Root Cause of US Education System Failure

Discussion in 'Politics' started by kyzr, Sep 26, 2010.

?

What are the "root causes" for the US education system failure?

1. Its entirely the teacher's fault

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Its the teachers unions and the liberal attitudes i.e. "social promotion", etc.

16 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. Its the total lack of discipline, bring back old style discipline

10 vote(s)
    27.8%
  4. The teachers fear the kids, the kids have guns now...seriously...real guns

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Its society, too much TV, to many distractions like texting, TV, radio, video games, etc

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
  6. Its the parents' fault, they are simply too busy to keep the kids focused on their studies

16 vote(s)
    44.4%
  7. its the politicians' fault, their tax policies penalize parents and reward welfare queens

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
  8. politicians' fault allowing illegals in i.e. a demographics failure, growing the wrong segments

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  9. The successful focus on themselves instead of creating families...not producing offspring

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  10. Its actually the combination of all of the above

10 vote(s)
    27.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. kyzr

kyzr Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +630
    Just watching Meet the Press showing that the US is at the bottom of developed countries' for education. The top US 5% of students are still in the lower half of the world's kids.

Why is this? Who has ideas how to improve the US kids' performance?

Is it the teachers? The teacher's unions? The parents? The apparent lack of discipline in schools? The kids are too distracted from studies? The drug culture and societal changes in younger sexuality (i.e. the kids get sexually active younger and studying takes a back-seat to fun in the back-seat)

Could it be that politicians penalized having kids so professionals had fewer kids and only the welfare queens had large families, then did not have the skills to educate or care for their large families?

Lets take a poll....

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,018
  3. fyrenza

fyrenza Ariel Looney Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +378
    My sister-in-law is a teacher, and I know for a fact that the schools are Teaching The Tests, i.e. TASP.

When you STANDARDIZE a Performance Test, and base funding upon the results,

you get exactly what we're stuck with ~

students that ONLY know The Answers to those tests, and haven't the vaguest idea of how to THINK nor DEAL in the real world.

4. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,018
    Progressives have controlled our educational system and unions and they make sure American students have no connect with their past, no ability to think or act independently and a love for all things big gubbamint

The DoE needs to be burned to the ground

5. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,380
    Idiocracy at work

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  6. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    All of the above?

You could include information overload as well. Kids need to learn fractions in 1st grade now so the are ready for pre algebra in the 4th grade. Consequently, half of them can't tell time. We are demanding too much; too soon and if the kids don't get it - oh well. Have to move on.

7. kyzr

kyzr Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +630
    The rest of the world's kids are not having capacity issues. Is it that the US education system is broken, or we simply need to make smarter kids?

8. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,966
    It's the right wing.

They want to end the Department of Education.

They don't want to pay for schools.

They don't see the value of education. This has resulted in an enormous drop out rate. PROOF: How could anyone vote for a vice presidential candidate whose daughter is a drop out un wed mother and who rolls her eyes at the teaching profession?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9lA1s4LUYA]YouTube - sarah palin rolls eyes at teacher[/ame]

Last Saturday, I watched the widow of Carl Sagen get shouted down by two conservatives on a talk show. Apparently, scientists are liars and fools who are not only lazy, but on the take.

When you have half of the country undermining and delegitimizing education, is it any wonder people stop? After all, education is hard work. Calling it a "worthless piece a paper" only makes the situation worse. Rewriting textbooks in Texas is a disaster.

We are seeing the fruits of 30 years of Republicans fighting education and winning.

9. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Bullshit. The best schools in NJ are in Republican districts. Gee - I wonder why.

10. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    Part of social promotion.

In my parent's time, you moved up when you knew the material. Period. End of discussion.

This meant my mom had 16 year old kids in her third grade class.

Also promotion was done twice a year. If you knew the material, you went up. They didn't keep you hanging around folks who couldn't hack the material, so you were wasting your time.

A lot of the times it is the really bright students who are the discipline problems. Kids who are bored are in the mood to create their own excitement.

Rose Friedman, Milton's wife, moved to Portland from Russia when she was 8 or 9. ESL help was only available for a very short time, then you were thrown in to the population at your grade level. It was expected that if you were in America, you spoke the American vulgate because you wanted to be part of this experience. Despite going to kindergarten at age nine, she graduated high school by 16.

The classes really need to be student centered rather than unions centered.