Ryan Plan Vs. ObamaCare?

Toomey2020

May 29, 2011
One of the most important topics in the country is healthcare. To be honest, I am not informed about both plans, and would love to have somebody inform me about the difference between the two.

What I do know, though:

Ryan Plan:

Voucher Plan (Go out and buy your own insurance?)
Won't touch anybody 55 and over

ObamaCare:

Insurance for all!

If I could get a Conservatives opinion, and a Liberals, that would really help me make a decision, or make me more informed about the issue.

One of the most important topics in the country is healthcare. To be honest, I am not informed about both plans, and would love to have somebody inform me about the difference between the two.

What I do know, though:

Ryan Plan:

ObamaCare:

Insurance for all!

If I could get a Conservatives opinion, and a Liberals, that would really help me make a decision, or make me more informed about the issue.

Ryan's plan for Medicare is to just cut seniors a one time check and then they are on their own Obama Care is trying to get everyone covered by medical insurance through insurance mandates.

What I do know, though:

Ryan Plan:

ObamaCare:

Insurance for all!

Ryan's plan for Medicare is to just cut seniors a one time check and then they are on their own Obama Care is trying to get everyone covered by medical insurance through insurance mandates.

So what is the voucher? Can you explain to me how that works?

And I'm pretty sure he doesn't touch anyone over 55.

What I do know, though:

Ryan Plan:

ObamaCare:

Insurance for all!

Everyone?

Or everyone except those he excluded with waivers?

People oppose Obamacare and the GOP plan, check the polls.

But like everything else in this country, voters essentially feel they have to choose between the less smelly of 2 shit piles.

Ame®icano;3710560 said:

What I do know, though:

Ryan Plan:

ObamaCare:

Insurance for all!

Everyone?

Or everyone except those he excluded with waivers?

Everyone. Learn what the waivers do.

What I do know, though:

Ryan Plan:

ObamaCare:

Insurance for all!

Ryan's voucher is each senior get 8,000 per person or 16,000 per couple. to pay for yearly coverage for an insurance plan. You can choose a private plan or any of the many Medicare insurance plans. All of the Medicare insurance plans are way under 16,000 per year so it will cover the yearly premium costs.
additional assistance is given for lower income people.
There is no one 55 years of age and up who will be affected by the changes.
This plan saves about 300 billion a year.

I want everything free, to be paid for by everyone else!

yeah....like that will happen under Obamacare....

starting in 2014 if you don't buy insurance you will be fined $700

if you don't pay the fine you will be imprisoned....

hey!....maybe that's BO's plan to have "everything free, paid for by everyone else"....prison care....:lol:

Ryan's voucher is each senior get 8,000 per person or 16,000 per couple. to pay for yearly coverage for an insurance plan. You can choose a private plan or any of the many Medicare insurance plans. All of the Medicare insurance plans are way under 16,000 per year so it will cover the yearly premium costs.
additional assistance is given for lower income people.
There is no one 55 years of age and up who will be affected by the changes.
This plan saves about 300 billion a year.

"Ryan's voucher is each senior get 8,000 per person or 16,000 per couple." Well you got that right but you left out the most important caveat and that is the fact that the voucher's annual increases to pay for the increased private insurance premium raises will be based on total inflation using the CPI as the cornerstone. The inflation rate for health care has historically, has increased at a greater rate than the CPI.
This is a huge sticking point that Raul Ryan never addresses and neither do the posters who support Ryan's Medicare plan. And I'm not wondering why.
The below graph shows the increase rate of the cost of health care versus the CPI. (Click on graph to enlarge).

Last edited:
Either plan screws seniors. Obamacare draws funds from Medicare to finance it. With the Ryan plan, seniors will end up paying most of their medical costs as medical cost rise. And of course both plans have insurance companies in the driver's seat.

hey!....maybe that's BO's plan to have "everything free, paid for by everyone else"....prison care....:lol:

I'm 100% against the mandate. I would hope that little gem gets tossed but it will probably go to the Supreme Court,,eventually.

