have to agree to disagree here. I totally disagree to homo marriage. Gays don't have babies. They buy lots of lawyers and constantly reinvent themselves as victims, though.
But not in every state. So let's disagree to agree.

But not in every state. So let's disagree to agree.
The feds need to respond to this issue, like legalizing Marijuana or illegal aliens. The feds can't seem to get their heads out of their collective butts.

Forum List

Back