Romney

Sure about that? Both might have different purposes but they both operate to achieve a given goal. If you have run a business, you've dealt with stress, you've had to make tough, make-or-break decisions. You've had to surround yourself with smart people who can relay good information to you and whom you can rely on for an informed second opinion.
Dealing with stress, and making tough, make-or-break decisions are not experiences limited to those who have run businesses. Nor is "surrounding yourself with smart people".
For the highest office of government, I'd much rather have someone with that experience than someone without it.

How would you know what experience a candidate has with "stress" and making "tough, make or break decisions"?

There is a plethora of information on the stress and tough decisions that Romney has incurred in his various projects. Analysis and summary and evaluation galore written by people with the credentials to do that re Romney. All one has to to is google it up and read up or watch any of the documentaries that have already been produced.

I don't doubt for a second that Romney has had stress in his life.

My point was that everyone has - not just those who've "run a business".

Dealing with stress, and making tough, make-or-break decisions are not experiences limited to those who have run businesses. Nor is "surrounding yourself with smart people".

It is when considering a large amount of people working underneath you who are dependent upon your decisions to be sound and correct in order to keep them in a job.

It seems like a lot of people hold a disdain for big business owners simply because they make a lot of money, thinking they're cruel and evil and step on people along the way. Fact is, they want to see the people that work for them succeed because it means the company as a whole succeeds. They also don't want to see all their employees out of a job because it means that the business has failed.

I only answer one question to one post.

Romney will stop Iran the way they should be stopped. Bomb their bomb factories.

Did Romney say thats what he would do? bomb Iran?

He said he would back Israel against Iran should they take action against them.

He also declared Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, which apparently came as a big surprise to the Palestinians.

Jerusalem belongs to Israel and everyone is just going to have to accept that.

Aside from "He's not Obama." What do you seriously believe that he will bring to the Office of the President that will help America.

Specifics would be greatly appreciated. :)

Hope and change.

Obama had his shot and in my opinion failed. Its time for him to go and time for a change. I dont care who takes his place..but obama has to go.

I never thought there would EVER be a day i would welcome a clinton back into office.... i would happily vote one of them back in to get rid of obama.

It is when considering a large amount of people working underneath you who are dependent upon your decisions to be sound and correct in order to keep them in a job.

It seems like a lot of people hold a disdain for big business owners simply because they make a lot of money, thinking they're cruel and evil and step on people along the way. Fact is, they want to see the people that work for them succeed because it means the company as a whole succeeds. They also don't want to see all their employees out of a job because it means that the business has failed.

Who has said that big business owners are "cruel and evil"?

Which doesn't negate the FACT that Obamacare is based on Romney care.

Is it a fact? Or does the Administration use Romneycare to justify Obamacare? Or to attack Romney? But even if the developers of Obamacare took some of their ideas from Romneycare, it doesn't really change anything. The fact remains that Obamacare is intended to control all the healthcare for the entire nation of more than 300 million widely diverse people. Romneycare was developed to address a very small state with a unified and homogenous population that is smaller than New York City.

It is a fact, and it's giving credit where credit is due.
Again, more cheap talk. DEBATE has a specific meaning. That means, if you make a claim, you support it with facts and a logical argument.

Otherwise, it is NOTHING but cheap talk.

Read.:

I also like Romney because I would like to see a First Lady in the house who doesn't feel the need to show off her arms all the time, and dresses the part.

Having not made up my mind yet on Mitt Romney, in my humble opinion I see Mitt Romney more as a moderate than I do as a conservative and in these days while some think that is a bad thing I myself do not. While he seemed to govern more as a Moderate his current stances on things lean more conservative, but I tend to see those as more to shore up the base of the party rather than an indication of how he will govern the nation.

Considering the political climate right now, having a moderate like Romney who can bring people together vs. drive them apart would definitely be a good thing.

On a personal level, he seems like a genuine family man that loves his nation and yes as some would call him a bit boring , perhaps thats not such a bad thing.

Of course it's not; it s a good thing. Anything a campaign can come up with to put down the other candidate, they're going to use it. But boring? Can there be a worse attack? Mike Tyson is anything but boring: does that make him a good candidate. Nope. Being boring usually means being stable and predictable: something that I think a lot of people who appreciate in the highest office.

His downside appears to be his detachment from the average American in terms of their financial well being , as it would be hard for any person with his amount of wealth to understand that.

Meh. The left would have the nation believe that anyone who is rich was born rich or used and took advantage of people on their way to the top. That may be true in some circumstances, it's not in most. Many successful business people are so because they grew up having little or nothing. It helped them learn the importance of family and hard work. Add some intelligence there and those values lead to a successful business career.

I've never got the impression from Romney that he hates the common man or shows disdain for them.

so I await Oct. to see how these men do when the actually debate one another to talk about the real issues facing this nation. It would be nice to see one of them come out of this debate focused on this nation, it's people and being to give back to this nation a sense of pride in what it means to be an American.

Yep.

Good debate going here. Kudos to both gentlemen. :)

Re Romney being 'out of touch', I would say that I AM the common man (okay woman but you get my drift.) Nowhere near wealthy; in fact I'm not sure we couldn't qualify for food stamps with the income we currently have, but we don't need them and it is highly unlikely that we would ever apply if we could qualify. We have worked for every penny we have ever received and exept for one very brief stint with the New Mexio State Police, and one contract I accepted to do a county wide survey one time, we have never received a dime from the government. We have not really held any glamorous jobs and have never been famous outside our relatively narrow experience.

And yet I am quite sure that all of you who oppose Romney and/lor who support Obama would say that "I am out of touch with the common man" because of the views that I hold.