"if you don't pay the fine you will be imprisoned...." Got a link that states that and is the link non-partisan?

fyi on Obamacare....

guess what's gonna happen when it kicks in...?

after all the new mandates to buy health care (or else)....
after all the new subsidies which includes millions of poor illegals....

with more people forced into the system...

the demand for doctors and medical services will sharply increase....

so prices for medical servies will go UP...

then your insurance premiums will go UP...

taxes on everything medical will go UP...

people will start screaming about prices....

government will then try to "cap" price spikes...

shortages of personnel will occur...

shortages of health care services will occur...

then come the long waiting lists.....

then comes rationed health care....

ObamaDon'tCare...

I'm 100% against the mandate. I would hope that little gem gets tossed but it will probably go to the Supreme Court,,eventually.

"if you don't pay the fine you will be imprisoned...." Got a link that states that and is the link non-partisan?

why do you think BO has increased the number of IRS agents.....?

what happens to people who refuse to pay their taxes, late fees, fines, etc.....?

Either plan screws seniors. Obamacare draws funds from Medicare to finance it. With the Ryan plan, seniors will end up paying most of their medical costs as medical cost rise. And of course both plans have insurance companies in the driver's seat.

And that's the big problem.
Here we are, the US pays about double what every other country pays for health care. Neither plan addresses the outrageous cost increases of the necessity of health care. If the health care industry could get their administrative costs down to Medicare/other countries percentage wise and operated with the same profit margin they now realize, we wouldn't be having this discussion. There would be no Obamacare or a Ryan plan to reform Medicare.

Last edited:

It doesn't screw seniors who are 55 or over....

With Obamacare....Medicare will go BROKE....very quickly....

then what....?

death panels to get rid of them...?

then what....?

Ryan's plan doesn't screw over those over 55 but it screws those under 55 as the chart in a previous post clearly shows.
Ryan doesn't want to talk about it and neither do the supports of Ryan's plan, which is basically corporate welfare for the health care insurance industry. They come out like bandits with Ryan's plan, while those who need health care insurance and who live on a fixed income get thrown under the bus.

And that's the big problem.
Here we are, the US pays about double what every other country pays for health care. Neither plan addresses the outrageous cost increases of the necessity of health care. If the health care industry could get their administrative costs down to Medicare/other countries percentage wise and operated with the same profit margin they now realize, we wouldn't be having this discussion. There would be no Obamacare or a Ryan plan to reform Medicare.

the main problem is not "administrative costs"....

the U.S. pays about $650 billion (2008) more for health care than other countries.....much due to free emergency care....

Our research indicates that the United States spends $650 billion more on health care than might be expected given the country’s wealth and the experience of comparable members of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). The research also pinpoints where that extra spending goes. Roughly two-thirds of it pays for outpatient care, including visits to physicians, same-day hospital treatment, and emergency-room care. The next-largest contributors to the extra spending are drugs and administration and insurance.

Why Americans pay more for health care - McKinsey Quarterly - Health Care - Strategy & Analysis

Last edited:

then what....?

Ryan's plan doesn't screw over those over 55 but it screws those under 55 as the chart in a previous post clearly shows.
Ryan doesn't want to talk about it and neither do the supports of Ryan's plan, which is basically corporate welfare for the health care insurance industry. They come out like bandits with Ryan's plan, while those who need health care insurance and who live on a fixed income get thrown under the bus.

yeah they don't get the free ride anymore but those under 55 still have time to plan and save for their old age....

however with BOcare.... BOTH those under AND over 55 get screwed....Medicare will no longer exist...

Last edited:
The inflation rate for health care has historically, has increased at a greater rate than the CPI.

And why do you think that is? That extraordinary inflation only happen after LBJ screwed with the healthcare system in this country. All the subsequent meddling in healthcare at the state and federal level (from Dems and Repubs alike) only made the situation worse. Limit real competition and prices go up.

Forum List

Back