Romney

Romney created the system that Obamacare is based on.

Please don't be so disingenuous.

You know his model was for a STATE plan.

Not a nationwide, take it or pay a tax, plan

Which doesn't negate the FACT that Obamacare is based on Romney care.

Romneycare wasn't 1200+ pages long....:eusa_whistle:

Obamacare takes parts of Romneycare, adds about a billion other things, and can't even pay for it at implementation....

Not sure what you mean by 'has done more harm than good' BDB.

I look at Romney's resume and see that he has mostly accomplished what he sets out to do. And he has left whatever forum/entity/platform in better shape than he found it. Has he made mistakes. Almost certainly. Does he get it wrong sometimes. Sure. He's as human as anybody else. But none of that takes away from his successes and accomplishments which are considerable and impressive.
I agree.

Aside from his tax records, and where he keeps his money.
So, if he brings a solid pro business sense, a love of America, an instinct to help instead of hurt, and doesn't try to pick winners and losers and/or make government the end all for every problem, he won't fix everything that ails us, but he will give us a leg up on turning us loose to fix a lot of what ails us.

I believe Romney will not intentionally do any harm.
I don't think Romney will intentionally do any harm. That's as ridiculous as the people who claim that Obama is intentionally destroying America because he "hates" it.

Obama and Romney are just people with ideas. Both of them think that they know how to solve the problems we're facing. Both of them "love" America, and are trying to do what they think is best.

I personally don't agree with either of them.

My opinions on this may be ridiculous but they are 100% informed opinions. I believe Romney loves America because he has lived his life supporting the values that have made America great, he speaks of it in positive terms, and he has devoted his life to problem solving and/or in service for the benefit of others, often without any personal gain for himself. It is pretty hard to make a similar case for the current resident of the White House.
I disagree - I think it's pretty easy to make a similar case for Obama. Perhaps even a more fitting one.

Romney's background is in business, Obama's background is in community service. Romney didn't run Bain Capital "without any personal gain". He didn't run the Olympics "without personal gain".

I don't think that a background in business is a bad thing, but it's not reason for beatification either.

We can debate whether his tax returns beyond what is asked of ANY presidential candidate or where he keeps his money when he is not in any elective office is fair game for criticism. We can also debate whether he has to expose his entire family to being nitpicked and scrutinized with a huge magnifying glass if he provides more personal information than is required of ANY presidential candidate. There is no suggestion that he acquired any of his wealth dishonorably, illegally, or unethically and that should be sufficient to allow him some privacy.
I don't think that any candidate should be forced to show anything. I'm not saying that I care to Romney's tax records. Just countering your claim that he's a completely "open book".
There is a lot of evidence that he has given more of his personal wealth, time, talent, and energy to others with no monetary benefit to himself than probably any President in U.S. history.
I don't know what "evidence" you're talking about, but I also don't really care.
And disagreement with anybody, including who is President or running for the office, is perfectly allowed under the freedoms we have.
Of course.

Is it a fact? Or does the Administration use Romneycare to justify Obamacare? Or to attack Romney? But even if the developers of Obamacare took some of their ideas from Romneycare, it doesn't really change anything. The fact remains that Obamacare is intended to control all the healthcare for the entire nation of more than 300 million widely diverse people. Romneycare was developed to address a very small state with a unified and homogenous population that is smaller than New York City.

You have to support that claim.

If you want debate, then DEBATE!

Don't just spew cheap talk - support claims, present logical arguments, etc.

Having not made up my mind yet on Mitt Romney, in my humble opinion I see Mitt Romney more as a moderate than I do as a conservative and in these days while some think that is a bad thing I myself do not. While he seemed to govern more as a Moderate his current stances on things lean more conservative, but I tend to see those as more to shore up the base of the party rather than an indication of how he will govern the nation. On a personal level, he seems like a genuine family man that loves his nation and yes as some would call him a bit boring , perhaps thats not such a bad thing. Let me explain, maybe just maybe we might benefit from a President that would have less controversy around him than perhaps our current President or the one before him. His downside appears to be his detachment from the average American in terms of their financial well being , as it would be hard for any person with his amount of wealth to understand that. The other downside I see with Mitt Romney as President is that he has surrounded himself with a number of former Bush Adminstration foreign policy types that I have a strong disagreement with in terms of what the US Military footprint should be around the world. Overall however, I have my PAC paid ad filter on as most of those from both sides are meaningless and do not tell me a thing about the candidate and are for the most part propaganda , so I await Oct. to see how these men do when the actually debate one another to talk about the real issues facing this nation. It would be nice to see one of them come out of this debate focused on this nation, it's people and perhaps if we are lucky they might be able to give back to this nation a sense of pride in what it means to be an American.

Last edited:

Is it a fact? Or does the Administration use Romneycare to justify Obamacare? Or to attack Romney? But even if the developers of Obamacare took some of their ideas from Romneycare, it doesn't really change anything. The fact remains that Obamacare is intended to control all the healthcare for the entire nation of more than 300 million widely diverse people. Romneycare was developed to address a very small state with a unified and homogenous population that is smaller than New York City.

It is a fact, and it's giving credit where credit is due.

I've always thought the idea that "business acumen" was a qualification for President as being a little ridiculous.

Government and Business have different purposes. Knowing how to run one has no correlation to the other.

Sure about that? Both might have different purposes but they both operate to achieve a given goal. If you have run a business, you've dealt with stress, you've had to make tough, make-or-break decisions. You've had to surround yourself with smart people who can relay good information to you and whom you can rely on for an informed second opinion.

For the highest office of government, I'd much rather have someone with that experience than someone without it.

