Rick Perry Just Lost The Southern Vote: Comes Out And Opposes The Confederate Flag

Perry is finishing himself off without much help. If he stumbles into Florida and fails completely, the hold outs may turn to Gingrich. If it is between NG and MR in the end, Newt may well take it.

Imagine the national campaign as Bill Clinton comes out on the hunt for Newt. Newt can't hide from Bill, and Bill will metaphorically murder him in the final four weeks of the campaign. All for Obama.

The GOP is sending signals that it may be in serious, serious problems if not in the throes of possible dissolution.

In my opinion, each day that they don't rally around Romney is a day they play into Obama's hands. Newt is unelectable to the Christian coalition. They will stay home. Cain isn't going to win a lot of voters over to the 999 plan because its been shown to be half-baked. Romney is good for all time zones.

Perry is finishing himself off without much help. If he stumbles into Florida and fails completely, the hold outs may turn to Gingrich. If it is between NG and MR in the end, Newt may well take it.

Imagine the national campaign as Bill Clinton comes out on the hunt for Newt. Newt can't hide from Bill, and Bill will metaphorically murder him in the final four weeks of the campaign. All for Obama.

The GOP is sending signals that it may be in serious, serious problems if not in the throes of possible dissolution.

In my opinion, each day that they don't rally around Romney is a day they play into Obama's hands. Newt is unelectable to the Christian coalition. They will stay home. Cain isn't going to win a lot of voters over to the 999 plan because its been shown to be half-baked. Romney is good for all time zones.

Indeed, but the Southern area codes continue to be behind the times. We went through this in my grandfathers' times with the women's vote, and in my father and my time during the 1950s through the 1960s with the mother kluckers. By the end of it, they were screaming for their mommies.

Now, instead of sexism and racism, they deal in religious bigotry, where they will lose as well.

Indeed, but the Southern area codes continue to be behind the times. We went through this in my grandfathers' times with the women's vote, and in my father and my time during the 1950s through the 1960s with the mother kluckers. By the end of it, they were screaming for their mommies.

Now, instead of sexism and racism, they deal in religious bigotry, where they will lose as well.

I don't see a lot of religious bigotry to THAT extent whenever I have to go to South Carolina (4 times in the last 2 years mind you). I would call it ignorance on the part of the Bible Belt and of course apathy which is shown by the electorate regardless of party affiliation or geography.

Perry is the only one the South will vote for. The vote will be split and Bachmann will sneak right through to the general.

I think you're way off. The South will largely support anyone with an R next to their name.

I think you are right...on election nite, the South will be a sea of red....and it doesn't matter who is the Republican. Well, maybe it won't matter.

It didn't take candidates switching parties, it took voters changing aligience from solid Democrat to solid Republican.....and boy did they

The Republican Southern Strategy paid off big time

The "Southern Strategy" that liberals keep whining about is voters ceasing to vote Democrat and voting Republican.

As I stated before. The voters that went with Jim Crowe had died off. This was a new crop of voters (like me) who grew up AFTER those times and weren't voting about keeping Jim Crow.
QUOTE]And there are millions upon millions of offspring that still want Jim Crow laws. America was at it's finest then. We became a Superpower during that timespan.

Here's some history for you. It was the North that abolished the Jim Crow laws in the South.

By Party and Region
The Original House Version:

Southern Democrats: 7-87 (seven percent-93 percent)
Southern Republicans: 0-10 (zero percent-100 percent)
Northern Democrats: 145-9 (94 percent-six percent)
Northern Republicans: 138-24 (85 percent-15 percent)
The Senate Version:

Southern Democrats: 1-20 (five percent-95 percent)
Southern Republicans: 0-1 (zero percent-100 percent)
Northern Democrats: 45-1 (98 percent-2 percent)
Northern Republicans: 27-5 (84 percent-16 percent)

Civil Rights Act of 1964 - New World Encyclopedia

Newt is unelectable to the Christian coalition.

I think that increasingly, religion is less and less an influence upon American politics anymore. Obama was elected despite a propaganda machine that tried to imply he was Muslim. We have a Mormon as a front runner. While the Christian right is certainly still alive and vocal, people are alot less likely to listen nowadays than they were as recently as 8 years ago.

