Ricky Williams- A Profile in Courage

Actually, I like that idea a lot. Either he shouldn't be able to play ball again until his debt is paid, or, if he does go back, his salary should go directly to the Dolphins.

Gem said:
Actually, I like that idea a lot. Either he shouldn't be able to play ball again until his debt is paid, or, if he does go back, his salary should go directly to the Dolphins.
That would be a great idea Gem, but these spoiled pro players anymore , I am just afraid he will be alllowed to play again & the Dolphins will just be out the cash.Well hopefully the NFL will do the right thing.
Jeff :)

Perhaps we should consider whether giving immature, young men such vast sums of money to hit eachother repeatedly and demonstrating an overwhelming eagerness to overlook any of their obvious issues if they are good at the game is creating an environment that encourages this behavior.

Maybe we should start demanding that teams (coaches, owners) take more responsiblity for the actions of their players...would that make coaches, owners, etc. think twice about paying an obvious idiot millions of dollars...would it make them think twice if THEY could be fined if their player misbehaved so egregiously?

Gem said:
Perhaps we should consider whether giving immature, young men such vast sums of money to hit eachother repeatedly and demonstrating an overwhelming eagerness to overlook any of their obvious issues if they are good at the game is creating an environment that encourages this behavior.

Maybe we should start demanding that teams (coaches, owners) take more responsiblity for the actions of their players...would that make coaches, owners, etc. think twice about paying an obvious idiot millions of dollars...would it make them think twice if THEY could be fined if their player misbehaved so egregiously?

Nice thought but tough to enforce in magamillion dollar business. Frankly, I like to watch the bad apples fall !

Gem said:

That is a fantastic idea but i also agree with dilloduck....its all about the $$$ anymore
Jeff

I agree with all of your opinions. My point was about allowing him the freedom to seek help in his own way; afterall, you can't solve your problem unless you admit that you have one.

hylandrdet said:
I agree with all of your opinions. My point was about allowing him the freedom to seek help in his own way; afterall, you can't solve your problem unless you admit that you have one.

I don't think anyone was stopping him from "doing his thing" and I see no great heroics in his decision to have fun instead of making millions playing football. He's a non-story that CBS tried to make something out of--again.

dilloduck said:
I don't think anyone was stopping him from "doing his thing" and I see no great heroics in his decision to have fun instead of making millions playing football. He's a non-story that CBS tried to make something out of--again.

Ok, That's an opinion I can respect. However, you must understand that courage is not defined by long termed decisions; it's defined by the reaction speed and the final decisons made by the person involved, when stressful situations force you to act quickly. Therefore, courageous decisions can be defined as neither good nor evil.

He'd confessed that he can't handle it; that's a form of courage, whether you like it or not. I didn't like his choice, but his reasons were honest.

This was blessing for the Dolphins. They now can look for a more dedicated running back, instead of investing millions into a running back who'll play half a#s football for the rest of his career.

hylandrdet said:
Ok, That's an opinion I can respect. However, you must understand that courage is not defined by long termed decisions; it's defined by the reaction speed and the final decisons made by the person involved, when stressful situations force you to act quickly. Therefore, courageous decisions can be defined as neither good nor evil.

He'd confessed that he can't handle it; that's a form of courage, whether you like it or not. I didn't like his choice, but his reasons were honest.

This was blessing for the Dolphins. They now can look for a more dedicated running back, instead of investing millions into a running back who'll play half a#s football for the rest of his career.

His reasons were not honest. He attempted to make this about the NFL attempting to make money off of him, rather than his own drug problems. When asked during the interview if he could pass a drug test, he sheepishly admitted he could not.

He then goes into a spiel about how the NFL was out to exploit him.

This is a man that wants his cake and to eat it too and he cannot have both. He isn't being honest with himself or with the people around him and is not taking advantage of the offer of help and intervention that was given him. I see no courage here, only excuses.

Forum List

Back