I do think a few of you good people do need to read CK's and Meister's rules (in the sticky) re this forum before proceeding any further. :)

Last edited:
I've always thought the idea that "business acumen" was a qualification for President as being a little ridiculous.

Government and Business have different purposes. Knowing how to run one has no correlation to the other.

Sure about that? Both might have different purposes but they both operate to achieve a given goal. If you have run a business, you've dealt with stress, you've had to make tough, make-or-break decisions. You've had to surround yourself with smart people who can relay good information to you and whom you can rely on for an informed second opinion.
Dealing with stress, and making tough, make-or-break decisions are not experiences limited to those who have run businesses. Nor is "surrounding yourself with smart people".
For the highest office of government, I'd much rather have someone with that experience than someone without it.

How would you know what experience a candidate has with "stress" and making "tough, make or break decisions"?

I never thought I'd vote for a Mormon for President, but Romney is exactly what the USA needs at this time. Iran will not obtain nukes,
How will Romney stop them?
he will stand for traditional American values,
What "traditional American values" does Romney stand for, that Obama does not?

What correlation is there between how "business" works and how "government" works? The US Executive Branch isn't a "business".
and how to create success.
"Create success" is a completely meaningless phrase.
All of this is what Obama is opposed to. Barky has to go.
How is Obama "opposed" to any of those things?

I only answer one question to one post.

Romney will stop Iran the way they should be stopped. Bomb their bomb factories.

Obamacare is based on Romneycare. In 2007, on Meet the Press, then-Governor Romney defended mandates and encouraged President Obama to copy his Massachusetts mandate model. Romney said, “Those who follow the path we pursued, will find it’s the best path. And we’ll end up with a nation that’s taken a mandate approach.” Governor Romney has yet to distance himself from Romneycare.

In fact, he’s been proud to highlight and defend it as a major accomplishment for the state of Massachusetts. Defending mandates is a strange position to take for a supposed “Republican” but it’s even stranger when you consider exit polls in the Massachusetts primary show that 51% of conservative voters in Massachusetts believe that RomneyCare “goes to far.”

Obamacare Is Based On Romneycare!

And, from the perspective of the Office of the President,

Yesterday Jay Carney was asked about a recent Gallup poll showing that a large majority of Americans believe ObamaCare is unconstitutional. His response was to remind the press that ObamaCare was based on what was once a ‘very conservative idea’ from the Heritage Foundation and that its practical origins are from RomneyCare:

It begins – Jay Carney says ObamaCare based on RomneyCare » The Right Scoop -

Having not made up my mind yet on Mitt Romney, in my humble opinion I see Mitt Romney more as a moderate than I do as a conservative and in these days while some think that is a bad thing I myself do not. While he seemed to govern more as a Moderate his current stances on things lean more conservative, but I tend to see those as more to shore up the base of the party rather than an indication of how he will govern the nation.

Considering the political climate right now, having a moderate like Romney who can bring people together vs. drive them apart would definitely be a good thing.

On a personal level, he seems like a genuine family man that loves his nation and yes as some would call him a bit boring , perhaps thats not such a bad thing.

Of course it's not; it s a good thing. Anything a campaign can come up with to put down the other candidate, they're going to use it. But boring? Can there be a worse attack? Mike Tyson is anything but boring: does that make him a good candidate. Nope. Being boring usually means being stable and predictable: something that I think a lot of people who appreciate in the highest office.

His downside appears to be his detachment from the average American in terms of their financial well being , as it would be hard for any person with his amount of wealth to understand that.

Meh. The left would have the nation believe that anyone who is rich was born rich or used and took advantage of people on their way to the top. That may be true in some circumstances, it's not in most. Many successful business people are so because they grew up having little or nothing. It helped them learn the importance of family and hard work. Add some intelligence there and those values lead to a successful business career.

I've never got the impression from Romney that he hates the common man or shows disdain for them.

so I await Oct. to see how these men do when the actually debate one another to talk about the real issues facing this nation. It would be nice to see one of them come out of this debate focused on this nation, it's people and being to give back to this nation a sense of pride in what it means to be an American.

Yep.

Dealing with stress, and making tough, make-or-break decisions are not experiences limited to those who have run businesses. Nor is "surrounding yourself with smart people".

How would you know what experience a candidate has with "stress" and making "tough, make or break decisions"?

There is a plethora of information on the stress and tough decisions that Romney has incurred in his various projects. Analysis and summary and evaluation galore written by people with the credentials to do that re Romney. All one has to to is google it up and read up or watch any of the documentaries that have already been produced.

I never thought I'd vote for a Mormon for President, but Romney is exactly what the USA needs at this time. Iran will not obtain nukes,

What correlation is there between how "business" works and how "government" works? The US Executive Branch isn't a "business".

All of this is what Obama is opposed to. Barky has to go.

Romney will stop Iran the way they should be stopped. Bomb their bomb factories.

Did Romney say thats what he would do? bomb Iran?

It is a fact, and it's giving credit where credit is due.

That is kind of disingenuous...

It's like saying that a cruise ship is based on my little rowboat...

I don't how else anyone is going to stop them from building a nuke. Tell us another way.

He said he would back Israel against Iran should they take action against them.

He also declared Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, which apparently came as a big surprise to the Palestinians.

Aside from "He's not Obama." What do you seriously believe that he will bring to the Office of the President that will help America.

Specifics would be greatly appreciated. :)

Romney has actually worked for a living, from delivering newspapers in youth, running the Olympics, and being the governor of a state, besides operating businesses. He has much more experience at "working" and running businesses and governments. He has a solid moral compass, and isn't in search of himself. We need all of that right now.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back