Robert Gibbs Says Liberal Critics of President Obama Should Stop Doing So Many Drugs

In 18 short months, we went from "hold me accountable" to "get drug tested."

If Robert Gibbs' goal were to sound like a petulant, self-pitying adolescent, how could he have done better?

If Robert Gibbs' goal were to sound like a petulant, self-pitying adolescent, how could he have done better?

Do you even know what he said? In context?

Obama's gonna need a bigger bus.

UnderTheBus.jpg

Yes, I read The Hill article his comments appeared in and his mealymouthed half-retraction afterward. I follow the news and read many of the critics Gibbs is obliquely referencing.

Liberals are quite justifiably upset with the Administration because of substantive and valid objections to their policies. They're angry and disappointed because The White House has done so little about crisis-level unemployment, foreclosures and widespread economic misery. Because of the White House's apparently endless devotion to Wall Street. Because the President has escalated a miserable, pointless and unwinnable war that is entering its ninth year. Because he has claimed the power to imprison people for life with no charges and to assassinate American citizens without due process, intensified the secrecy weapons and immunity instruments abused by his predecessor, and found all new ways of denying habeas corpus. Because he granted full-scale legal immunity to those who committed serious crimes in the last administration. And because he's failed to fulfill -- or affirmatively broken -- promises ranging from transparency to gay rights.

Gibbs is butthurt that Obama isn't getting love from what I suppose the Administration hoped would be their base, despite enacting policies anathema to that group's ideology and goals, and is lashing out like a whining child, arguing essentially that: "The Professional Left are totally irrelevant losers who speak for absolutely nobody, and certainly nobody in Real America who matters; but they're ruining everything for the White House!"

If the Administration actually advanced anything remotely resembling a liberal agenda, or didn't capitulate to the worst factions in Congress and bend over backwards to serve the corporate interests that fund campaigns, they'd have progressives' support. That they don't is an entirely logical and rational result of their actions and Gibbs is trying to shift responsibility to an invisible boogeyman using the rhetoric of Sarah Palin and Newt Gingrich. He can get fucked.

Do you understand the comments in context? Do you not see the hypocrisy in Obama regularly insisting the American people hold him accountable, said over and over on the campaign trail and as recently as last month to gatherings of liberals, and then his Press Secretary whining and insulting them when they do?

Last edited:
Sheesh. Even the druggies can see that Obama's policies are flushing this country down the toilet. Not a good sign for the administration.

Yes, I read The Hill article his comments appeared in and his mealymouthed half-retraction afterward. I follow the news and read many of the critics Gibbs is obliquely referencing.

Liberals are quite justifiably upset with the Administration because of substantive and valid objections to their policies. They're angry and disappointed because The White House has done so little about crisis-level unemployment, foreclosures and widespread economic misery. Because of the White House's apparently endless devotion to Wall Street. Because the President has escalated a miserable, pointless and unwinnable war that is entering its ninth year. Because he has claimed the power to imprison people for life with no charges and to assassinate American citizens without due process, intensified the secrecy weapons and immunity instruments abused by his predecessor, and found all new ways of denying habeas corpus. Because he granted full-scale legal immunity to those who committed serious crimes in the last administration. And because he's failed to fulfill -- or affirmatively broken -- promises ranging from transparency to gay rights.

Gibbs is butthurt that Obama isn't getting love from what I suppose the Administration hoped would be their base, despite enacting policies anathema to that group's ideology and goals, and is lashing out like a whining child, arguing essentially that: "The Professional Left are totally irrelevant losers who speak for absolutely nobody, and certainly nobody in Real America who matters; but they're ruining everything for the White House!"

If the Administration actually advanced anything remotely resembling a liberal agenda, or didn't capitulate to the worst factions in Congress and bend over backwards to serve the corporate interests that fund campaigns, they'd have progressives support. That they don't is an entirely logical and rationale result of their actions and Gibbs is trying to shift responsibility to an invisible boogeyman using the rhetoric of Sarah Palin and Newt Gingrich. He can get fucked.

Not getting love is an understatement. Rs stood by their man Bush until he got so unbearably stupid they couldn't support him with a straight face.

