RI teachers get "F" for FIRED!

Only 50% of the students graduate high school within the standard 4 years.
Seems to me the teachers were failures.
Or does RI have something in the water that makes the parents careless with their children and the children irresponsible above the norm of the country?

The water is pretty terrible. However, I don't think it's right to blame the teachers completely for the kids failing.

Central Falls is one of the more worst off parts of the state to say the least.

The amount of people under the poverty line in that city is one of the largest in the state.

It's also only 1.3 square miles.

Central Falls imposes nighttime curfew | Rhode Island news | projo.com | The Providence Journal

His life was taken innocently, said Dairami Encarnacion, a Central Falls High School senior. “This has been the worse senior year. Imagine getting your diploma in Jenks Park [where Central Falls High School holds its graduation], where somebody was killed. When I graduate, I want to get out of here,” she said.

Well then the issue may not be that the teachers are failures....but that they are not qualified to teach in such a district...

Bottom line is...they are not getting the job done...and you cant argue that....so for good or for bad, they are not what that district needs....so they need to be replaced....maybe with teachers with a different line of thinking...a different approach....but they are not doing what they were hored to do....get those kids HS degrees....

I am not saying they would not do well as teachers in a more disciplined district......but they are not what is required in THAT district.

Sort of like a marketing director who was successful at marketing pencils, may fail at marketing pens. Not that he is not good at marketing....just not the right fit to market pens....so he or she needs to be replaced.

Do you see my point?

Last edited:
Well then the issue may not be that the teachers are failures....but that they are not qualified to teach in such a district...

Bottom line is...they are not getting the job done...and you cant argue that....so for good or for bad, they are not what that district needs....so they need to be replaced....maybe with teachers with a different line of thinking...a different approach....but they are not doing what they were hored to do....get those kids HS degrees....

I am not saying they would not do well as teachers in a more disciplined district......but they are not what is required in THAT district.

Sort of like a marketing director who was successful at marketing pencils, may fail at marketing pens. Not that he is not good at marketing....just not the right fity to market pens....so he or she needs to be replaced.

Do you see my point?

Except you're not seeing the point. They would of kept their jobs and everything plus gotten a little more if they had just accepted going an extra 25 minutes a day and eating lunch with students once a week. Plus some training in the summer they'd be getting paid $30 a hour for.

They didn't, so the super took the rare step of firing them all and then doing the rehiring process. If I were a teacher, good or bad, I'd be a bit peeved that my contract was tore up like swiss cheese.

So they weren't fired for incompetence, or failing to do their job. They were all fired because of the union refused to accept the demands of the super.

Though if you knew the situation in RI, you'd be complaining about that too. This state has a Superintendent for every single city, which is totally unnecessary for a city like Central Falls for example.

Sort of like a marketing director who was successful at marketing pencils, may fail at marketing pens. Not that he is not good at marketing....just not the right fity to market pens....so he or she needs to be replaced.

Do you see my point?

Except you're not seeing the point. They would of kept their jobs and everything plus gotten a little more if they had just accepted going an extra 25 minutes a day and eating lunch with students once a week. Plus some training in the summer they'd be getting paid $30 a hour for.

They didn't, so the super took the rare step of firing them all and then doing the rehiring process. If I were a teacher, good or bad, I'd be a bit peeved that my contract was tore up like swiss cheese.

So they weren't fired for incompetence, or failing to do their job. They were all fired because of the union refused to accept the demands of the super.

Though if you knew the situation in RI, you'd be complaining about that too. This state has a Superintendent for every single city, which is totally unnecessary for a city like Central Falls for example.

I will defer to you on this as I have little knowledge of the RI system, the players and the issues. I have found that the press spins much..as we all know....so, as I said, I will defer to you on this.

But if the union was aware that the graduation rate was so poor, why were they not willing to allow changes to be made to try to solve the problem?

Did the union...OR THE TEACHERS THEMSELVES have another solution? Or did they simply want to continue as they were?

I will defer to you on this as I have little knowledge of the RI system, the players and the issues. I have found that the press spins much..as we all know....so, as I said, I will defer to you on this.

But if the union was aware that the graduation rate was so poor, why were they not willing to allow changes to be made to try to solve the problem?

Did the union...OR THE TEACHERS THEMSELVES have another solution? Or did they simply want to continue as they were?

The Union is out to protect the teacher's best interest. Why they were refusing to budge on this I have no idea. I'm assuming they were thinking of the "If we allow this, next it's..."

