RI teachers get "F" for FIRED!

Unionized Rhode Island Teachers Refuse To Work 25 Minutes More Per Day, So Town Fires All Of Them

Her plan calls for teachers at a local high school to work 25 minutes longer per day, each lunch with students once in a while, and help with tutoring. The teachers' union has refused to accept these apparently onerous demands.

The teachers at the high school make $70,000-$78,000, as compared to a median income in the town of $22,000. This exemplifies a nationwide trend in which public sector workers make far more than their private-sector counterparts (with better benefits).

Job well done by the Superintendent!!

Wait...this was a longer work day without a pay raise? and give up lunches? (isn't there a law against that?)

Everyone who has no problem with that and thinks a teacher's job is easy, go to RI...they're hiring.

there's nothing about giving up lunches.
RIF

Anyone who believes that private workers don't make more in most cases don't look at the facts.

Blackwater Mercs Make More than Petraeus

According to data provided to the House panel, the average per-day pay to personnel Blackwater hired was $600. According to the schedule of rates, supplies and services attached to the contract, Blackwater charged Regency $1,075 a day for senior managers, $945 a day for middle managers and $815 a day for operators.

An unmarried sergeant given Iraq pay and relief from U.S. taxes makes about $83 to $85 a day, given time in service. A married sergeant with children makes about double that, $170 a day.

Army Gen. David H. Petraeus, the top U.S. commander in Baghdad overseeing more than 160,000 U.S. troops, makes roughly $180,000 a year, or about $493 a day. That comes out to less than half the fee charged by Blackwater for its senior manager of a 34-man security team.

what blackwater charges their customer and what they pay their help are two entirely separate issues.

Good riddance. Once again the selfish Liberal controlled Teacher Unions have failed the kids. These creeps will not be missed. The Teacher Unions stopped caring about the kids along time ago. Our Public School System is in ruins and i blame them for this.

You're right. Let's get rid of all the teachers. That'll show them!

I agree!

Any young person who talks to me about careers, I tell them to never, ever become a teacher. It is not worth it. Teachers are spit on in this country.

I agree!

Any young person who talks to me about careers, I tell them to never, ever become a teacher. It is not worth it. Teachers are spit on in this country.

Really? Seems pretty fucking worth it to me! $78,000.00 annually for failing to do your job? I sure wish I could get away with failing to meet half of MY objectives and get paid that kind of money.

Home Schooling and Private Schooling are the wave of the future as we watch our Public Schools continue to crumble. Teachers do an awful lot of complaining but when you break it down they really do have it pretty good when compared to most jobs. They receive very good benefit packages. They have all major holidays off and are paid. They have their Summers off as well. How many other jobs provide these kinds of benefits? I might agree that their pay could be better but overall they do have it pretty good. Teaches have become the World Champions of Whining about their jobs. I just don't see any other profession that whines as much as they do. Many other workers do have it much worse. So,Good benefit packages and All Holidays & Summers off is a pretty good deal in my opinion. Teachers just need to quit all their Bitchin and get to work. The kids need them.

I agree!

18 years experience...tenure...97K plus 60% sliding up pension...7 1/2 hour day with two 45 minute breaks....5 days a week....39 weeks a year....and the right to make money as an educator elsewhere as long as it is not during school hours.....

Please tell me you are not a career counselor.

I agree!

That's because people have this notion that teachng is an easy job.

In my working days, I came across many former teachers who burned out and couldn't take it anymore. And every one of them had the same complaint; it wasn't the kids, it was the parents.

In my opinion, good teachers are worth their weight in gold (and then some).

In my working days, I came across many former teachers who burned out and couldn't take it anymore. And every one of them had the same complaint; it wasn't the kids, it was the parents.

I agree that GOOD teachers are....these greedy "teachers" in RI obviously do not fit into that category.

Geez fricking Lousie.

I make half of that, and go in early every freaking day to get stuff done, work at my computer at lunch writing IEP's or lesson plans, and bring home papers to grade, etc..which I know a TON of teachers do.

For $70,000-$78,000 I'll move there and take one of their jobs.....................

SWEET!!!

Another New England mod!!!

Interesting...

But a business owner that sacrificed his life savings on an idea....spent 70 hours a week making it happen....dealt with lawsuits, insurance iussues, employee issues, layoffs.....losses....clients not paying bills.....and finally makes it big and makes a nice chunk of change....

HE did not earn it and should have a smaller gap between his income and his employees income.

Gotcha.

I have a couple of good friends who are Teachers and we discuss this stuff all the time. The Liberal controlled Teacher Unions have encouraged endless whining. No other profession can claim as many whiners as the teaching profession does. In fact my friends and i laugh about that all the time. Teachers really do have it very good when compared to most other jobs. What other jobs provide all Weekends,Holidays,and Summers off combined with numerous other great benefits? My friend gets like a combined three to five weeks off just for the holiday seasons alone. He is fully compensated for that time off. He enjoys his Summers off as well. Seriously,what other jobs offer those kinds of benefits? Their job is tough but so is everyone else's. Teachers really do need to quit all the Bitchin and just show up for work and help the kids. They are compensated very well when compared to many other professions.

