Rick Perry Just Lost The Southern Vote: Comes Out And Opposes The Confederate Flag

No, Southerners fought for what they believed in and I would praise Southerners if I were you for they have sacrificed themselves in large numbers for your freedoms. You see, Southerners make up just 25% of the population yet accounted for 31% of the troops in WW1, 35% in WW2 and Korea, and a whopping 39% in Vietnam. You owe Southerners your gratitude.

What those Southernors believed in fighting for the Confederacy was wrong.

I don't see it as "right" or "wrong". It's just history. Our country came out of the end of the civil war better for it. It's an abysmal mark on our record that we put a race of people in chains for 200 years, but eventually we remedied the problem on our own at the cost 1 million lives.

And our country was fundamentally changed. We went from an agrarian, decentralized nation to an industrial, federal system.

And that would be the model that allowed us to emerge as a superpower.

Did the Southern states have the right to secede. Yes they did.

Were they wrong for keeping slaves. ABSOLUTELY!

We can debate until Kingdom Come whether or not Lincoln should have preserved the Union.

But I think the 20th Century would have gone a lot worse had that strong Union not been there to fight the German and the Japanese in WWII. England would not have lasted forever.

The South wanted to secede because greedy plantation owners wanted to keep the supply of free labor.

We have the same problem today with illegal aliens. We are told it's compassionate to allow illegals in and let businesses exploit them with low wages at the expense of American workers.

Under the same argument I can see plantation owners telling us it was compassionate to ship slaves here, rather than letting them live in "poverty" in Africa.

It's the same crap all over again. Same pattern.

I think it's roughly PAST TIME for "the" South to get over the Confederate Flag.

It's not a matter of actual importance.

Yeah yeah. It has some historical significance to some of the Southern States.

So what?

That was then. Like 1860 or so.

This is now. 150 solid years since that time.

Time marches on.

And nowadays we all have REAL problems to worry about.

I don't support Perry. But I don't oppose him, either. Win or lose, it should be on the merits. Not on some irrelevant NON "issue" like the Confederate Flag.
images
Spoken like a true New Yorker.

And I invite any of my pals down South of the Mason Dixon line to join us New Yorkers in taking note of the fact that the War Between the States is

over.

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Exactly! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I think it's roughly PAST TIME for "the" South to get over the Confederate Flag.

It's not a matter of actual importance.

Yeah yeah. It has some historical significance to some of the Southern States.

So what?

That was then. Like 1860 or so.

This is now. 150 solid years since that time.

Time marches on.

And nowadays we all have REAL problems to worry about.

I don't support Perry. But I don't oppose him, either. Win or lose, it should be on the merits. Not on some irrelevant NON "issue" like the Confederate Flag.
images
Spoken like a true New Yorker.

And I invite any of my pals down South of the Mason Dixon line to join us New Yorkers in taking note of the fact that the War Between the States is

over.
Oh, I wasn't disagreeing with you, just pointing out that it is the likely view from a lifelong NY-er.

Yes. Lately he's been trying to get Mississippi to define a fertilized egg as a 'person'. :lol:

Eggs and corporations - Republicans are mentally deficient.

Hey genius! Psssst!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOW DID YOUR LIFE START???????????

What has to happen for your life to even begin?

Oooooo, let me think. These questions are sooooooooooo hard!!!!!!! :eusa_think:

Last time I checked, IT WAS CONCEPTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But at that point I was not a 'person'. I had the potential to become a person.

Using anti-choice, wingnut logic, a grain of barley is a beer. :lol:

Hey idiot. That "grain" isn't fertilized.

YOU WERE FERTILIZED FOR CONCEPTION TO HAVE HAPPENED.

NICE TRY!!!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

A POTENTIAL PERSON is BEFORE FERTILIZATION.

That egg is "potential person." If it gets fertilized it's going to be born unless something happens to stop that like miscarriage OR ABORTION. If it doesn't get fertilized there goes that potential.

But once that egg is fertilized THE POTENTIAL ARGUMENT GOES OUT THE WINDOW.

Like I said, you libs would flunk simple biology because your brain dead arguments for abortion are more important.

Any of you libs for abortion ever had a kid?????????

Because anyone who has, would know your arguments are really stupid!

I can't wait for you to argue menustration proves me wrong.

I've heard that one and the masturbation argument and on and on.

I have an answer for any one of them.

But, be my guest and try.

I like playing with chew toys.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

States right was the right to own humans, period.

No, the states had no legal right to leave the Union, and when they fired on the Union, those states signed their death warrants, which were executed.

Fired on "the Union"? Actually, South Carolina was firing on a Federal facility it considered to be trespassing.

The seeds of the Civil War were sown into the Constitution six decades previously. The problems finally boiled over into open warfare.