If the Administration actually advanced anything remotely resembling a liberal agenda, or didn't capitulate to the worst factions in Congress and bend over backwards to serve the corporate interests that fund campaigns, they'd have progressives support. That they don't is an entirely logical and rationale result of their actions and Gibbs is trying to shift responsibility to an invisible boogeyman using the rhetoric of Sarah Palin and Newt Gingrich. He can get fucked.

Not getting love is an understatement. Rs stood by their man Bush until he got so unbearably stupid they couldn't support him with a straight face.

Yes, and that is exactly why progressives, liberals, and anyone with intellectual consistency so excoriated Republicans for their shameful follow-the-leader-no-matter-what-he-does behavior during the Bush years. We all know the tragic consequences of that behavior since we're living through them now.

Are you suggesting Democrats, liberals, and progressives should take note and act more like Republicans did during the last decade? If not, what is your argument?

Yes, and that is exactly why progressives, liberals, and anyone with intellectual consistency so excoriated Republicans for their shameful follow-the-leader-no-matter-what-he-does behavior during the Bush years. We all know the tragic consequences of that behavior since we're living through them now.

Are you suggesting Democrats, liberals, and progressives should take note and act more like Republicans did during the last decade? If not, what is your argument?

Heck no, I don't want them acting like Republicans. Typical spin everything Republican conclusion on your part. :cuckoo:

I want the progressives to calm down, Gibbs didn't say anything wrong. You should also consider not talking so much and making stuff up as you go.

The backlash against Gibbs was swift. One congressman, Rep. Keith Ellison (D-MN) called on Gibbs to resign.

Dr. Quentin Young, a Chicago physician and national coordinator of Physicians for a National Health Program, which advocates for single-payer health reform, said he was "incredulous" when he first heard of Gibbs comments. Young, an early supporter of Obama, wrote Gibbs and asked for an immediate retraction.

Gibbs Blasts "Professional Left" - latimes.com

Heck no, I don't want them acting like Republicans. Typical spin everything Republican conclusion on your part. :cuckoo:

I want the progressives to calm down, Gibbs didn't say anything wrong. You should also consider not talking so much and making stuff up as you go.

Yep, dem Dems NEVER spin........

Why don't you try some integrity for a change?

What does "typical spin everything Republican conclusion" mean?

Why should progressives "calm down" about enormously impactful and important policies the Administration is enacting that they couldn't disagree more with? They should just "calm down" and not get upset about Obama committing hundreds of billions of their dollars to an endless unwinnable occupation that destroys hundreds of thousands of lives and significantly increases the threat against them? They should just "calm down" about the massive expansion of the illegal Surveillance State that collects 1.7 billion emails of theirs a day and invades their privacy as a matter of routine but can't piece together the bevy of evidence showing that Nidal Hassan and Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab were going to attempt attacks? They should "calm down" about Obama giving a sweetheart deal to the private insurance industry that fucks Americans for decades and doesn't provide better health care? Or "calm down" about Obama's expansion of the worst legal and military abuses of the Bush Administration with his constant invocation of State Secrets, blocking of real trials, failure to close Guantanamo, continued abuses at Bagram, and declaration that he can assassinate American citizens without charge, trial, or oversight?

What rational justification is there for not being extremely upset about and critical of those decision, but instead remaining calm and going with the flow?

Moreover, what, pray tell, am I "making up as I go along"? Be specific.

"Act like Republicans did during the Bush years" is explicitly Gibbs' argument you're supporting.

So we should all, me included, stop fighting each other and arguing about our differences on certain policies, and instead work together to make sure everyone knows what is at stake because we've come too far to turn back now.

In other words, stop criticizing us when we do things you think are awful, destructive and wrong and instead line up like loyal little sheep to get behind the only thing that's really important: electing more Democrats regardless of what Democrats do. "Let's get together rather than argue about extremely significant policies and our opposite stances on them. If you oppose us, no sense fighting us on it, we just have to all make sure we stay in power" It's an open plea to stop thinking independently or applying consistency and instead just mindlessly support whatever Obama and his party do because it's Obama and his party doing it.

