Root Cause of US Education System Failure

What are the "root causes" for the US education system failure?

• Its entirely the teacher's fault

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Its the teachers unions and the liberal attitudes i.e. "social promotion", etc.

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • Its the total lack of discipline, bring back old style discipline

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • The teachers fear the kids, the kids have guns now...seriously...real guns

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Its society, too much TV, to many distractions like texting, TV, radio, video games, etc

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • Its the parents' fault, they are simply too busy to keep the kids focused on their studies

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • its the politicians' fault, their tax policies penalize parents and reward welfare queens

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • politicians' fault allowing illegals in i.e. a demographics failure, growing the wrong segments

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • The successful focus on themselves instead of creating families...not producing offspring

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Its actually the combination of all of the above

Votes: 10 27.8%

• Total voters
Was socioeconomics listed on the poll? This is kind of a no-brainer, but rarely mentioned in these types of discussions.

New Jersey has some of the best public schools in the nation. Ask admissions directors of the most selective colleges — the Ivies and Stanford and MIT and liberal arts colleges like Amherst and Haverford. Check out results from national tests like the National Assessment of Educational Progress — New Jersey ranks in the top five. Some of the best schools — because it has some of the richest communities in the nation.

The state also has some of the worst public schools — because it also has some of the poorest and most racially segregated communities in America.

Wealth and achievement are inextricably linked. Give the College Board, the agency that produces the SAT Reasoning Test, your family income numbers and your race and educational level of your parents and it will predict your scores and almost always be right.

Bob Braun: Idea of failing N.J. public schools promoted by politicians, privatizers, celebrities | NJ.com

Of course this writer is arguing for even MORE money for "poor schools" even though NJ spends twice as much in those areas already. It has to do with community values and parents. Swimming pools, laptops, and steak and eggs for breakfast is not going to raise test scores in the inner cities. "Better teachers" (whatever that means) isn't going to do it either. It has to come from within.

I was thinking Japan, but whoever is listed #1 - #10, America should take a look at, and copy what works. At this point we have nothing to lose.

Here is a simple explanation. Country With the World's Most Successful Educational System

Yes, the US should be made to have a 99% culturally homogeneous citizenry with ridgidly defined economic classes based on a 1000 years of tradition.

No problem.

this is exactly the issue with trying to transfer policy from one nation to the next.

All 3 of my kids are a product of public education.
My youngest son graduated UGA last May at age 20 an honor student. He is enrolled there for his Masters.
My oldest son is graduating this semester at age 24.
My daughter is a senior in high school and has offers from all over.
FAMILY and community overcome all else.
Teachers, unions and all the other stuff is BS.

this is certainly the case. i think that everyone is entitled to point this out except for those with the responsibility for developing education themselves. at some point, the school system has to recognize a responsibility to inject some of the principles which cultivate performing students into the curriculum of underperforming students, or the system at large. public schools need to function as a surrogate to parenting and its effect on student motivation and performance expectations. it is more important than teaching the lessons themselves in primary education.

the amount of bullshit which the public school system experiments with instead indicates their willingness to try something new, but the methods which they've chosen indicates their ineptitude as well. instead of teaching the values performing students are taught, they're busy innovating ways to retard their curriculum for underperforming students.

Just watching Meet the Press showing that the US is at the bottom of developed countries' for education. The top US 5% of students are still in the lower half of the world's kids.

Why is this? Who has ideas how to improve the US kids' performance?

Is it the teachers? The teacher's unions? The parents? The apparent lack of discipline in schools? The kids are too distracted from studies? The drug culture and societal changes in younger sexuality (i.e. the kids get sexually active younger and studying takes a back-seat to fun in the back-seat)

Could it be that politicians penalized having kids so professionals had fewer kids and only the welfare queens had large families, then did not have the skills to educate or care for their large families?

Lets take a poll....
It's the parents fault. PERIOD.
They are too stupid to vote....that's quite obvious......and have no business having children.

I was thinking Japan, but whoever is listed #1 - #10, America should take a look at, and copy what works. At this point we have nothing to lose.

Here is a simple explanation. Country With the World's Most Successful Educational System

Yes, the US should be made to have a 99% culturally homogeneous citizenry with ridgidly defined economic classes based on a 1000 years of tradition.

No problem.

this is exactly the issue with trying to transfer policy from one nation to the next.

Exactly.

The USA, however, is at the opposite extreme from any other nation in the world:

1. NOBODY has 1000 years of tradition
2. We are no where near culturally homogeneous
3. We have a comparatively HUGE middle class.

The teachers and it's union failed our our kids.

Bush put of a plan to hold them accountabel and they set out to prove no GOP idea could work.

My kids breeze through every test except the BIG ONE. They come home stressed out everyday for a month, repeating what the teachers have told them about how super important this one is to be perfect on and if they don't do well they are doomed.

I lost all respect for them when they screwed our kids over b/c they hate being held responsible.

The US has for years assimilated immigrants, brought up those economically disadvantaged, with DOE. Since it's inception, it's been the model of Lilliputians and Gulliver.

