RI teachers get "F" for FIRED!

Mercs have always cost more than soldiers, that's why governments created armies in the first place.

And private teachers usually make more than public teachers. Echo already pointed out that she doesn't nearly make as much as that. Annie can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe she pointed out previously that she doesn't either on the same topic.

Private Industry in pretty much any profession in more profitable than public. This includes science, regular jobs, etc.

Hell, Obama makes $400,000 a year. What does the average CEO make? Much more than that.

I know every public system has a handful of 'politically connected' employees that make and exorbiant amount of money for what they do when you compare them with the 'standard' pay for that job; but I've never understood the compunction to say that public employees were making a whole chit load more than the private sector. Most people I know who have worked long term for the government, did it for the benefits (healthcare and retirement), not for the pay. Most people that I know who left government employment left for better pay.

Historically, private school teachers salaries have been less than those in the public school sector. Years ago teachers would accept a position in a private school for less money simply because they felt that the teaching environment was friendlier. Or perhaps they considered it a mission or calling. That is generally not the case anymore. Private schools have had to compete for a smaller pool of well-qualified teachers. Public school teachers' pay has risen markedly. The same is true of private teachers' pay. Private schools now pay very close to what public schools pay.

Private School Teacher Salaries - Teacher Salaries in Private School

It is true that on average private school teachers earn about 40 percent less than their public school counterparts (National Center for Educational Statistics, 1997).

http://joshua.c.hall.googlepages.co...onandPublicSchoolTeacherSalaries-JLR-Good.pdf

i have no doubt there are exceptions to this, but most private school teachers make less than public school teachers.

• Thanks
Reactions: del
Wait...this was a longer work day without a pay raise? and give up lunches? (isn't there a law against that?)

Everyone who has no problem with that and thinks a teacher's job is easy, go to RI...they're hiring.

Yeah, heaven forbid they actually work for the money they are being given. $78,000 a sweet salary. They should get a raise for another 25 mins work. Otherwise, the kids should just fail. It's not like they were hired to teach them.

Good. If they dont want to put in the time to teach the children, why the heck should they be paid?

That's right...they should not be paid because they put no time in to teach students.

When you agree to do a job, you do the job. You don't go through the motions and demand compensation. If it means you have to skip lunch, you skip lunch. If it means you stay 25 mins longer than you originally wanted to, then you stay 25 mins later.

Hard work and integrity are important. When you say you teach someone, you have a obligation to teach.

Interesting...fire all, hire back 50%....shades of Grapes of Wrath. And I notice the picture shows sporting events. Apparently they have plenty of money for that stuff.

Nope. My city for example is cutting some high school sports to say the least. It's been a big thing here to say the least.

Cutting athletic expenditures is a very hard thing to do in most cities and states. We had a state rep here a few years ago who wanted to just LOOK at athletic expenditures and she almost had her hat handed to her.

Exactly...and that shows where their priorities are.

One should not be citing teacher salaries from 1997 to try and make a point about teacher salaries being the same in 2010.

Good. If they dont want to put in the time to teach the children, why the heck should they be paid?

That's right...they should not be paid because they put no time in to teach students.

When you agree to do a job, you do the job. You don't go through the motions and demand compensation. If it means you have to skip lunch, you skip lunch. If it means you stay 25 mins longer than you originally wanted to, then you stay 25 mins later.

Hard work and integrity are important. When you say you teach someone, you have a obligation to teach.

Sorry...but when you have a contract...it is for a set # of hours. They don't increase your hours without compensation...just like YOU don't cut your hours and expect to be paid the same amount. And MOST states have laws about lunch and not being required to work during lunch time (usually a manditory 30 minutes) I doubt RI is different.

I don't see others jumping in to take teaching jobs even tho I see lots of people whining about how teachers have got it "so easy". I guess it's ok to trample all over their employee rights, eh?

Wait...this was a longer work day without a pay raise? and give up lunches? (isn't there a law against that?)

Everyone who has no problem with that and thinks a teacher's job is easy, go to RI...they're hiring.

Yeah, heaven forbid they actually work for the money they are being given. $78,000 a sweet salary. They should get a raise for another 25 mins work. Otherwise, the kids should just fail. It's not like they were hired to teach them.

Why don't YOU go teach in RI since it is such a sweet deal?

One of the sticking points here (and with Race to the Top) is the idea of "third party teacher evaluations". I've yet to see any guidelines of how these will be performed and I doubt if their are any. Just like the ridiculous benchmarks that were set for NCLB, unions are afraid that the same lack of common sense and fairness will be applied to these as well.

I teach special education. Should my performance be based on how many of these students pass the state test? Will the students attendance (or lack thereof) be reflected in teacher's evaluation? Too many questions, and no one seems to have any answers. It's a shame for everyone in this district. Especially the kids.

Sorry...but when you have a contract...it is for a set # of hours. They don't increase your hours without compensation...just like YOU don't cut your hours and expect to be paid the same amount. And MOST states have laws about lunch and not being required to work during lunch time (usually a manditory 30 minutes) I doubt RI is different.