Perhaps Gibbs should have read this 2005 Daily Kos diary Obama wrote: Daily Kos: State of the Nation

Barack Obama said:
In that spirit, let me end by saying I don't pretend to have all the answers to the challenges we face, and I look forward to periodic conversations with all of you in the months and years to come. I trust that you will continue to let me and other Democrats know when you believe we are screwing up. And I, in turn, will always try and show you the respect and candor one owes his friends and allies.

"Respect and candor" = "Shut up, you need to get drug tested!"

Nothing gives me greater pleasure than to see this administration screwing up with its allies. Eventually they'll have no support whatsoever.
The funny thing is the comments made about Obama are all true. He has been a leftist failure. He is being hoist by the inherent contradictions of his own candidacy.

He's not a leftist. He's not even a liberal. He ran as left-leaning Democrat and he's not even that.

He's a corporate shill. His health care "reform" was an abysmal joke and a wet kiss to the health insurance industry. He's continuing with the worst of Bush's policies regarding the war and torture. He favors the interests of big business over The People. First and foremost, he is concerned about his legacy which explains his astronomically stupid 'bipartisan approach' to neanderthals who would rather all fall on their own political swords than grant his administration anything it attempts to achieve.

The game is rigged. 'R'...'D'...it doesn't matter anymore. Both sides of the duopoly serve the same master and it ain't The People.

Wake up, folks.

Good. The more the Left hates him the more likely he is to fail. Which is good.

Nothing gives me greater pleasure than to see this administration screwing up with its allies. Eventually they'll have no support whatsoever.
The funny thing is the comments made about Obama are all true. He has been a leftist failure. He is being hoist by the inherent contradictions of his own candidacy.

He's not a leftist. He's not even a liberal. He ran as left-leaning Democrat and he's not even that.

He's a corporate shill. His health care "reform" was an abysmal joke and a wet kiss to the health insurance industry. He's continuing with the worst of Bush's policies regarding the war and torture. He favors the interests of big business over The People. First and foremost, he is concerned about his legacy which explains his astronomically stupid 'bipartisan approach' to neanderthals who would rather all fall on their own political swords than grant his administration anything it attempts to achieve.

The game is rigged. 'R'...'D'...it doesn't matter anymore. Both sides of the duopoly serve the same master and it ain't The People.

Wake up, folks.

Why is that "good"? Is it "good" because his failure (and keep in mind that failing means EVERYONE LOSES) is "good" for....who, exactly? Your party? Your *side*?

Does anyone still wonder why this country's swirling like a turd in the toilet??

Wake up, folks.

Why is that "good"? Is it "good" because his failure (and keep in mind that failing means EVERYONE LOSES) is "good" for....who, exactly? Your party? Your *side*?

Does anyone still wonder why this country's swirling like a turd in the toilet??

No one wonders. It's obvious. Partisanship trumpets being an American anymore.

Wake up, folks.

it is good that he cannot get all his policies to pass congress, even when he had total control. Because if his policies had not failed to pass it would have been even worse for the USA.

Wake up, folks.

No. His failure is good for the America. It is good for this country. His policies have been tried in Europe and other socialist workers paradises. They bring nothing but high taxes, misery and death.
I do not want to see America experience high taxes, misery and death. Therefore I want him to fail. Utterly. Completely. So completely that for 20 years anytime anyone proposes something even remotely like what Obama has pushed the only comment necessary was "Obama tried that". That ought to end any further discussion, the absurdity and stupidity of the idea speaking for itself.

No. His failure is good for the America. It is good for this country. His policies have been tried in Europe and other socialist workers paradises. They bring nothing but high taxes, misery and death.
I do not want to see America experience high taxes, misery and death. Therefore I want him to fail. Utterly. Completely. So completely that for 20 years anytime anyone proposes something even remotely like what Obama has pushed the only comment necessary was "Obama tried that". That ought to end any further discussion, the absurdity and stupidity of the idea speaking for itself.

Have you been asleep or simply not paying attention?

Obama has basically continued Bush's policies and for that has been reviled and demonized by the same gang of knuckle-draggers who praised Bush for them.

I see you've bought into the "socialist" meme. Enjoy that kool-aid.

Forum List

Back