RI teachers get "F" for FIRED!

There are many Teachers who enjoy their jobs and really do try to help the kids. These RI Teachers are very poor representatives for Teachers. They completely failed the kids while enjoying good pay and great benefits. Their own selfishness and greed got in the way. It is time for them to go. There are many good Teachers out there who need jobs. Time for this school to move on and find those good teachers.

Summers off with pay,not a bad deal at all.You don't see many 12 hour days ether.

I don't know where you hear that garbage...summers are NON-pay. Teachers are paid for the 10 months (about 190 days) of school. School districts allow pay to be stretched over 12 months...but that means that paychecks are adjusted for it.

Jeez Bodecea....you can not be that irrational.

You annual salary is your annual salary...Unions accept it based on it being the annual salary.....technically, on paper, it covers 10 months...but it is an annual salary and the numbers are based on cost of living for the year...not for 10 months.

I thought you understood CoL, contracts, benchmarks, etc.......or are you simply spinning?
Have you seen a teacher's / District contract? I have. They are based on hours teaching...what has been described in the OP is teaching.

Just a few years ago, California was toying with the idea of extending the Middle School instructional day. All the teachers I know were all for it...except that the contract would have to be renegotiated because the hours are spelled out very clearly within that contract.

Funny thing, it was parent groups that put the cabash on that extended school day idea.

There are many Teachers who enjoy their jobs and really do try to help the kids. These RI Teachers are very poor representatives for Teachers. They completely failed the kids while enjoying good pay and great benefits. Their own selfishness and greed got in the way. It is time for them to go. There are many good Teachers out there who need jobs. Time for this school to move on and find those good teachers.

Not from what someone who knows the district says..

It is a tough student body..and one that requires an out of the box approach. The Superintendant of schools presented an idea and the union (not the teachers themselves) but the union refused....

Seems the union does not want a solution. I do not blame the teachers...assuming what that poster sioad was kegit...and I have no reason to doubt him.

Most people i talk to,would absolutely kill for paid Weekends,Holidays,and Summers off. Not many jobs left that offer those kinds of nice benefits. Sure their pay could be better but that can be said about most jobs in this country no? These RI Teachers especially,were doing pretty well considering they were complete failures. What other job continues to offer such nice benefits to workers who have been complete failures? These RI Teachers simply over-played their hands and should be gone. Time to move on.

Last edited:
I don't know where you hear that garbage...summers are NON-pay. Teachers are paid for the 10 months (about 190 days) of school. School districts allow pay to be stretched over 12 months...but that means that paychecks are adjusted for it.

Jeez Bodecea....you can not be that irrational.

You annual salary is your annual salary...Unions accept it based on it being the annual salary.....technically, on paper, it covers 10 months...but it is an annual salary and the numbers are based on cost of living for the year...not for 10 months.

I thought you understood CoL, contracts, benchmarks, etc.......or are you simply spinning?
Have you seen a teacher's / District contract? I have. They are based on hours teaching...what has been described in the OP is teaching.

Just a few years ago, California was toying with the idea of extending the Middle School instructional day. All the teachers I know were all for it...except that the contract would have to be renegotiated because the hours are spelled out very clearly within that contract.

Funny thing, it was parent groups that put the cabash on that extended school day idea.

I believe you missed the point.

Duiring contract negotiations, the hourly salary is based on what the final income will be for the teacher...and that final income is based on cost of living for the year for the teahcers..

It is not based on.."for 10 months a teacher has lving expoenses of X amount of dollars"

Negotiations are for hourly figures with the target being an ANNUAL salary fo a certain amount.....

Hard to articulate this in writing...but I think you know what I am sayiung

Here's my thoughts on schools, teachers and public education.

I am FOR School Choice. Schools should be able to choose who they allow in and keep.

I am FOR keeping up with Japan schools. That means school 6 days a week for longer hours, a return to the basics, drill and kill, and the kids spend Saturday cleaning the school themselves.

I am FOR kicking illegal alien kids out of our public schools without the parents paying a steep tuition above and beyond state funds.

I am FOR giving discipline problem kids a certain number of chances and then kicking them out and manditory work (perhaps those jobs citizens apparently turn up their noses at)...with 6 month reviews to see if they are ready to come back and be serious about school.

I am FOR Tracking....works for Europe.

I am FOR HS Vocational Training on the same footing as College Prep.

I am FOR Mainstreaming but NOT for adjusted grading for those who cannot make it in Mainstream.

and....

I am for controlled Corporal Punishment. The nuns are on to something there.

I am FOR Teacher Unions.

i wonder if the unions are going to blame obama for this. his admin is the one who implemented this new rule. or will obama get a pass....

I am FOR School Choice. Schools should be able to choose who they allow in and keep.

I am FOR keeping up with Japan schools. That means school 6 days a week for longer hours, a return to the basics, drill and kill, and the kids spend Saturday cleaning the school themselves.