It's like a game of chicken, who's going to swerve out of the way first. Well, the super didn't swerve and the union ended up going out of their car on this one.

I'll have to discuss this more in better detail when I get back later. But I can tell you that plenty of other unions or teachers on the personal scale would of probably had accepted this deal. I know I would of.

The Union is out to protect the teacher's best interest. Why they were refusing to budge on this I have no idea. I'm assuming they were thinking of the "If we allow this, next it's..."

It's like a game of chicken, who's going to swerve out of the way first. Well, the super didn't swerve and the union ended up going out of their car on this one.

I'll have to discuss this more in better detail when I get back later. But I can tell you that plenty of other unions or teachers on the personal scale would of probably had accepted this deal. I know I would of.

Want to address it....let me know when youre back...need to run payroll now anyway....talk to you later.

Unionized Rhode Island Teachers Refuse To Work 25 Minutes More Per Day, So Town Fires All Of Them

Her plan calls for teachers at a local high school to work 25 minutes longer per day, each lunch with students once in a while, and help with tutoring. The teachers' union has refused to accept these apparently onerous demands.

The teachers at the high school make $70,000-$78,000, as compared to a median income in the town of $22,000. This exemplifies a nationwide trend in which public sector workers make far more than their private-sector counterparts (with better benefits).

Job well done by the Superintendent!!

Bye bye Losers. The students deserve better. Maybe these 'teachers' can work as Wal-Mart greeters now.

I am not going to defend the RI teachers...although it seems to me that they made their choice. They chose to follow their union and allowed themselves to be fired, rather than accepting the changes their superintendent was asking of them. Thats their choice. Case-closed.

What I find interesting, however, is how many people here are so instantaneously reading to place the blame for this school district's failures solely at the feet of the teachers.

If a doctor needed to operate on a patient to save his life, and the patient refused treatment, despite the doctors best efforts to explain the necessity to the patient....would you blame the doctor? Probably not at all...and if so, only a little.

If an Ad. Executive was trying to prepare a successful ad campaign for a company...but the company heads refused to tell the Ad. Exec. what the product was...or what audience they were aiming for, despite the Ad. Exec. repeatedly asking for more input...would you blame the Ad. Exec. alone or would the company share some of the blame?

If a chef was hired to create a gourmet meal...but when he arrived at the restaurant he discovered that half of the ingredients were spoiled and he was unable to to time or finances to get more ingredients...would you blame him when the food was less than stellar? Or would you understand that he was starting with an inferior product and was doing the best he could under the circumstances?

I could go on...but I think that some here are forgetting that teachers - especially public school teachers - start every year with a wide variety of starting "product."

We have students who start the school year two grade levels below the grade they are in in reading and math skills - and thanks to NCLB and the like, we are expected to bring them up to grade level in less than one school year - while also advancing our students on grade level to the next and while bringing our gifted students to whatever levels they can attain.

We have students who start the school year with parents telling them that school is stupid, that homework is just assigned for busywork and that they don't care if the kid does it or not, we have parents who leave for work before their child gets up in the morning and who don't get home until after that child has made their own dinner (and their siblings as well) and put themselves to bed.

We have students who come from families that can't read, don't speak English, distrust the public school, don't believe the teachers when they call home to say theres a problem, and who are actively working against the teachers as they try to work.

And then we have administrators who...because of their own agendas and requirements...

Are so obsessed with testing data that they don't care what happens so long as results are achieved...

Are so afraid of lawsuits that they promise parents of students with learning disabilities the world in order to get out of the IEP meeting as fast as possible...

Are so worried about being called racists, classists, etc. don't punish students for swearing, disrespect, violence etc.

And with all of these challenges....teachers are expected to produce perfect products...every time...no errors, no failures. NCLB demands that in the next 10 years schools achieve 100% proficiency....EVERY STUDENT, no exceptions for anyone who takes the regular state assessment tests.

Don't you think that it might be possible, just possible...that your public school system is filled with some incredible teachers, some shitty teachers...and a whole lot of good teacher who are working their asses off trying to achieve what - in any other industry - would be considered completely impossible: absolute perfection...given a completely non-perfect product?

Don't you think that some of these schools might be failing because the public school system has its hands tied when it comes to discipline, when it comes to getting students the specialized help some might need without removing them from the regular education setting, when it comes to parents who simply feel that the school is stupid because "it never did anything for them?"

