Roku

Does anyone have it? I am setting it up this weekend. I'm going to attempt to set it up this weekend.

I have had a Roku ever since Roku 3 came out...I don't know..4-5 years now I guess.
Love it...never looked back at cable ever again. Never will.

Does anyone have it? I am setting it up this weekend. I'm going to attempt to set it up this weekend.

I see it as kind of old technology, in the era of Vudu and other cloud solutions.

Uh...Vudu is on Roku...
Where Roku excels is speed. The software that is on Smart TV's, at least in my experience, is maddening slow. Especially Hulu and Amazon. And even Netflis is kind of clunky on Smart TV.
On Roku - all are much faster.

Uh...Vudu is on Roku...

But you don't need Roku to have it. Any smart TV can form a direct link. Roku is a bridge that was needed for the last generation of devices. Now you can get all the services directly.

Where Roku excels is speed. The software that is on Smart TV's, at least in my experience, is maddening slow. Especially Hulu and Amazon. And even Netflis is kind of clunky on Smart TV.

Maybe it is a matter of market.

I just said it was older, last generation technology, not that it's bad. With an older TV or blue ray, it is a way to get smart TV features. On newer equipment, I don't find it necessary.

Uh...Vudu is on Roku...

But you don't need Roku to have it. Any smart TV can form a direct link. Roku is a bridge that was needed for the last generation of devices. Now you can get all the services directly.

I just said it was older, last generation technology, not that it's bad. With an older TV or blue ray, it is a way to get smart TV features. On newer equipment, I don't find it necessary.
It isn't that simple. There processing that goes on bringing the video up and they do not all do it the same. Roku apparently has some top notch programmers. My little thumb drive cranks out hi def via wifi with no problem. Better than my 8 gigs memory, i7 intel 8 core desktop.

It isn't that simple. There processing that goes on bringing the video up and they do not all do it the same. Roku apparently has some top notch programmers. My little thumb drive cranks out hi def via wifi with no problem. Better than my 8 gigs memory, i7 intel 8 core desktop.

That's just because you're running Linux on the desktop. :thup:

Standard Disclaimer: You didn't really think I could ignore such an obvious opening.... :)

Uh...Vudu is on Roku...

It might depend on the brand of TV. My TV is less than a year old, it is a Vizio.
Like I say, all of the apps are too slow. Hulu and Amazon especially...it can take either one a good 10 seconds to launch, and the video will start out at horrible...like 280 until gradually getting better over at least a full minute.
I hook up Roku and none of that happens.

That's just because you're running Linux on the desktop. :thup:

Standard Disclaimer: You didn't really think I could ignore such an obvious opening.... :)
I don't have the Windows overhead, if that's what you are implying. Neither does Roku or Android. I wonder why?

I understand the notion that Roku is "old technology"...I do. But that would only be true if the newer technology is superior. It is not. At least in my experience.
Smart TV's are also limited to the apps the manufacturer provides, while Roku has way-way more available apps to choose from.
What would have been better, is TV manufacturers including a Roku built-in. Roku's interface is faster/smoother and more choices.

I understand the notion that Roku is "old technology"...I do. But that would only be true if the newer technology is superior. It is not. At least in my experience.
Smart TV's are also limited to the apps the manufacturer provides, while Roku has way-way more available apps to choose from.
What would have been better, is TV manufacturers including a Roku built-in. Roku's interface is faster/smoother and more choices.
My JVC tv came with the ROKU stick. The port it plugs into is a MHL, which is some kind of enhanced multi-media HDMI port.

Forum List

Back