Rubio vs Obama and natural born citizenship?

Yes a citizen, but not a Constitutional Article 2 Section 1 natural born Citizen. He is basically a anchor baby if both parents weren't naturalized before he was born.

There is no legal designation 'Anchor Baby.' :rolleyes: He is a natural born US citizen.

No he is not a Constitutional natural born Citizen. He is most likely a statute 14th Amendment Citizen.

There are no such designations. He IS a 'natural born US citizen.' That's it.

There is no legal designation 'Anchor Baby.' :rolleyes: He is a natural born US citizen.

No he is not a Constitutional natural born Citizen. He is most likely a statute 14th Amendment Citizen.

There are no such designations. He IS a 'natural born US citizen.' That's it.
Oh yes there is. Tell me. What is the difference between a Article 2 Section 1 natural born Citizen and a 14th Amendment Citizen?

No one in the country has stamped on their birth certificate or social security file '14th Amendment Citizen' or 'Article 2 Citizen.' No such legal distinctions exist outside your fevered imagination. One is either a natural born US citizen (like Rubio) or one is a naturalized US citizen (like David Ortiz). That's it. Rubio is a natural born US citizen. Don't believe me? Go ask an immigration attorney, and then STFU.

No one in the country has stamped on their birth certificate or social security file '14th Amendment Citizen' or 'Article 2 Citizen.' No such legal distinctions exist outside your fevered imagination. One is either a natural born US citizen (like Rubio) or one is a naturalized US citizen (like David Ortiz). That's it. Rubio is a natural born US citizen. Don't believe me? Go ask an immigration attorney, and then STFU.

Thats what I thought too, I have never in my life heard of this 14th amendment citizens or whatever else people are talking about on here.

Thats what I thought too, I have never in my life heard of this 14th amendment citizens or whatever else people are talking about on here.

I think some people skim over their laminated copy of 'US Constitution for Kids,' pick out a phrase they don't really understand, and convince themselves that they have made some amazing discovery (like Nicolas Cage in that terrible movie). They then determine to go out and share their genius with the world no matter how comically wrong they may actually be.

I wasn't talking about birth certificates or social security numbers. Yes there are distinctions between a Article 2 natural born Citizen and a 14th Amendment Citizen. John Bingham, one of the architects of the 14th Amendment defined a Constitutional Article 2 Section 1natural born Citizen as this:

“Every human being born within the jurisdiction of the United States of parents not owing allegiance to any foreign sovereignty is, in the language of your Constitution itself, a natural born citizen.” (Cong. Globe, 39th, 1st Sess., 1291 (1866))

Do you disagree with Bingham?

What do you think the 14th Amendment citizens are?

Fred_Garvin has not made a point that is worth really rebutting other than noting it is not really worth rebutting.

Rubio is a citizen.

Obama is a citizen.

They are both eligible for office in compliance with the Constitution.

I wasn't talking about birth certificates or social security numbers. Yes there are distinctions between a Article 2 natural born Citizen and a 14th Amendment Citizen. John Bingham, one of the architects of the 14th Amendment defined a Constitutional Article 2 Section 1natural born Citizen as this:

“Every human being born within the jurisdiction of the United States of parents not owing allegiance to any foreign sovereignty is, in the language of your Constitution itself, a natural born citizen.” (Cong. Globe, 39th, 1st Sess., 1291 (1866))

You are making a fool of yourself. There is no distiction between citizens other than naturalized or natural born. That's it. Rubio is a natural born US citizen.

Go read Title 8 of the US Code if it helps quiet the voices in your head.

I read that Rubio was born in Miami to parents who were both Cuban citizens at the time of his birth. I have also read that it doesn't matter if Obama was born in Hawaii or not because according to the Constitution's definition, his father wasn't a citizen of the USA so Obama can't be a natural born citizen. The other arguments I have read, have people saying that because Obama's mother was a citizen and he was born here, he is a natural born citizen. So if either argument rings true. There is no possible way Rubio can be a natural born citizen if one of your parents has to be a citizen. Right?

The citizenship clause of the 14th amendment to the constitution reads:
"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside."