I don't see others jumping in to take teaching jobs even tho I see lots of people whining about how teachers have got it "so easy". I guess it's ok to trample all over their employee rights, eh?

Are you fucking serious? These "teachers" are failures. They suck at their jobs and are STILL pulling down $70k-$78k/annually. Besides Wall Street, where do you see such reward for failure?

Anyone who believes that private workers don't make more in most cases don't look at the facts.

Blackwater Mercs Make More than Petraeus

According to data provided to the House panel, the average per-day pay to personnel Blackwater hired was $600. According to the schedule of rates, supplies and services attached to the contract, Blackwater charged Regency $1,075 a day for senior managers, $945 a day for middle managers and $815 a day for operators.

An unmarried sergeant given Iraq pay and relief from U.S. taxes makes about $83 to $85 a day, given time in service. A married sergeant with children makes about double that, $170 a day.

Army Gen. David H. Petraeus, the top U.S. commander in Baghdad overseeing more than 160,000 U.S. troops, makes roughly $180,000 a year, or about $493 a day. That comes out to less than half the fee charged by Blackwater for its senior manager of a 34-man security team.

READ THE FUCKING ARTICLE!!!

The mean salary in the town was $22K and teachers made more than 3 times that!

Are you fucking serious? These "teachers" are failures. They suck at their jobs and are STILL pulling down $70k-$78k/annually. Besides Wall Street, where do you see such reward for failure?

Define how this is the teachers as "failures", VA.

Anyone who believes that private workers don't make more in most cases don't look at the facts.

Blackwater Mercs Make More than Petraeus

According to data provided to the House panel, the average per-day pay to personnel Blackwater hired was $600. According to the schedule of rates, supplies and services attached to the contract, Blackwater charged Regency $1,075 a day for senior managers, $945 a day for middle managers and $815 a day for operators.

An unmarried sergeant given Iraq pay and relief from U.S. taxes makes about $83 to $85 a day, given time in service. A married sergeant with children makes about double that, $170 a day.

Army Gen. David H. Petraeus, the top U.S. commander in Baghdad overseeing more than 160,000 U.S. troops, makes roughly $180,000 a year, or about $493 a day. That comes out to less than half the fee charged by Blackwater for its senior manager of a 34-man security team.

READ THE FUCKING ARTICLE!!!

Um, you do know that teachers don't create their own contracts, right? Who in the district made such negotiations?

You completely missed the point I was trying to make Frank. I think if any of us on this board know this situation best, it's someone from the damn state we're discussing.

Define how this is the teachers as "failures", VA.

Only 50% of the students graduate high school within the standard 4 years.
Seems to me the teachers were failures.
Or does RI have something in the water that makes the parents careless with their children and the children irresponsible above the norm of the country?

You completely missed the point I was trying to make Frank. I think if any of us on this board know this situation best, it's someone from the damn state we're discussing.

According to that logic, a recluse in Florida who does not watch the news, vote, do research about state legislation...knws more about what i shappeniong in Florida than say...a person in Michigan who reads the newspapers daily, watched the evening news and researches to confirm what he or she hears.

I will remmeber that when I see your next post about jobs refuting what I say....as I am a man that is in the heart of the job industry owning a personnel agancy and a temp agancy in NY...not to mention my participation at a high level with both trade associations.

Only 50% of the students graduate high school within the standard 4 years.
Seems to me the teachers were failures.
Or does RI have something in the water that makes the parents careless with their children and the children irresponsible above the norm of the country?

The water is pretty terrible. However, I don't think it's right to blame the teachers completely for the kids failing.

Central Falls is one of the more worst off parts of the state to say the least.

The amount of people under the poverty line in that city is one of the largest in the state.

It's also only 1.3 square miles.

Central Falls imposes nighttime curfew | Rhode Island news | projo.com | The Providence Journal

His life was taken innocently, said Dairami Encarnacion, a Central Falls High School senior. “This has been the worse senior year. Imagine getting your diploma in Jenks Park [where Central Falls High School holds its graduation], where somebody was killed. When I graduate, I want to get out of here,” she said.

Last edited:
According to that logic, a recluse in Florida who does not watch the news, vote, do research about state legislation...knws more about what i shappeniong in Florida than say...a person in Michigan who reads the newspapers daily, watched the evening news and researches to confirm what he or she hears.

I will remmeber that when I see your next post about jobs refuting what I say....as I am a man that is in the heart of the job industry owning a personnel agancy and a temp agancy in NY...not to mention my participation at a high level with both trade associations.

If I was a reclusive who did not watch the news, vote, or do research then you may have a point. However, until that day, all you or Frank are doing is blowing smoke on the subject.

I don't care what you plan on doing next time you post. If I refute what you have to say, then I refute it using something called evidence. Frank just yelled and asked if I read the damn article as if I don't know my own state.

Forum List

Back