Russia pushes for Iranian membership in NATO counterweight group

Vikrant

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2013
The U.S.
Holy Guacamole!

---

Russia wants Iran to receive full membership in a geopolitical organization designed as a partial counterweight to NATO and other western pacts, a move that would likely deepen the economic and military ties between the two governments.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov called for Iran's speedy accession to the Shanghai Cooperation Organization, a group of Central Asian states dominated by Russia and China that fosters military and economic cooperation between the members. He issued the call within days of Secretary of State Rex Tillerson signaling a desire to impose sanctions that former President Barack Obama lifted under the terms of the recently-negotiated nuclear deal.

Russia wants Iran to receive full membership in a geopolitical organization designed as a partial counterweight to NATO and other western pacts, a move that would likely deepen the economic and military ties between the two governments.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov called for Iran's speedy accession to the Shanghai Cooperation Organization, a group of Central Asian states dominated by Russia and China that fosters military and economic cooperation between the members. He issued the call within days of Secretary of State Rex Tillerson signaling a desire to impose sanctions that former President Barack Obama lifted under the terms of the recently-negotiated nuclear deal.

Russia pushes for Iranian membership in NATO counterweight group

By the looks of the current situation Syria I think I'd be leery tying my pony to that hitch-in post.

Is India a member
26 April 1996 China Founders
Kazakhstan
Kyrgyzstan
Russia
Tajikistan
15 June 2001 Uzbekistan First Enlargement

Acceding States
India (Memorandum on accession signed in June 2016)
Pakistan (Memorandum on accession signed in June 2016)

Observer States
Afghanistan
Belarus
Iran
Mongolia

Dialogue Partners
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Cambodia
Nepal
Sri Lanka
Turkey

Guest Attendances
ASEAN formed on 8 August 1967 by Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, and Thailand, expanded to include Brunei, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, and Vietnam.
CIS Nine out of the 15 former Soviet Republics are member states, and two are associate members (Ukraine and Turkmenistan). Georgia withdrew its membership in 2008, while the Baltic states (Estonia, Lithuania and Latvia) chose not to participate.
Turkmenistan

Last edited:
Is India a member
26 April 1996 China Founders
Kazakhstan
Kyrgyzstan
Russia
Tajikistan
15 June 2001 Uzbekistan First Enlargement

Acceding States
India (Memorandum on accession signed in June 2016)
Pakistan (Memorandum on accession signed in June 2016)

Observer States
Afghanistan
Belarus
Iran
Mongolia

Dialogue Partners
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Cambodia
Nepal
Sri Lanka
Turkey

Guest Attendances
ASEAN
CIS
Turkmenistan

So China is the founder. That explains the name Sanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO).

I goofed. Didn't read enough. Sorry about that. This could be a dangerous alliance, though they are all aligned really already.
Ain't gonna happen.

Why not?

The founder of SCO is China. So how bad can this get? From what I know China is an awesome country.
Communist regimes are not awesome. Many of the people there are wonderful but the normal everyday people are merely vassal subjects to the elites.

I goofed. Didn't read enough. Sorry about that. This could be a dangerous alliance, though they are all aligned really already.
Ain't gonna happen.

Why not?

The founder of SCO is China. So how bad can this get? From what I know China is an awesome country.

oy

China and Iran joining hands through SCO. That will be interesting as both are ancient civilizations destined towards greatness.

Ain't gonna happen.

Why not?

oy

China and Iran joining hands through SCO. That will be interesting as both are ancient civilizations destined towards greatness.

Iran of today has nothing at all to do with the ANCIENT
Persian culture------even Iranians admit that. They do not
even bother with the Persian calendar-----they do use some
vestiges of the ancient language because Arabic is difficult

oy

Well, there is a strong possibility that China may be able to help Iran get in touch with its ancient civilization. I do not see why not.

oy

Well, there is a strong possibility that China may be able to help Iran get in touch with its ancient civilization. I do not see why not.

oh gee-----if you do not------you are very DIM

oy

What are you disputing? Be specific.

extreme naivete' ISLAM IS THE EPITOME OF
CIVILIZATION------did you not know

What are you disputing? Be specific.

Forum List

Back