As SCOTUS has affirmed this (United States v. Wong Kim Ark 169 U.S. 649 (1898)) saying essentially that a person born in this country - other than the child of a foreign dignitary or an invading force - is a citizen of this country. This is known as jus soli.

jus sanguinis - right of blood - is not recognized as a determining factor for citizenship by the constitution. In other words, it doesn't matter where your parents were born.

You are making a fool of yourself. There is no distiction between citizens other than naturalized or natural born. That's it. Rubio is a natural born US citizen.

By disagreeing with a architect of the 14th Amendment, it is you who is being a fool. Show me where the specific term 'natural born Citizen' is within Title 8 U.S. Code 1401. I await your results.

By disagreeing with a architect of the 14th Amendment, it is you who is being a fool. Show me where the specific term 'natural born Citizen' is within Title 8 U.S. Code 1401. I await your results.

I haven't "disagreed" with anything. You just don't know what you are trying to talk about.

You didn't read the code, did you? Do you not care how foolish you look, or are you really this deluded?

Constitutional Topic: Citizenship - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

Last edited:

I haven't "disagreed" with anything. You just don't know what you are trying to talk about.

You didn't read the code, did you? Do you not care how foolish you look, or are you really this deluded?
That website is misleading. Show me in the 14th Amendment's TEXT where the specific term 'natural born Citizen' is mentioned like it is mentioned specifically in Article 2 Section 1, the presidential clause.

For reminders. The presidential clause:

No person except a [natural born Citizen], or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty-five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.

Last edited:
Yes a citizen, but not a Constitutional Article 2 Section 1 natural born Citizen. He is basically a anchor baby if both parents weren't naturalized before he was born.

There is no valid basis to say that a person born here is not a natural born citizen (excepting of course the children of those born to diplomats).

Multiple citizenship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Citizenship of multiple countries

Individual countries follow their own rationales in establishing their criteria for citizenship. Each country has different requirements for citizenship, as well as different policies regarding dual citizenship. These laws sometimes leave gaps where the acquisition of other citizenships does not render the original citizenship invalid, creating a possible situation for an individual to hold two or more nationalities. Here are common reasons to bestow citizenship:
At least one parent is a citizen (jus sanguinis).
The person was born on the country's territory (jus soli)
The person marries a person holding the citizenship (jure matrimonii).[1]
The person becomes naturalized.
The person was adopted from another country as a minor and at least one adoptive parent is a citizen.[2]
The person makes a substantial monetary investment: Austria,[3] Cyprus, Dominica and St. Kitts & Nevis

What the Dept. of State says about it is more pertinent.

And Dept. of State does not alter U.S. law.

A child born in Italy to One American and one Italian parent may be a natural born ITALIAN citizen but the kid is NOT an American citizen -- and it gets no dual citizenship.

It may, however, later be naturalized.

US State Department Services Dual Nationality

Does it matter if the couple is married?

Not in the scenario you based the hypothetical question on. No.

So basically only a person born in the US can run for President? what about John McCain? he was born in Panama.
No. McCain could run because he was born in Panama which was US territory at that time and the fact that he was born to TWO U.S. Citizen parents. A senate meeting had to be held to confirm that he was a natural born Citizen. It was called Senate Resolution 511 stating he was born to citizen parents (plural).

Hmm interesting, didn't know that.

You still don't. :D

The Senate (alone) saying something doesn't make it so.

And they need not have said it anyway. He was born to two US citizen parents, so he was an American citizen AT birth.

That website is misleading. Show me in the 14th Amendment's TEXT where the specific term 'natural born Citizen' is mentioned like it is mentioned specifically in Article 2 Section 1, the presidential clause.

Holy crap you're stupid. "Citizens of the United States at birth" means 'natural born citizen,' you idiot.

Marco Rubio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Marco Antonio Rubio (born May 28, 1971) is the junior United States Senator from Florida, serving since January 2011. A member of the Republican Party, he previously served as Speaker of the Florida House of Representatives (2007–2009).

Born to Cuban immigrants, Rubio was raised in Miami, Florida, and Las Vegas, Nevada

Cuban immigrants who immigrated here legally making them american citizens ;)

Why do you keep saying that? It's not true. LOTS of people can come here legally. That doesn't make them citizens.

Forum List

Back