I understand being angry at teachers unions....teachers often receive excellent salaries, incredible benefits...and there are many perks to a teachers job. But there are also, just like other jobs, incredible downsides...

And one of them is definitely people like some on this board...who want to lay blame solely at the feet of hardworking teachers who are doing a hell of a job everyday in a situation where students arrive unprepared, unable, or unwilling to work...and teachers are not allowed to do what is necessary to create an environment in which they would be able to reach these kids.

Unionized Rhode Island Teachers Refuse To Work 25 Minutes More Per Day, So Town Fires All Of Them

Her plan calls for teachers at a local high school to work 25 minutes longer per day, each lunch with students once in a while, and help with tutoring. The teachers' union has refused to accept these apparently onerous demands.

The teachers at the high school make $70,000-$78,000, as compared to a median income in the town of $22,000. This exemplifies a nationwide trend in which public sector workers make far more than their private-sector counterparts (with better benefits).

Job well done by the Superintendent!!

Bye bye Losers. The students deserve better. Maybe these 'teachers' can work as Wal-Mart greeters now.

Maybe that school can get Wal Mart greeters to be their teachers. After all, it was all the teachers fault that students didn't learn. Not the students...not the parents....all the teachers' fault.

I look forward to seeing what their NEW test scores are.

(If I had a family member teaching there, I'd tell them to quit and get out of such a shit hole place)

Maybe that school can get Wal Mart greeters to be their teachers. After all, it was all the teachers fault that students didn't learn. Not the students...not the parents....all the teachers' fault.

(If I had a family member teaching there, I'd tell them to quit and get out of such a shit hole place)

:lol: Who said it's all the teacher's fault? They didn't want to work an extra 25 minutes per day so they got fired. Case closed.

The Wal-Mart greeters might be better teachers. Wouldn't that be funny if Wal-Mart greeters were better teachers than Unionized teachers getting paid 5 times as much? :lol:

It's official! The school board has voted to accept the superintendent's reccommendation and fire all of the teachers in accordance with the state's turnaround plan.

Good riddance. Once again the selfish Liberal controlled Teacher Unions have failed the kids. These creeps will not be missed. The Teacher Unions stopped caring about the kids along time ago. Our Public School System is in ruins and i blame them for this.

Last edited:

The saddest part of all is these "teachers" are so bad, most of their students couldn't get a job as a WalMart greeter....

Good riddance. Once again the selfish Liberal controlled Teacher Unions fail the kids. These creeps will not be missed. The Teacher Unions stopped caring about the kids along time ago. Our Public School System is in ruins and i blame them for this.

Just another of your uninformed rants. That seems to be all you're good for for the past couple of years.

Good riddance. Once again the selfish Liberal controlled Teacher Unions fail the kids. These creeps will not be missed. The Teacher Unions stopped caring about the kids along time ago. Our Public School System is in ruins and i blame them for this.

Just another of your uninformed rants. That seems to be all you're good for for the past couple of years.

While I rarely, if ever agree with anything Libo posts, what specifically is uninformed about this latest one?

My sister in law brags of her salary of 97K, full "cadillac" benefits...and the right to charge students 60 an hour for after hours tutoring as long as it is not on school premises.

She is therre at 8AM and out the door at 3:30PM...she has two periods a day of no class.

She gets 8 weeks in the summer off , 2 weeks in December, 1 week in February, 2 weeks in March/April (depending on when the holiday is)....

She has a sliding penison that starts at 60% and goes upo from there.

And as she puts it...."and all I need to do is pay union dues".

When I was a kid, the teachers were there till 5PM for extra help.....

Now they leave at 3:30 so they can get paid for the "extra help"...and that was PUT INTO THE CONTRACT.....A teacher in her district is not obligated to stay past 3:30 to give extra help....SO THEY DONT!

Yeah...id say the unions put the kids under the bus.

Good riddance. Once again the selfish Liberal controlled Teacher Unions have failed the kids. These creeps will not be missed. The Teacher Unions stopped caring about the kids along time ago. Our Public School System is in ruins and i blame them for this.

You're right. Let's get rid of all the teachers. That'll show them!

I have many active and retired teachers in my family....I tell them they are crazy to put up with the abuse from students, parents, and the public at large over their profession. They should all quit. Every last one of them. I'm sure people like you can do a much better job for half the pay anyways.

Last edited:

You're right. Let's get rid of all the teachers. That'll show them!

I agree!

Forum List

Back