Research paper on magazine capacity and how it does not effect deaths in mass shootings...

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
Here is Dr. Gary Kleck's paper on his research into magazine capacity and mass shootings....

Large-Capacity Magazines and the Casualty Counts in Mass Shootings: The Plausibility of Linkages by Gary Kleck :: SSRN

Abstract

Do bans on large-capacity magazines (LCMs) for semiautomatic firearms have significant potential for reducing the number of deaths and injuries in mass shootings? The most common rationale for an effect of LCM use is that they allow mass killers to fire many rounds without reloading. LCMs are used is less than 1/3 of 1% of mass shootings.

News accounts of 23 shootings in which more than six people were killed or wounded and LCMs were used, occurring in the U.S. in 1994-2013, were examined.

There was only one incident in which the shooter may have been stopped by bystander intervention when he tried to reload.

In all of these 23 incidents the shooter possessed either multiple guns or multiple magazines, meaning that the shooter, even if denied LCMs, could have continued firing without significant interruption by either switching loaded guns or by changing smaller loaded magazines with only a 2-4 second delay for each magazine change.

Finally, the data indicate mass shooters maintain slow enough rates of fire such that the time needed to reload would not increase the time between shots and thus the time available for prospective victims to escape

This is something I posted about before....the claims that reloading saved lives at Sandy Hook is not backed up by any evidence...

For example, a story in the Hartford Courant about the Sandy Hook elementary school killings in 2012 was headlined “Shooter Paused, and Six Escaped,” the text asserting that as many as six children may have survived because the shooter paused to reload (December 23, 2012). The author of the story, however, went on to concede that this was just a speculation by an unnamed source, and that it was also possible that some children simply escaped when the killer was shooting other children.

-------------

In sum, in nearly all LCM-involved mass shootings, the time it takes to reload a detachable magazine is no greater than the average time between shots that the shooter takes anyway when not reloading. Consequently, there is no affirmative evidence that reloading detachable magazines slows mass shooters’ rates of fire, and thus no affirmative evidence that 23 the number of victims who could escape the killers due to additional pauses in the shooting is increased by the shooter’s need to change magazines.

Here is what I know. There have been several states (I just returned from Kansas) that have "Constitutional Carry". Any adult not convicted of a felony can carry, either open or concealed - WITHOUT the state requiring a permit or license. There has been no rise in the crime rate in Kansas, no (or very few) incidents with adults carrying and no incidents between civilians and Law Enforcement personnel.

In 2017 (in Kansas), it will be legal to carry on College campuses.

This is what needs to happen nation wide. Then (in my humble opinion) you will see an end to these mass shootings. These cowards, who choose to attack schools (no fear of armed confrontation) will end.

Just my opinion.

Forum List

Back