Romney is not at all out of touch with me. He mostly speaks my language. He mostly recites my values and what I hold dear.

Last edited:

Seriously? Plenty of (far) left wingers. Occupyers. At the very least, the MSM in general shows a lot of disdain for big business including big oil, big pharmaceutical and of course, Wall Street.

Obamacare is based on Romneycare. In 2007, on Meet the Press, then-Governor Romney defended mandates and encouraged President Obama to copy his Massachusetts mandate model. Romney said, “Those who follow the path we pursued, will find it’s the best path. And we’ll end up with a nation that’s taken a mandate approach.” Governor Romney has yet to distance himself from Romneycare.

In fact, he’s been proud to highlight and defend it as a major accomplishment for the state of Massachusetts. Defending mandates is a strange position to take for a supposed “Republican” but it’s even stranger when you consider exit polls in the Massachusetts primary show that 51% of conservative voters in Massachusetts believe that RomneyCare “goes to far.”

Obamacare Is Based On Romneycare!

And, from the perspective of the Office of the President,

Yesterday Jay Carney was asked about a recent Gallup poll showing that a large majority of Americans believe ObamaCare is unconstitutional. His response was to remind the press that ObamaCare was based on what was once a ‘very conservative idea’ from the Heritage Foundation and that its practical origins are from RomneyCare:

It begins – Jay Carney says ObamaCare based on RomneyCare » The Right Scoop -

What was discussed in 2007 and what was delivered in 2012 are two completely different animals...

Seriously? Plenty of (far) left wingers. Occupyers. At the very least, the MSM in general shows a lot of disdain for big business including big oil, big pharmaceutical and of course, Wall Street.

I'd love to see a quote from the "MSM" that calls big business owners "cruel and evil".

Is it a fact? Or does the Administration use Romneycare to justify Obamacare? Or to attack Romney? But even if the developers of Obamacare took some of their ideas from Romneycare, it doesn't really change anything. The fact remains that Obamacare is intended to control all the healthcare for the entire nation of more than 300 million widely diverse people. Romneycare was developed to address a very small state with a unified and homogenous population that is smaller than New York City.

It is a fact, and it's giving credit where credit is due.

That is kind of disingenuous...

It's like saying that a cruise ship is based on my little rowboat...

But it is. Obama gave credit, Romney took credit.

Judging from how long it took Romney to assess the disaster of the London Olympics, he could bring a LOT to identifying and fixing the obamadisasters. Just ending obamacare is a huge good start. Restoring American support to our only ally in the middle east would be a huge benefit. As far as that goes, getting the muslim brotherhood out of the white house is a benefit all by itself.

Romney created the system that Obamacare is based on.

And he put it in place in one state. One state where it could be seen how well it worked, and what would need to be fixed.

Obama took a plan which was already starting to show some weaknesses and applied it to a gigantic nation.

There were two things Obama could have done which could have kept his promises to improve the healthcare in America and to not be so divisive, either of which would have allowed him to preserve his political capital for the other things he needed to work on and would not have had the suppressive effect that the year of paralysis of 2009 had on the economy.

First, he could have advanced a program which would encourage the 50 states to be 50 experiments in what works best, or more specifically in what works for them.

Second, he could have done his national initiatives in a piecemeal way focusing on the common ground. And if Republicans were dragging their heels on small easily explainable parts of it, he could have used his sway with the American people to get them to call their representatives to get it passed.

Unfortunately he didn't go that way. Instead he pushed a massive comprehensive anxiety-inducing regulatory behemoth which the nation was so opposed to that even Massachusetts elected a Republican to try to stop it.

It is disingenuous to suggest that Romney would have done that. Romney wouldn't have tried to force the nation to follow Massachusetts' model. Two things would have stopped him: his ability to recognize that the Massachusetts plan still had a lot of kinks to work out and his appreciation for the will of the people when they made their voices known from their various states.

Last edited:
Obamacare is based on Romneycare. In 2007, on Meet the Press, then-Governor Romney defended mandates and encouraged President Obama to copy his Massachusetts mandate model. Romney said, “Those who follow the path we pursued, will find it’s the best path. And we’ll end up with a nation that’s taken a mandate approach.” Governor Romney has yet to distance himself from Romneycare.

In fact, he’s been proud to highlight and defend it as a major accomplishment for the state of Massachusetts. Defending mandates is a strange position to take for a supposed “Republican” but it’s even stranger when you consider exit polls in the Massachusetts primary show that 51% of conservative voters in Massachusetts believe that RomneyCare “goes to far.”

Obamacare Is Based On Romneycare!

And, from the perspective of the Office of the President,

Yesterday Jay Carney was asked about a recent Gallup poll showing that a large majority of Americans believe ObamaCare is unconstitutional. His response was to remind the press that ObamaCare was based on what was once a ‘very conservative idea’ from the Heritage Foundation and that its practical origins are from RomneyCare:

It begins – Jay Carney says ObamaCare based on RomneyCare » The Right Scoop -

What was discussed in 2007 and what was delivered in 2012 are two completely different animals...

I would be curious to know if Romneycare is something that Mitt truly believes in, partly believes in or if it was mostly manifested from the predominantly left-wing governance of the state. And depending on that, I'd be curious to know what his thoughts are regarding it's application for a much larger populous, that being the U.S.

Also, something being the model for something doesn't mean it's exactly the same. I could say that i like the basis of the Chevy Volt in that it's a car, but i'm going to replace the electric motors with a big block engine and add performance suspension and tires. Not really a true 'Chevy Volt' anymore, is it?

Forum List

Back