There's no argument that private education, usually parochial has out performed public sector over time, because of higher standards and emphasis on basics. However, immigrants that were not able to access parochial/private, often excelled after public school education.

Comparing private to public school education is like comparing apples and oranges. By the very fact that parents are paying to send their kid to private school shows that they give a shit about their kids education

Try sending kids from single parent households or from parents who are drug addicts to private schools and see how they compare

I guess you are ignorant of how many immigrants have gone through parochial education without paying tuition? Parents and students work for school. Was done 100 years ago and still is done today.

Doesn't working at the school to pay tuition show that you are interested in your childs education?

Bush put of a plan to hold them accountabel and they set out to prove no GOP idea could work.

My kids breeze through every test except the BIG ONE. They come home stressed out everyday for a month, repeating what the teachers have told them about how super important this one is to be perfect on and if they don't do well they are doomed.

I lost all respect for them when they screwed our kids over b/c they hate being held responsible.

The strength of teacher's unions in public schools is a highly localized phenomena.

I would suggest investigating this dimension before buying a house.

Aren't you and your poor kids the pitiful victims! :doubt: :rolleyes:

Oh wait, you're a brand new member with a preposterously written post, and you're trying to make Bush-lovers look like idiots.

I think you're a loser who needs a better hobby. :eusa_whistle:

The root cause is the deterioration of the family unit in America. Children aren't able to do well in school when they have minimal family structure and a lack of at least basic behavioral skills.

though most of the reasons listed have some affect of education in America I would say that
the REAL MAIN REASON that public education is a failure is because we lump kids together using the WRONG criteria; age

we should be lumping them together using their level of intellect and maturity and NOT their age

not all 6 year olds are on the same intellectual/maturity level

but you can find some 5, some 6, some 7 and some 8 years olds who ARE on the same level....lump them together in one class and you'll find the teaching/learning experience to be much better

trying to get 30 kids, all of whom are on DIFFERENT INTELLECTUAL/MATURITY levels, to be on the same page is time consuming and, quite often, futile

and what a waste of precious time for the more highly developed kids to have to always be waiting for the lower element to be catching up

Last edited:

Oh wait, you're a brand new member with a preposterously written post, and you're trying to make Bush-lovers look like idiots.

using the worn out tattered term "Bush-lovers" makes you the idiot. And there was nothing even remotely preposterous about what she wrote.

All 3 of my kids are a product of public education.
My youngest son graduated UGA last May at age 20 an honor student. He is enrolled there for his Masters.
My oldest son is graduating this semester at age 24.
My daughter is a senior in high school and has offers from all over.
FAMILY and community overcome all else.
Teachers, unions and all the other stuff is BS.

I grew up in Athens, GA and am a product of the public school system there. I was in "gifted" from grade 2 through high school, took 4 years of foreign language as well as art classes. I went to UGA until my financial aid fell through... I was working full and part time and going to school full time. Took me forever to finish. There are public school systems that do really well - mine produced scads of ivy leaguers... of course, the fact that we had the university right next door was also a bonus. We could take classes there, do early enrollment... oh, and our school was directly across from the "projects" with 80% of the student body "minority". So, how were we different???

The root cause is the deterioration of the family unit in America. Children aren't able to do well in school when they have minimal family structure and a lack of at least basic behavioral skills.

You know, I also have to say, I blame lack of nutrition + sugar overload for a lot of our kids' problems in school, and in our society as well. They eat crap, hardly any vegetables and the ones they do eat have greatly diminshed nutritional value due to chemical farming and monoculture. Look at all the ADHD, autism, depression etc... And look at the "western diet". This is a prime example where capitalism is failing (and killing) us. Fast, disposable, empty calories... that's what our diet - and culture consist of.

Aren't you and your poor kids the pitiful victims! :doubt: :rolleyes:

Have anything converstional to say? Or are you one of those trolls that attack people for voicing their opinions based on life?

The entire school system blows, the only constant is the union. It's simple math, or are you not "good with numbers"? :lol:

our colleges are the best, does anybody who really cares about eduction really stop at high school?

using the worn out tattered term "Bush-lovers" makes you the idiot. And there was nothing even remotely preposterous about what she wrote.

:clap2: Thank you. While I am new to the site, I'm used to dealing with trolls. They are on every site and make themselves known quickly. :clap2:

FYI

I'm a man :eek:

All of the above?

You could include information overload as well. Kids need to learn fractions in 1st grade now so the are ready for pre algebra in the 4th grade. Consequently, half of them can't tell time. We are demanding too much; too soon and if the kids don't get it - oh well. Have to move on.

The rest of the world's kids are not having capacity issues. Is it that the US education system is broken, or we simply need to make smarter kids?

We need to make smarter parents. Parents who spend time with their children, teaching them traditional basic values and principles. Parents who involve themselves in their kids lives, on a personal level. Parents who help the kids teachers by supporting what is left of the teachers authority. Parents who look at kids homework and help improve their studying habits. So many couples should not have kids unless they are willing to devote much time and energy developing their children's character. I realize though that many parents lack these necessary tools because they themselves are devoid. "Useless as a youth, useless as a man." -Chinese Proverb

Last edited:

Forum List

Back