Rescuers are 2 days away from teen sailor: At What Cost?

Al Seib / Los Angeles Times
Rescuers are 2 days away from teen sailor
Boats won't reach Abby Sunderland for almost two days, but brother is optimistic

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So the parents of a young man who did this before allow their 16 year old daughter to do it. Why? Is it for USA pride? Who will it benefit? It is extremely dangerous as a solo trip.

Who do the parents from Thousand Oaks, CA. expect to pay for all the resources in tight times? Its sad. I hope the child, yes child, is okay, but her parents should be held accountable for some things.

Or do you disagree?

At first light, the Australian Coast Guard also intends to fly over the area, he said.

The family was huddled inside the house in a room equipped with a navigation station and computers. His parents were on the phone with the Coast Guard. Zac Sunderland was making calls to Mauritius, an island off the coast of Africa, to start an emergency rescue effort from there. Zac Sunderland said he has a personal relationship with people there because he stopped there during his solo sail around the world when he was 17.

Two ships are about 400 miles – and two days – away from her location.

Los Angeles sector Coast Guard Lt. Ana Thorsson said Sunderland's emergency beacon signal was picked up by her agency in Northern California. Sunderland was about 2,000 miles southwest of Australia.

A voluntary international merchant ship rescue network, known as AMVER, is expected to join the search effort, Thorsson said.

Who cares what the cost is? I bet you don't worry about cost if it were you or your family.

Boats won't reach Abby Sunderland for almost two days, but brother is optimistic

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So the parents of a young man who did this before allow their 16 year old daughter to do it. Why? Is it for USA pride? Who will it benefit? It is extremely dangerous as a solo trip.

Who do the parents from Thousand Oaks, CA. expect to pay for all the resources in tight times? Its sad. I hope the child, yes child, is okay, but her parents should be held accountable for some things.

Or do you disagree?

At first light, the Australian Coast Guard also intends to fly over the area, he said.

The family was huddled inside the house in a room equipped with a navigation station and computers. His parents were on the phone with the Coast Guard. Zac Sunderland was making calls to Mauritius, an island off the coast of Africa, to start an emergency rescue effort from there. Zac Sunderland said he has a personal relationship with people there because he stopped there during his solo sail around the world when he was 17.

Two ships are about 400 miles – and two days – away from her location.

Los Angeles sector Coast Guard Lt. Ana Thorsson said Sunderland's emergency beacon signal was picked up by her agency in Northern California. Sunderland was about 2,000 miles southwest of Australia.

A voluntary international merchant ship rescue network, known as AMVER, is expected to join the search effort, Thorsson said.

Who cares what the cost is? I bet you don't worry about cost if it were you or your family.

Then on the other hand, I wouldn't let a member of my family do something so reckless and stupid knowing there was even the slightest chance that something like this might happen and end up costing my already broke government millions of dollars.

So it comes down to class envy?

Thats kind of what I thought
. :rolleyes:

Envy? No, that would be arguing to be just as entitled. It would be like middle class whites demanding special treatment that minorities get -- like being able to call black men 'niggar' while ignoring being a minority is no walk in the park in American society.

Yeah, the poor black man is being kept down, right?

Have you looked at who the president is right now. :lol:

What bullshit.

Yet you keep talking about upper class entitlement, that sounds like envy to me. Or liberal brainwashing. Take your pick.
envy? naw, life experience. I've traveled in many circles and have been exposed to lots. Let us just say, I had a unique outlook on America at an early age brought about by my exposure to places outside my neighborhood.

I grew up on the border, and routinely traveled to a Mexico. I have also traveled to a few other countries. The fact that you managed to travel around and have a unique view of this country means nothing to me. The truth is that everyone has a unique view of this country, no matter how extensive, or limited, their travels. I must assume that the problem with you is liberal brainwashing from your education, and the guilt that liberals love to instil in everyone because not everyone goes to college. Perhaps you will grow out of it in a few more years, though I doubt it, you have a degree in history, and probably work in an academic setting, and not the real world.

One can only hope, altho like you, I doubt it.

The child was sent out on an extremely dangerous stunt with the expectation, the class sense of entitlement, that the world will be there if little Jane gets into danger.

When poor Mexicans cross a border or refugees flee nations in strife, they do so knowing very few people will come to their rescue or even care. and many defending this idiot and selfish family would say people who die fleeing poverty deserve the results of the risks they take

From several of your posts that I've read now you keep talking about 'entitlement' and rich versus poor. It seems that's basically what this is about to you. Her family is affluent enough to afford for her to take on a trip like this and you begrudge it. I guess the coast guard shouldn't have to worry about poor Cuban refugees stuck out on the ocean on a raft either then? I mean they knowingly pulled a stupid stunt and put themselves in danger, right? Or is it because they are poor they deserve help and assitance and because this girl and her family are well off, they don't?

You really think that if a Cuban called the Coast Guard and said hey help me my family was on a raft headed for Miami and they got blown to sea that the Coast Guard would send a single sailboat out to look for them? :lol:

Yeah, I do.

Google

Or do you disagree?

Then on the other hand, I wouldn't let a member of my family do something so reckless and stupid knowing there was even the slightest chance that something like this might happen and end up costing my already broke government millions of dollars.

Just because you wouldn't doesn't make it reckless nor stupid. Do you let your child go swimming? Do you allow your child to ride in a car? These two acts cause more childrens death than any other.

Do you have evidence that suggest this is costing or may cost the US?

Personally I am praying this child, will live through this ordeal. She is one brave soul with more guts than many people I have known. She is, hopefully, to be watched in her later years, if she makes it, determined people that reach their goals through this kind of perseverance,dedication etc is admirable.

That being said, I would not allow my underage child, no matter how smart, determined or brilliant, to undertake such a venture alone. At the age of 18, then it would be their decision, until then it would be mine.

I am wondering what the motive of the parents really is. I know one thing, I would not risk my underage child's life for a chance to make a world record or anything else that would bring worldwide notoriety. Could the parents desire for this world record be worth that risk to them? Not in my world it wouldn't.

More to say, but will sit back for a while before I pop a vein.

Last edited:
Just because you wouldn't doesn't make it reckless nor stupid. Do you let your child go swimming? Do you allow your child to ride in a car? These two acts cause more childrens death than any other.

Do you have evidence that suggest this is costing or may cost the US?

The problem is that searching for her will cost someone. It may not be this country but it will cost someone something.

There have been sailors before who get into trouble on the open ocean and it is standard for whomever is closest to search. This case is just getting more attention because she is a young girl.

By the way, she was found alive.

Boats head to teen sailor drifting in Indian Ocean - Yahoo! News

Once again, I ask. When did we become a nation of fucking retards who think that just having the right to do something is enough of a reason to do it?

Seriously if you are so fucking retarded that you think it is ok for a 16 y/o girl to go on a solo sail around the world and expect valuable government resources to rescue her when the inevitable happens why don't you do the rest of us a favor and never procreate

Not really sure, but I think it was in 1776.

BINGO and you just felt right into the very thing you definitely didn't want to. Who "owns" the Coast Guard which is now searching for this child?

The child was sent out on an extremely dangerous stunt with the expectation, the class sense of entitlement, that the world will be there if little Jane gets into danger.

When poor Mexicans cross a border or refugees flee nations in strife, they do so knowing very few people will come to their rescue or even care. and many defending this idiot and selfish family would say people who die fleeing poverty deserve the results of the risks they take

From several of your posts that I've read now you keep talking about 'entitlement' and rich versus poor. It seems that's basically what this is about to you. Her family is affluent enough to afford for her to take on a trip like this and you begrudge it. I guess the coast guard shouldn't have to worry about poor Cuban refugees stuck out on the ocean on a raft either then? I mean they knowingly pulled a stupid stunt and put themselves in danger, right? Or is it because they are poor they deserve help and assitance and because this girl and her family are well off, they don't?

:clap2:

Once ObamaCare is in full effect, I suspect we'll see very frequent "news" items such as:

Smoker treated for heart attack - at what cost?

Obese Type II Diabetic given dialysis - at what cost?

Heavy drinker given liver transplant - at what cost?

Incredibly old lady given prescription medication to keep her healthy - at what cost?

You really think that if a Cuban called the Coast Guard and said hey help me my family was on a raft headed for Miami and they got blown to sea that the Coast Guard would send a single sailboat out to look for them? :lol:

They would actually launch a full air and sea search because they, like me, believe that human life is worth saving.

If it was me, I'd ask for a million dollar bond and we'll refund whatever is left over after we save your little brat.

all the white posters here with that sense of middle class/upper middle class entitlement, ignore the history. This girls brother did the same thing a few years ago, He even spoke about how dangerous it was. Professional sailors in races are lost every year while sailing solo. This is a 16 year old child. Oh she is equipped with lots of communication toys. They just conveniently glossed over how nasty mother nature can be, and how costly it would be for societies already struggling with financial costs of everything from schools to basic services---if anything likely to happen, happened.

Is that how your mind works? Pathetic.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Newby, You're an a-hole for picking on the mentally challenged
:tongue:

They would actually launch a full air and sea search because they, like me, believe that human life is worth saving.

You are incorrect insofar as Cubans being allowed on American soil. The policy concerning Cuban refugees is clear....they would NOT be allowed to set foot on American soil. They would have their boat repaired...be given food and water...then sent on their way.

You are right they should just let her drift there without a main sail....very compassionate.Now the Libs care about spending.

You are right they should just let her drift there without a main sail....very compassionate.Now the Libs care about spending.

Her parents can do whatever they need to do , but her rescue isn't MY problem.

PS I'm not a lib, not even close.

You are incorrect insofar as Cubans being allowed on American soil. The policy concerning Cuban refugees is clear....they would NOT be allowed to set foot on American soil. They would have their boat repaired...be given food and water...then sent on their way.

Where the fuck did I say anything about letting them emigrate? I said they would save them, and if you do not understand the difference between then the public school system is a lot worse than I thought it was.

FYI, the policy is that they will find them, and bring them to American soil for medical care before deporting them back to Cuba. They do not just dump them back in a leaking, and overcrowded, boat int eh hope that they will not make it to American soil. Wet foot/dry foot applies only to whether they can stay, not whether they will help them.

Where the fuck did I say anything about letting them emigrate? I said they would save them, and if you do not understand the difference between then the public school system is a lot worse than I thought it was.

FYI, the policy is that they will find them, and bring them to American soil for medical care before deporting them back to Cuba. They do not just dump them back in a leaking, and overcrowded, boat int eh hope that they will not make it to American soil. Wet foot/dry foot applies only to whether they can stay, not whether they will help them.

sir, you missed my entire premise. I am not talking about if the coast guard comes across the immigrants, or if they were in our waters. Imagine those cubans had got washed out into the middle of the Atlantic far away from American soil. We wouldn't send ships after them.

Here....look what you posted...it's BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Christ...I wish people who don't know what the FUCK they are talking about would shut the fuck UP!

Forum List

Back