Last edited:
I have a couple of good friends who are Teachers and we discuss this stuff ll the time. The Liberal controlled Teacher Unions have encouraged endless whining. No other profession can claim as many whiners as the teaching profession does. In fact my friends and i laugh about that all the time. Teachers really do have it very good when compared to most other jobs. What other jobs provide all Weekends,Holidays,and Summers off combined with numerous other great benefits? My friend gets like a combined three to five weeks off just for the holiday seasons alone. He is fully compensated for that time off. He enjoys his Summers off as well. Seriously,what other jobs offer those kinds of benefits? Their job is tough but so is everyone else's. Teachers really do need to quit all the Bitchin and just show up for work and help the kids. They are compensated very well when compared to many other professions.

Summers off with pay,not a bad deal at all.You don't see many 12 hour days ether.

I have a couple of good friends who are Teachers and we discuss this stuff ll the time. The Liberal controlled Teacher Unions have encouraged endless whining. No other profession can claim as many whiners as the teaching profession does. In fact my friends and i laugh about that all the time. Teachers really do have it very good when compared to most other jobs. What other jobs provide all Weekends,Holidays,and Summers off combined with numerous other great benefits? My friend gets like a combined three to five weeks off just for the holiday seasons alone. He is fully compensated for that time off. He enjoys his Summers off as well. Seriously,what other jobs offer those kinds of benefits? Their job is tough but so is everyone else's. Teachers really do need to quit all the Bitchin and just show up for work and help the kids. They are compensated very well when compared to many other professions.

Summers off with pay,not a bad deal at all.You don't see many 12 hour days ether.

no 12 hour days. Per contract here in my area, a teacher is allowed to leave at 3:30 to go to a students house and charge 60 an hour for extra help...at the cost of the less fortunate children who can not pay the 60 bucks and can not meet with thewir teacher after school as she has tutoring to do off the premises.

Yes, they capped it at 60 an hour....but that was a sticking point that almost killed the contract...the union insisted on NO CAP...and originally wnated no mandatory extra help in the contract.

Now it is you must offer extra help twice a week at 2:45 when school ends...but you can end it at 3:30.

Yeah...all for the kids

All Weekends,Holidays,and Summers off is a pretty good deal in my opinion. How many other jobs provide these kinds of benefits? When i say Holiday off,i mean like two full weeks off and paid. Hey their job is tough but they are compensated pretty well. It's the Liberal controlled Teacher Unions who have encouraged endless whining. In the end Teachers have it very good when compared to most other professions. Could their pay be better? Of course,but that probably goes for all professions no? These Teachers who were just fired absolutely deserved it. They were making pretty good money and enjoyed very nice benefits. Pretty good when you consider they were complete failures. So let em whine. Just hire some new Teachers who actually care about the kids. Case closed.

Last edited:
Geez fricking Lousie.

I make half of that, and go in early every freaking day to get stuff done, work at my computer at lunch writing IEP's or lesson plans, and bring home papers to grade, etc..which I know a TON of teachers do.

For $70,000-$78,000 I'll move there and take one of their jobs.....................
Sorry EZ you are fucked because you are special ed, therefore you have no chance to meet NCLB standards :(

One should not be citing teacher salaries from 1997 to try and make a point about teacher salaries being the same in 2010.

Ya cause so much changed in the last 13 years.
NCLB has changed the whole landscape of education towards the negative. But don't let that bother you too much.

If you as a parent really want NCLB then don't let your child get behind and motivate them to achieve in life more than just on tests. Ultimately it is on the student to achieve and not the teachers nor should it be the teachers job to motivate the student. That motivation comes from themselves and the parents way before middle school.
/rant

I don't know where you hear that garbage...summers are NON-pay. Teachers are paid for the 10 months (about 190 days) of school. School districts allow pay to be stretched over 12 months...but that means that paychecks are adjusted for it.

If you talk to any teacher, they all know teachers who absolutely HATE the kids. Nice system we have where that can occur.

Geez fricking Lousie.

Sorry EZ you are fucked because you are special ed, therefore you have no chance to meet NCLB standards :(

One should not be citing teacher salaries from 1997 to try and make a point about teacher salaries being the same in 2010.

Ya cause so much changed in the last 13 years.
NCLB has changed the whole landscape of education towards the negative. But don't let that bother you too much.

If you as a parent really want NCLB then don't let your child get behind and motivate them to achieve in life more than just on tests. Ultimately it is on the student to achieve and not the teachers nor should it be the teachers job to motivate the student. That motivation comes from themselves and the parents way before middle school.
/rant
Most parents and teachers I know call it NCL...or No Child Left.

I don't know where you hear that garbage...summers are NON-pay. Teachers are paid for the 10 months (about 190 days) of school. School districts allow pay to be stretched over 12 months...but that means that paychecks are adjusted for it.

Jeez Bodecea....you can not be that irrational.

You annual salary is your annual salary...Unions accept it based on it being the annual salary.....technically, on paper, it covers 10 months...but it is an annual salary and the numbers are based on cost of living for the year...not for 10 months.

I thought you understood CoL, contracts, benchmarks, etc.......or are you simply spinning?

Forum List

Back