RI teachers get "F" for FIRED!

VaYank5150

Gold Member
Aug 3, 2009
Virginia
Unionized Rhode Island Teachers Refuse To Work 25 Minutes More Per Day, So Town Fires All Of Them

Her plan calls for teachers at a local high school to work 25 minutes longer per day, each lunch with students once in a while, and help with tutoring. The teachers' union has refused to accept these apparently onerous demands.

The teachers at the high school make $70,000-$78,000, as compared to a median income in the town of $22,000. This exemplifies a nationwide trend in which public sector workers make far more than their private-sector counterparts (with better benefits).

Job well done by the Superintendent!!

Well the Superintendent wasn't bluffing.

Though the article is wrong when it says public teachers make more than private ones. And for other industries too, etc.

Last edited:
Geez fricking Lousie.

I make half of that, and go in early every freaking day to get stuff done, work at my computer at lunch writing IEP's or lesson plans, and bring home papers to grade, etc..which I know a TON of teachers do.

For $70,000-$78,000 I'll move there and take one of their jobs.....................

Geez fricking Lousie.

I make half of that, and go in early every freaking day to get stuff done, work at my computer at lunch writing IEP's or lesson plans, and bring home papers to grade, etc..which I know a TON of teachers do.

For $70,000-$78,000 I'll move there and take one of their jobs.....................

This is my point, and which is why the article is wrong.

Annie said she'd move here too, you should. :D :lol:

Teachers making in excess of $70k annually, while the town's mean salary is $22K AND their kids were failing? These teachers should have been fired years ago, IMHO!

One of the cases where the union protection is strong. Though I must say, it is interesting that they could of avoided all this by doing minor things that would benefited them.

Good. If they dont want to put in the time to teach the children, why the heck should they be paid?

Kids fail, cant alway blame the teachers, In this case an enlightened move That should be emulated in NYC.

Why? Public school teachers in NY only make $45K on average...catholic school teachers only $38K (ran across that little tid bit while trying to confirm the accuracy of this story).

Why? Public school teachers in NY only make $45K on average...catholic school teachers only $38K (ran across that little tid bit while trying to confirm the accuracy of this story).

To be honest, Catholic Schools are really their own category apart from private schools.

Unionized Rhode Island Teachers Refuse To Work 25 Minutes More Per Day, So Town Fires All Of Them

Her plan calls for teachers at a local high school to work 25 minutes longer per day, each lunch with students once in a while, and help with tutoring. The teachers' union has refused to accept these apparently onerous demands.

The teachers at the high school make $70,000-$78,000, as compared to a median income in the town of $22,000. This exemplifies a nationwide trend in which public sector workers make far more than their private-sector counterparts (with better benefits).

Job well done by the Superintendent!!

Wait...this was a longer work day without a pay raise? and give up lunches? (isn't there a law against that?)

Everyone who has no problem with that and thinks a teacher's job is easy, go to RI...they're hiring.

Wait...this was a longer work day without a pay raise? and give up lunches? (isn't there a law against that?)

Everyone who has no problem with that and thinks a teacher's job is easy, go to RI...they're hiring.

Considering their pay, most teachers would jump at the chance.

Interesting...fire all, hire back 50%....shades of Grapes of Wrath. And I notice the picture shows sporting events. Apparently they have plenty of money for that stuff.

Nope. My city for example is cutting some high school sports to say the least. It's been a big thing here to say the least.

Forum List

Back