I am FOR kicking illegal alien kids out of our public schools without the parents paying a steep tuition above and beyond state funds.

I am FOR giving discipline problem kids a certain number of chances and then kicking them out and manditory work (perhaps those jobs citizens apparently turn up their noses at)...with 6 month reviews to see if they are ready to come back and be serious about school.

I am FOR Mainstreaming but NOT for adjusted grading for those who cannot make it in Mainstream.

and....

I am FOR Teacher Unions.

Schools should be able to choose who they allow in and keep.

You can't be for both. They are diametrically opposite. Either the schools decide or you do.

and....

I am FOR Teacher Unions.

Wow...I agree with all you say...but not thrilled with the union part...but for no other reason than it seems the unions are more for the teachers than the children...and they should be for the teachers....and that is where the conflict is....but I am not anti union......but the union needs to take into consideration the budgets sstates are stuck with.

I have one last addition that will make your head spin.....but as a father that saw the struggles of my children as they adapted to the independence of college. I really like this idea...

2 years mandatory military training with NO COMBAT for all those that graduate high school before they go to college....with combat being for only those that volunteer for it.

2 years of discipline training will result in a disciplined 20 year old entering college as opposed to a party minded 18 year old.

Go ahead...call me a war monger.. I deserve it...but I like the idea.

i wonder if the unions are going to blame obama for this. his admin is the one who implemented this new rule. or will obama get a pass....

What new rule?

That's what I want to know...what new rule?

There is no 'new rule'. The rule underwhich the teachers are being fired is an NCLB requirement that states develop plans to deal with under performing schools. The Obama administration is finishing up what the Bush administration began (and I think that overall NCLB was and is a good idea).

Would you want to send your child to that failed RI School? Probably not. More School choice for the people would be nice. These RI Teachers actually wanted more money for being complete failures. Not many professions want to reward their employees for being miserable failures. These Teachers really did over-play their hand on this one. Good to see they were called on it.

Would you want to send your child to that failed RI School? Probably not. More School choice for the people would be nice. These RI Teachers actually wanted more money for being complete failures. Not many professions want to reward their employees for being miserable failures. These Teachers really did over-play their hand on this one. Good to see they were called on it.

There are not enough seats in good schools (public or private) to have widespread choice. The infrastructure is just not there. So, someone has to figure out a way to turn failing schools around.....and this is one of the ways............they hope!

Yeah, who do they think they are, failed banks CEOs?

BofA CEO Scores $53M Retirement Package, Investors Want Theirs | NBC New York

Yeah...those pesky little legally binding contracts.

There ought to be a law that says that if you agree to something and you are not happy with how it turned out, you do not need to live up to your commitment.

Actually.....it seems that is what is starting to happen.

Never mind.

Last edited:

and....

I am FOR Teacher Unions.

Wow...I agree with all you say...but not thrilled with the union part...but for no other reason than it seems the unions are more for the teachers than the children...and they should be for the teachers....and that is where the conflict is....but I am not anti union......but the union needs to take into consideration the budgets sstates are stuck with.

I have one last addition that will make your head spin.....but as a father that saw the struggles of my children as they adapted to the independence of college. I really like this idea...

2 years mandatory military training with NO COMBAT for all those that graduate high school before they go to college....with combat being for only those that volunteer for it.

2 years of discipline training will result in a disciplined 20 year old entering college as opposed to a party minded 18 year old.

Two years manditory public service? Sure, I like that. The Swiss require it. The Israelies require it.

(Of course, that free to do what we want part....maybe some kind of tax break if people do their two years....a tax break they get for 10 years or so)

and....

I am FOR Teacher Unions.

Two years manditory public service? Sure, I like that. The Swiss require it. The Israelies require it.

(Of course, that free to do what we want part....maybe some kind of tax break if people do their two years....a tax break they get for 10 years or so)

yeah...and that came from a conservative .....but one that realizes our children are not learning the importance of personal responsibility.....so let them learn it the hard way.

Besides...at 24 you are more likely to take luife seriously than you do at 22 years old.

Yeah...those pesky little legally binding contracts.

There ought to be a law that says that if you agree to something and you are not happy with how it turned out, you do not need to live up to your commitment.

Actually.....it seems that is what is starting to happen.

Never mind.

Union contracts are also legally binding.

Even in Conservatopia.

It's real simple as far as i'm concerned. If you're unhappy being a Teacher then simply quit and go find a better job. Your unhappiness will not do you or the kids any good. I will give you a warning about the real world though. There just aren't very many jobs that offer all Weekends off and two to three week paid breaks for Holidays. Not many that offer entire Summers off either. Most people in the real world are just happy to have a day off like Christmas to spend with their families. Let alone two to three weeks off during holiday seasons. I mean Teachers actually get an entire week off for the Easter or Spring Break. How many people you know receive that much time off? Most would be happy to just get Easter Sunday off. The real world is tough so i would advise that you unhappy teachers think things over before complaining so much or quitting. Hey just my take anyway.

Forum List

Back