RI teachers get "F" for FIRED!

Geez fricking Lousie.

I make half of that, and go in early every freaking day to get stuff done, work at my computer at lunch writing IEP's or lesson plans, and bring home papers to grade, etc..which I know a TON of teachers do.

For $70,000-$78,000 I'll move there and take one of their jobs.....................

what is sad is that this is but one example of overpaid government workers with great benefits. my wife has worked for state governments and you would be appalled at the pay of people who literally do nothing but filing. once you're tenured or past a certain point, you cannot be fired, so this one lady continued to make 75K a year, accruing retirement, etc....and all she did was file.

this kind of waste costs taxpayers alot of money. if obama wants to fix waste/fraud with medicare, let's go this across the board.

It appears that this is not a done deal...

Rhode Island School to Fire All of Its Teachers - ABC News

To get a full appreciation of the situation, read the whole story.l

Interesting...fire all, hire back 50%....shades of Grapes of Wrath. And I notice the picture shows sporting events. Apparently they have plenty of money for that stuff.

Yes it is (Grapes of Wrathish). I knew that there were very few superintendents who would take it upon themselves to fire all unionized teachers. Why? For a couple of reasonsl:

1. In most towns (especially smaller ones), members of teacher unions are active in other areas of the community and have the ear of at least some of the local school board members.

2. Most state departments of education have rules that would negatively effect the financial contribution to the district by the federal government and the state if a superintendent did this on his/her own.

3. One of the good things about NCLB (and so far, the Obama administration seems to be following through) is that state departements of education have to have sanctions in place for non-performing schools. NCLB required a minimum and the USDE, so far, this year has required that state departments of education have plans in place to turn around seriously failing schools.

This situation in RI may be repeated in various states where the state department of education have their plans in place for 'worse case scenarios'.

Anyone who believes that private workers don't make more in most cases don't look at the facts.

Blackwater Mercs Make More than Petraeus

According to data provided to the House panel, the average per-day pay to personnel Blackwater hired was $600. According to the schedule of rates, supplies and services attached to the contract, Blackwater charged Regency $1,075 a day for senior managers, $945 a day for middle managers and $815 a day for operators.

An unmarried sergeant given Iraq pay and relief from U.S. taxes makes about $83 to $85 a day, given time in service. A married sergeant with children makes about double that, $170 a day.

Army Gen. David H. Petraeus, the top U.S. commander in Baghdad overseeing more than 160,000 U.S. troops, makes roughly $180,000 a year, or about $493 a day. That comes out to less than half the fee charged by Blackwater for its senior manager of a 34-man security team.

Kids fail, cant alway blame the teachers, In this case an enlightened move That should be emulated in NYC.

Why? Public school teachers in NY only make $45K on average...catholic school teachers only $38K (ran across that little tid bit while trying to confirm the accuracy of this story).

Did you run across this?
Teachers in trouble spending years in 'rubber room' limbo that costs $65M

I heard about that. I thought the entire thing was sort of stupid on the part of the system. My first thought was hire temporary staff to get rid of the backlog, finish firing them, and voila!!! You get an annual 'budget increase' of $65 million!! Without having to go to the legislature or the citizens. Seems like a 'no-brainer' to me.

Anyone who believes that private workers don't make more in most cases don't look at the facts.

According to data provided to the House panel, the average per-day pay to personnel Blackwater hired was $600. According to the schedule of rates, supplies and services attached to the contract, Blackwater charged Regency $1,075 a day for senior managers, $945 a day for middle managers and $815 a day for operators.

An unmarried sergeant given Iraq pay and relief from U.S. taxes makes about $83 to $85 a day, given time in service. A married sergeant with children makes about double that, $170 a day.

Army Gen. David H. Petraeus, the top U.S. commander in Baghdad overseeing more than 160,000 U.S. troops, makes roughly $180,000 a year, or about $493 a day. That comes out to less than half the fee charged by Blackwater for its senior manager of a 34-man security team.

Mercs have always cost more than soldiers, that's why governments created armies in the first place.

Mercs have always cost more than soldiers, that's why governments created armies in the first place.

And private teachers usually make more than public teachers. Echo already pointed out that she doesn't nearly make as much as that. Annie can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe she pointed out previously that she doesn't either on the same topic.

Private Industry in pretty much any profession in more profitable than public. This includes science, regular jobs, etc.

Hell, Obama makes $400,000 a year. What does the average CEO make? Much more than that.

Why? Public school teachers in NY only make $45K on average...catholic school teachers only $38K (ran across that little tid bit while trying to confirm the accuracy of this story).

Did you run across this?
Teachers in trouble spending years in 'rubber room' limbo that costs $65M

I heard about that. I thought the entire thing was sort of stupid on the part of the system. My first thought was hire temporary staff to get rid of the backlog, finish firing them, and voila!!! You get an annual 'budget increase' of $65 million!! Without having to go to the legislature or the citizens. Seems like a 'no-brainer' to me.
Seems to cost more to fire them then to warehouse them , something is wrong with the system.

its stupid to use that as an example. just one example and someone thinks they prove a point....well then, teachers in private schools as a whole make less than those in public schools....therefore, the public sector makes more money

:lol:

These teachers were making the high end on the scale that teachers make. Using them as the example that public teachers as a whole make more is stupid.