While I believe States, at the time, had a right to secede, regardless of justification, I do not condone slavery nor believe it was a good idea to break up the Union. Most Confederate soldiers at the time were fighting for "their country", not slavery. States were relatively sovereign and the Federal government was weak.

Noted Civil War historian Shelby Foote stated "Before the war, it was said "the United States are." Grammatically, it was spoken that way and thought of as a collection of independent states. And after the war, it was always "the United States is," as we say to day without being self-conscious at all. And that's sums up what the war accomplished. It made us an "is." "

Online NewsHour: Remembering Civil War Historian Shelby Foote -- June 29, 2005

teapartygirl, w/ the Paylin AV, says that Southerners don't care about the Civil War. She don't live in the South. Thats fer sure.
The whole thing might cost him thirty or forty votes in each southern state. The WBTS and flags might have been a really big deal as recently as twenty years ago, but not so much now.

I'd say more like 40/50 years ago.

But the problem is WHEN it did matter in the South, the South was HEAVILY DEMOCRAT.

I know! I lived in the South during that time.

All those Jim Crow laws, and crap. You couldn't throw a rock without hitting a Democrat in those days.

The South has gone Republican in some states. It's a total joke to suggest that the Republican party care about the Confederate flag, considering our first Republican President gave his life to get rid of that flag.

Vicksburg didn't observe July 4th until after WW II idiots. Know why?

The whole thing might cost him thirty or forty votes in each southern state. The WBTS and flags might have been a really big deal as recently as twenty years ago, but not so much now.

But the problem is WHEN it did matter in the South, the South was HEAVILY DEMOCRAT.

All those Jim Crow laws, and crap. You couldn't throw a rock without hitting a Democrat in those days.

The South has gone Republican in some states. It's a total joke to suggest that the Republican party care about the Confederate flag, considering our first Republican President gave his life to get rid of that flag.

And? How does that prove what I've said wrong.

The end of WWII was 66 years ago!

But Jim Crow was the law of the land in the South until it was finally ended in 1964.

Guess who passed the Jim Crow laws?

Guess who voted to end it?

Fuck the Confederate flag.

Rick Perry is a symbol of race treason and political opportunism, a bottom dweller who licks the boots of Mexican invaders for a vote. I'm currently reading volume two of Shelby Foote's narrative of the Civil War. He describes an anti-negro rampage in New York City in 1863. The citizens were outraged that they were being conscripted to risk death fighting the South in order to free blacks. It was also rather hypocritical of Honest Abe to be emancipating southern negroes while northern negroes were still held as slaves.

Quote:
Initially intended to express anger at the draft, the protests turned ugly and degraded into "a virtual racial pogrom, with uncounted numbers of blacks murdered on the streets". The conditions in the city were such that Major General John E. Wool stated on July 16, "Martial law ought to be proclaimed, but I have not a sufficient force to enforce it."[6] The military suppressed the mob using artillery and fixed bayonets, but not before numerous buildings were ransacked or destroyed, including many homes and an orphanage for black children.
New York City draft riots - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My respect for Rick Perry has risen now that USArmyRacist is dissing him.

Poor USArmyRacist (I like that) is about as popular as a fly at a picnic!!! Loser!!!

But Jim Crow was the law of the land in the South until it was finally ended in 1964.

Did any southern Republicans campaign against or vote against Jim Crow laws?

Can you identify a single one?

Jim Crow was a byproduct of southern racism and had nothing to do with whether you were Democrat or Republican

Perry's toast. The only die-hard voters he had will now be alienated.
Confederate Flag Comes Down in South Carolina — Infoplease.com
Inflammatory remarks by state senator Arthur Ravenel made national headlines in Jan. 2000 when he defended the flying of the Southern Cross, referring to the NAACP as the "the National Association of Retarded People." He then apologized to "retarded people" for associating them with the NAACP. At the time of the the February Republican presidential primary, party differences on the issue were thrown in sharp relief: the Republican contenders declined to take a stand except to say that the issue was a state matter; the Democrats were outspokenly against the flag remaining.

This was only @ 10 yrs ago Palin girl LOL. Your conservative friends also used the word "retard" :eek: Bible Spice hates that word!!! :(

Jim Crow was a byproduct of southern racism and had nothing to do with whether you were Democrat or Republican

With the passage of the Civil Rights act, a solid majority of Southern Democrats joined the Republican party too :eusa_whistle:

What those Southernors believed in fighting for the Confederacy was wrong.

I don't see it as "right" or "wrong". It's just history. Our country came out of the end of the civil war better for it. It's an abysmal mark on our record that we put a race of people in chains for 200 years, but eventually we remedied the problem on our own at the cost 1 million lives.

And our country was fundamentally changed. We went from an agrarian, decentralized nation to an industrial, federal system.

And that would be the model that allowed us to emerge as a superpower.

Did the Southern states have the right to secede. Yes they did.

Were they wrong for keeping slaves. ABSOLUTELY!

We can debate until Kingdom Come whether or not Lincoln should have preserved the Union.

But I think the 20th Century would have gone a lot worse had that strong Union not been there to fight the German and the Japanese in WWII. England would not have lasted forever.

The South wanted to secede because greedy plantation owners wanted to keep the supply of free labor.

We have the same problem today with illegal aliens. We are told it's compassionate to allow illegals in and let businesses exploit them with low wages at the expense of American workers.

Under the same argument I can see plantation owners telling us it was compassionate to ship slaves here, rather than letting them live in "poverty" in Africa.

It's the same crap all over again. Same pattern.

As I said, it is what it is. We came out the other side as a stronger nation.

1) How can a non-issue like the Confederate flag make or break a candidacy twelve months away from the General Election?

2) Why should the Confederate flag be regarded as anything other than archaic and thoroughly disposable?

3) What kind of thinking leads from a candidate's repudiation of the Confederate flag to "a major political mistake"?

4) Why has this thread extended beyond two pages?

5) Why did I waste time reading this thread?

1) How can a non-issue like the Confederate flag make or break a candidacy twelve months away from the General Election?

2) Why should the Confederate flag be regarded as anything other than archaic and thoroughly disposable?

3) What kind of thinking leads from a candidate's repudiation of the Confederate flag to "a major political mistake"?

I was in the low country of South Carolina a couple of weeks ago.

I saw more than one billboard of the con flag with the words "never forget."

These people take their flag seriously.

I was in the low country of South Carolina a couple of weeks ago.

I saw more than one billboard of the con flag with the words "never forget."

These people take their flag seriously.

They do. Same goes for other States in the Deep South.

With the passage of the Civil Rights act, a solid majority of Southern Democrats joined the Republican party too :eusa_whistle:

THAT IS A BLATANT LIE BY THE LIBERALS!

Wallace didn't change parties.

Robert Byrd didn't change parties.

Connoly didn't change parties.

Al Gore Sr. didn't change parties

The Democrats that voted against the Civil Rights Act of 1964 didn't change parties.

The ONLY Democrat they can point to is Strom Thurmond.

If you can name one other, I swear I'll die of shock, since I've been asking libs to name one other Democrat for 20 years and I have YET to have a lib answer that question.

Even if you can, I can name PLENTY OF RACIST DEMOCRATS WHO REMAINED DEMOCRATS TO THE END OF THEIR LIVES!

Just to let you know Johnson and the Kennedys were against Civil Rights in the 50s. They were against it right up to 1964 when they realized it was going to start losing them votes.

THAT'S AND ONLY THAT IS WHEN THEY CHANGED THEIR TUNE.

The Democrats that voted against the Civil Rights Act of 1964 didn't change parties.

If you can name one other, I swear I'll die of shock, since I've been asking libs to name one other Democrat for 20 years and I have YET to have a lib answer that question.

Even if you can, I can name PLENTY OF RACIST DEMOCRATS WHO REMAINED DEMOCRATS TO THE END OF THEIR LIVES!

Just to let you know Johnson and the Kennedys were against Civil Rights in the 50s. They were against it right up to 1964 when they realized it was going to start losing them votes.

It didn't take candidates switching parties, it took voters changing aligience from solid Democrat to solid Republican.....and boy did they

The Republican Southern Strategy paid off big time

It didn't take candidates switching parties, it took voters changing aligience from solid Democrat to solid Republican.....and boy did they

The Republican Southern Strategy paid off big time

The fact that he can use their names sort of lends credence to your argument; does it not?

Like when a upwardly mobile minority is introduced to a caucasian contemporary; they almost always lead with the number of minorities they know; thus enforcing the inequalities in some cases. Not all but some.

One would think that the "sign of our heritage" morons would know that the actual CSA flag was this:

stars.bars.gif

The Stars and Bars of Dukes of Hazard fame was the battle flag that was adopted well after the beginning of the war.

Not only is USAR ignorant of, well, just about everything...even those things that he embraces he knows very little about. A total waste of carbon.

We are not talking about that specific flag and neither is Perry.

WHO CARESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

We have how many people out of work and Obama trying to sink this country right down the crapper and you think people care about this stupid little tempest in a tea pot?

I'm sorry, but it's like it's December 7, 1941 or 9/11 and we are looking to good leaders to help us, and all USArmyRetired cares about is whether or not those leaders support the Confederate flag.

It just doesn't seem like that's what should be important at the moment, you know what I mean?????????

Gee whiz!

You now have over 3 times as many posts than anyone else on this "who cares" thread.

New Topics

Forum List

Back