The "Southern Strategy" that liberals keep whining about is voters ceasing to vote Democrat and voting Republican.

As I stated before. The voters that went with Jim Crowe had died off. This was a new crop of voters (like me) who grew up AFTER those times and weren't voting about keeping Jim Crow.
QUOTE]And there are millions upon millions of offspring that still want Jim Crow laws. America was at it's finest then. We became a Superpower during that timespan.

Here's some history for you. It was the North that abolished the Jim Crow laws in the South.

By Party and Region
The Original House Version:

Southern Democrats: 7-87 (seven percent-93 percent)
Southern Republicans: 0-10 (zero percent-100 percent)
Northern Democrats: 145-9 (94 percent-six percent)
Northern Republicans: 138-24 (85 percent-15 percent)
The Senate Version:

Southern Democrats: 1-20 (five percent-95 percent)
Southern Republicans: 0-1 (zero percent-100 percent)
Northern Democrats: 45-1 (98 percent-2 percent)
Northern Republicans: 27-5 (84 percent-16 percent)

Civil Rights Act of 1964 - New World Encyclopedia

tepartysamurai, USAR, JROK, and other hard righties have trouble with the truth that the divide was geography, not party, on this issue. The North and West Dem and GOP did the right thing, the South dems and pubs were evil. End of the Rush story.

he must be vying for a VP slot because, lets not fool ourselves, this move alienates a considerable portion of his base. Lettuce not forget that he was one of the Righties who uttered "secession" :rolleyes:

he must be vying for a VP slot because, lets not fool ourselves, this move alienates a considerable portion of his base. Lettuce not forget that he was one of the Righties who uttered "secession" :rolleyes:

lettuce? Perry is a 'secession rabbit'?

I think it's roughly PAST TIME for "the" South to get over the Confederate Flag.

It's not a matter of actual importance.

Yeah yeah. It has some historical significance to some of the Southern States.

So what?

That was then. Like 1860 or so.

This is now. 150 solid years since that time.

Time marches on.

And nowadays we all have REAL problems to worry about.

I don't support Perry. But I don't oppose him, either. Win or lose, it should be on the merits. Not on some irrelevant NON "issue" like the Confederate Flag.
images

Exactly. If some redneck hick wants to fork over xx amount of dollars to to the state to put a tiny emblem of the now defunk battle flag on his own car, I don't care, as long as the brothers have the chance to buy a Black power emblem for their cars too!!!!

BTW they can still buy um and stick them on their window too!

What a huge political mistake. There are so many compassionate voters who love and adore the Confederate Flag. The Confederate flag is a symbol of the Confederacy. That is what it represents-not slavery, not racism as pandering Perry alleges. To millions of southerners, it is family heritage to them because their not to long ago ancestors fought and died for that flag and now Confederate flag loyalist are fuming mad. Perry committed political suicide today when he came out in opposition of a Confederate Flag license plate for Texans. Believe me, this will truely have consequences for Rick Perry on a massive scale. There is nothing wrong with the Confederate Flag at all and it is not racist. It is a symbol of our southern heritage, pride and traditions.

Rick Perry comes out against Confederate flag license plate | The Ticket - Yahoo! News

We're suppposed to care about the unrepentant spawn of traitors now?!?! :hellno:

What a huge political mistake. There are so many compassionate voters who love and adore the Confederate Flag. The Confederate flag is a symbol of the Confederacy. That is what it represents-not slavery, not racism as pandering Perry alleges. To millions of southerners, it is family heritage to them because their not to long ago ancestors fought and died for that flag and now Confederate flag loyalist are fuming mad. Perry committed political suicide today when he came out in opposition of a Confederate Flag license plate for Texans. Believe me, this will truely have consequences for Rick Perry on a massive scale. There is nothing wrong with the Confederate Flag at all and it is not racist. It is a symbol of our southern heritage, pride and traditions.

Rick Perry comes out against Confederate flag license plate | The Ticket - Yahoo! News

We're suppposed to care about the unrepentant spawn of traitors now?!?! :hellno:

I know. Right...huh?

Forum List

Back