Ricky Williams- A Profile in Courage

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by hylandrdet, Dec 19, 2004.

1. hylandrdet

hylandrdet Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I'd just finished watching the Ricky Williams interview on CBS' 60 minutes. I'd watched Mike Wallace drill Williams from top to bottom on all aspects of his sudden retirement. In the end , Mike stood there in awe as Williams answered his questions and more.

Freedom was the certerpoint of Williams argument; citing that he was tired of the fast cars, women, and the celebrity status, which had led to a life of misery and drugs.

Before his interview, my attitude towards Williams was that he was selfish; but after that interview, I saw a man with many issues who'd retired in pursuit for inner peace.

Had he continued his career, it would had been possible that the Dolphins would had won a Super Bowl...

:bsflag:

As a former Barry Sanders fan, I now feel rather guilty in my attitude towards him. As a fan, I'd felt more like a slave owner; demanding Sanders to play for the Lions; now I feel more like a fool, wanting to have some control over something; I, as well as other Lions fans, wanted to take away Barry Sanders' freedom; no wonder he'd left; he wanted to be free.

Ricky Williams' honest answers to Mike Wallace's questions may bring closure to many Dolphins' fans. His testimony lives up to the old saying, "Be carefull of what you ask for; you just might get it.". In layman's terms, it wasn't in his nature to live such a life.

So make fun of his marijuana smoking and his selfishness. To myself, I now see a man who is in a war with himself, and is now winning. It is the fans who are truly selfish; we throw money in their faces, in exchange they do their little tricks for our amusement; and we remind them of what we're doing in a manner all too degrading; ask Ron Artest. To such fans I now say this, "You need to get some freedom in your life".

As far as the NFL owners are concerned, I think they need to consider psycho analysis as a significant factor in drafting football players. It's no use to draft a 6-6, 225, 4.1 receiver if his interests are somewhere other than in football. I now feel that it is the responsibility of the team to recruit players who really want to play for them.

Thanks Ricky for reminding people that athletes are human beings, not robots. If I were Ricky Williams, I would had closed that interview with the following...

"Kiss it!!! I'm not your whore...I want my life back...Bye!"

2. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403

WOW--I think I saw the same one you did but my take on it was the exact opposite. He's hiding and lying.

3. MissileMan

MissileMan Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Ricky Williams...A Profile in a Waste of Talent :lame2:

4. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    His actions made it clear that this story is a false one. He didn't quit to find inner peace when he clearly quit when he realized he would be suspended for substance abuse. Then actually asked to return when he lost the decision and was found to owe his signing bonus to the Miami Dolphins. He is now fighting that decision, but turned down the deal he specifically asked for.

It is clear to me that this man has worked to ruin his own career, and against all odds was successful at it.

5. nakedemperor

nakedemperor Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Man playing football is like getting hit by a car every Sunday and having to spend Monday in an ice tub. The toll on mind and body is enough to make the toughest men not look forward to it...especially the running backs.

Try getting gang-tackled by 11 300+ pounders 40 times in 3 hours.

Its his life, I'm glad he's doing something he enjoys now. Waste of talent? Come on, he's done enough already.

6. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    Actually, most tacklers on the field weigh a bunch less than 300lbs. :) the 300lbs guys are 'blockers' by trade. Generally, leading tacklers on the field are defensive backs.

:D

7. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616

Thank all the little gods the Marines don't feel this way.....

He let down alot of team members, if it wasn't clear that he was doing this for the most selfish of reasons I would probably support you in this one. Don't sign the contract if you are unwilling to perform.

This was a broken promise, his word is crap.

8. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403

Sure it's tough but if you think thats why he got out, I got a bridge to sell ya.--he even admitted to Wallace that he hadn't ruled out playing again. Ricky's a fraud as a person

9. nakedemperor

nakedemperor Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +150
    To be honest, I don't really care why he stopped playing. Its a gaaaame. And he's not exactly killing the business.

10. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616

I still think a promise is a promise. Either stick to it or you aren't fit to be in public. People that can just walk away from something they promised to do without being released simply disgust me.

:puke: