Rice

DudleySmith

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2020
So was at the store with a list from my wife, one of the orders being for brown rice. I noticed the store branded bag was 88 cents a pound, while a brand called 'Mahatma's' brown rice was $2.78 a pound. Why the difference? Does Mahatma's taste a lot better or something? That's a ridiculously large gap for rice that looked exactly alike to me. Rice is something people flavor the hell out of in the first place, with spices and sauces and veggies and meats, so I'm curious as to why people will pay over 3 times more for it.

So was at the store with a list from my wife, one of the orders being for brown rice. I noticed the store branded bag was 88 cents a pound, while a brand called 'Mahatma's' brown rice was $2.78 a pound. Why the difference? Does Mahatma's taste a lot better or something? That's a ridiculously large gap for rice that looked exactly alike to me. Rice is something people flavor the hell out of in the first place, with spices and sauces and veggies and meats, so I'm curious as to why people will pay over 3 times more for it.
If you cook both and taste and see it on the dinner plate you may detect a difference. With any agricuture product you can get the product that is uniform and looks better and may even taste better or pay less for what ever spills into the bag.
A good example is green beans. Open a can of a higher price Delmonte and open a can of store brand and they are both green beans but will look diferent on your plate and you maybe detect a taste difference. As for me I go with the store brand. :)

If you cook both and taste and see it on the dinner plate you may detect a difference. With any agricuture product you can get the product that is uniform and looks better and may even taste better or pay less for what ever spills into the bag.
A good example is green beans. Open a can of a higher price Delmonte and open a can of store brand and they are both green beans but will look diferent on your plate and you maybe detect a taste difference. As for me I go with the store brand. :)

May have to do with the local water supply near the canneries and the salt content? Some 'name brands' are canned at the same places as generic' labels are, they just paste different labels on the cans. the quality of Aldi's 'off brands' is as high as some other 'store' and 'name' brands.

If it ain't Basmati or Jasmine... I ain't cooking it.

Never had those that I know of. I always liked the long grain wild rice, when they had that label. They don't call it that any more.; probably because it wasn't really wild.

Forum List

Back