Geez fricking Lousie.

I make half of that, and go in early every freaking day to get stuff done, work at my computer at lunch writing IEP's or lesson plans, and bring home papers to grade, etc..which I know a TON of teachers do.

For $70,000-$78,000 I'll move there and take one of their jobs.....................
Providence Public Schools Teaching Salaries

Degree Level Step 1 Teaching Salary Step 5 Teaching Salary Step 10 Teaching Salary
Bachelor's Degree $35,563 $47,543 $67,033
Master's Degree $37,918 $49,898 $69,388
Doctorate Degree $38,720 $50,700 $70,190

what is sad is that this is but one example of overpaid government workers with great benefits. my wife has worked for state governments and you would be appalled at the pay of people who literally do nothing but filing. once you're tenured or past a certain point, you cannot be fired, so this one lady continued to make 75K a year, accruing retirement, etc....and all she did was file.

this kind of waste costs taxpayers alot of money. if obama wants to fix waste/fraud with medicare, let's go this across the board.

Rhode Island Teacher Salary | Find a Detailed List of Rhode Island Teacher Salaries by Degree On Teacher-World.com

I've worked for a couple of state governments, and there was no one in either state that couldn't be fired. And those that only did filing didn't make a lot of money either. But that was in the two states that I've worked in state government; your state may be different. But I don't think it's the norm.

To be honest, I don't think the salary info in the story is correct.

Interesting...fire all, hire back 50%....shades of Grapes of Wrath. And I notice the picture shows sporting events. Apparently they have plenty of money for that stuff.

Nope. My city for example is cutting some high school sports to say the least. It's been a big thing here to say the least.

Cutting athletic expenditures is a very hard thing to do in most cities and states. We had a state rep here a few years ago who wanted to just LOOK at athletic expenditures and she almost had her hat handed to her.

Geez fricking Lousie.

Degree Level Step 1 Teaching Salary Step 5 Teaching Salary Step 10 Teaching Salary

Rhode Island Teacher Salary | Find a Detailed List of Rhode Island Teacher Salaries by Degree On Teacher-World.com

I've worked for a couple of state governments, and there was no one in either state that couldn't be fired. And those that only did filing didn't make a lot of money either. But that was in the two states that I've worked in state government; your state may be different. But I don't think it's the norm.

that is the way it is in cali....also, i bet RI has a cost of living adjustment like cali....so while there are published state pay scales, certain counties can adjust the pay up for cost of living....

and if a batchelor's at step 10 makes 67K...i don't see 70-78K being a stretch

Cutting athletic expenditures is a very hard thing to do in most cities and states. We had a state rep here a few years ago who wanted to just LOOK at athletic expenditures and she almost had her hat handed to her.

It's been interesting here to say the least. But the schools can't do nothing about it supposedly. I'm just glad I graduated last year.

And private teachers usually make more than public teachers. Echo already pointed out that she doesn't nearly make as much as that. Annie can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe she pointed out previously that she doesn't either on the same topic.

Private Industry in pretty much any profession in more profitable than public. This includes science, regular jobs, etc.

Hell, Obama makes $400,000 a year. What does the average CEO make? Much more than that.

I know every public system has a handful of 'politically connected' employees that make and exorbiant amount of money for what they do when you compare them with the 'standard' pay for that job; but I've never understood the compunction to say that public employees were making a whole chit load more than the private sector. Most people I know who have worked long term for the government, did it for the benefits (healthcare and retirement), not for the pay. Most people that I know who left government employment left for better pay.

I know every public system has a handful of 'politically connected' employees that make and exorbiant amount of money for what they do when you compare them with the 'standard' pay for that job; but I've never understood the compunction to say that public employees were making a whole chit load more than the private sector. Most people I know who have worked long term for the government, did it for the benefits (healthcare and retirement), not for the pay. Most people that I know who left government employment left for better pay.

Same. It's always the benefits, not the pay because they look long-term. However, with the way things are going, people would be financially better off in the private sector in many cases.

It's been interesting here to say the least. But the schools can't do nothing about it supposedly. I'm just glad I graduated last year.

My state is football crazy. The citizens, probably rallied at the request of the state high school athletic association, are the ones that applied the political pressure when this state rep wanted the legislature to look at athlethic expenditures. But of course that was during better state budgetary times.

that is the way it is in cali....also, i bet RI has a cost of living adjustment like cali....so while there are published state pay scales, certain counties can adjust the pay up for cost of living....

and if a batchelor's at step 10 makes 67K...i don't see 70-78K being a stretch

Not for an individual; but 70-78K as an average would be darn near impossible. (And I believe the article in the OP cited it as an average.)

I know every public system has a handful of 'politica connected' employees that make and exorbiant amount of money for what they do when you compare them with the 'standard' pay for that job; but I've never understood the compunction to say that public employees were making a whole chit load more than the private sector. Most people I know who have worked long term for the government, did it for the benefits (healthcare and retirement), not for the pay. Most people that I know who left government employment left for better pay.

Same. It's always the benefits, not the pay because they look long-term. However, with the way things are going, people would be financially better off in the private sector in many cases.

True. But there are a lot of cautious/risk averse people and for them, the 'security' makes it worth it.

Forum List

Back