Rescuers are 2 days away from teen sailor: At What Cost?

Al Seib / Los Angeles Times
Rescuers are 2 days away from teen sailor
Boats won't reach Abby Sunderland for almost two days, but brother is optimistic

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So the parents of a young man who did this before allow their 16 year old daughter to do it. Why? Is it for USA pride? Who will it benefit? It is extremely dangerous as a solo trip.

Who do the parents from Thousand Oaks, CA. expect to pay for all the resources in tight times? Its sad. I hope the child, yes child, is okay, but her parents should be held accountable for some things.

Or do you disagree?

So you are opposed to freedom, thanks for proving you are a douche bag.

WTF does any of this have to do with freedom? You must watch or listen to an awful lot FOX programming.

WTF? I watch a lot of FoxNews. I don't remember Beck saying it's ok to do stupid shit and expect the taxpayer to foot the bill if you need saved.

WTF does any of this have to do with freedom? You must watch or listen to an awful lot FOX programming.

WTF? I watch a lot of FoxNews. I don't remember Beck saying it's ok to do stupid shit and expect the taxpayer to foot the bill if you need saved.

thats because he makes a lot of money talkin shit.

I resent no one their money. I never judged a friend by how much or little they had and I've known quite a few people who span the whole spectrum. I have always put very little value on monetary status or gain. I was born poor, I'll die poor, and have enjoyed my life as much as most other men will have enjoyed theirs.

see?

:cool:

Yet you keep talking about upper class entitlement, that sounds like envy to me. Or liberal brainwashing. Take your pick.
envy? naw, life experience. I've traveled in many circles and have been exposed to lots. Let us just say, I had a unique outlook on America at an early age brought about by my exposure to places outside my neighborhood.

I grew up on the border, and routinely traveled to a Mexico. I have also traveled to a few other countries. The fact that you managed to travel around and have a unique view of this country means nothing to me. The truth is that everyone has a unique view of this country, no matter how extensive, or limited, their travels. I must assume that the problem with you is liberal brainwashing from your education, and the guilt that liberals love to instil in everyone because not everyone goes to college. Perhaps you will grow out of it in a few more years, though I doubt it, you have a degree in history, and probably work in an academic setting, and not the real world.

You are belittling the extreme nature of this trek, this stunt.

Percentage of the world or even the US population that attempts a solo sail around the world, compared to the percentage of said population to any activities you've mentioned as being similar in nature?

Oh, did you not mean driving a car or skiing to be similar to a solo sail around the world?

Sane? Sanity is highly overrated in middle class society.

I am not, I am just insisting that it is not your business, while you continually insist that it is.

Percentage of people killed driving a car vs the percentage of people killed sailing around the world. This are that stats that really matter, not the ones you cite. Statistically she is more likely to be killed at home than on that dangerous trek.

really? what percentage of people who sail solo around the world get into trouble?

--

outta here

ltr

D

I really don't know. You are the one who insists it is dangerous, you tell me. I can prove driving a car is dangerous if you want me to.

Let me see if I understand this correctly. The girl's brother made this same trip successfully? If that's the case, I'm not sure how that is supposed to make a point about how she should NOT have attempted it.

Me either, but they keep mentioning it.

Let me see if I understand this correctly. The girl's brother made this same trip successfully? If that's the case, I'm not sure how that is supposed to make a point about how she should NOT have attempted it.

It makes a point that these parents are stupid. If the brother jumped off a skyscraper and survived, would they let the daughter give it a try?

BASE jumping is illegal. I would think that the parents are teaching thier children to be responsible, law abiding, citizens. Unless you can point to something that says this is illegal the comparison escapes me.

Can you please point to anything that justifies your contention that the family expects taxpayers to pay for the rescue? Have they demanded that the US Navy drop everything and find their daughter? Or even the Australian Coast Guard?

Yet you keep talking about upper class entitlement, that sounds like envy to me. Or liberal brainwashing. Take your pick.
envy? naw, life experience. I've traveled in many circles and have been exposed to lots. Let us just say, I had a unique outlook on America at an early age brought about by my exposure to places outside my neighborhood.

I grew up on the border, and routinely traveled to a Mexico. I have also traveled to a few other countries. The fact that you managed to travel around and have a unique view of this country means nothing to me. The truth is that everyone has a unique view of this country, no matter how extensive, or limited, their travels. I must assume that the problem with you is liberal brainwashing from your education, and the guilt that liberals love to instil in everyone because not everyone goes to college. Perhaps you will grow out of it in a few more years, though I doubt it, you have a degree in history, and probably work in an academic setting, and not the real world.

wrong on so many counts, most of today's gradiates would need a calculator to tally-hoe it all up. that 'new math' shit, ya no?

I am not, I am just insisting that it is not your business, while you continually insist that it is.

Percentage of people killed driving a car vs the percentage of people killed sailing around the world. This are that stats that really matter, not the ones you cite. Statistically she is more likely to be killed at home than on that dangerous trek.

really? what percentage of people who sail solo around the world get into trouble?

--

outta here

ltr

D

I really don't know. You are the one who insists it is dangerous, you tell me. I can prove driving a car is dangerous if you want me to.

Driving a car is an every day task for millions of Americans. Relatively safe compared to many of life's tasks.

[youtube]6R6OtU3cZSM[/youtube]

know what the fuck you are talking about before you start comparing apples and nukes

[youtube]4wzGsMSimWQ[/youtube]

January 07, 2007 — Remarkable footage found on the wrecked boat Little Murka, washed up on the West Coast of Ireland. Taken in the North Atlantic during the worst hurricane on record in 2005. Dom Mee was the solo explorer.

Al Seib / Los Angeles Times
Rescuers are 2 days away from teen sailor
Boats won't reach Abby Sunderland for almost two days, but brother is optimistic

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So the parents of a young man who did this before allow their 16 year old daughter to do it. Why? Is it for USA pride? Who will it benefit? It is extremely dangerous as a solo trip.

Who do the parents from Thousand Oaks, CA. expect to pay for all the resources in tight times? Its sad. I hope the child, yes child, is okay, but her parents should be held accountable for some things.

Or do you disagree?

There is no law banning one from doing what this girl is doing. Nor is there a law banning others from doing it. Your contention otherwise is ludicrous. You think she should have been stopped. You think we have no freedom except what YOU would grant us. Usual leftoid thinking.

There is no law banning one from doing what this girl is doing. Nor is there a law banning others from doing it. Your contention otherwise is ludicrous. You think she should have been stopped. You think we have no freedom except what YOU would grant us. Usual leftoid thinking.
yet another wingnut winning an argument with himself? what is this a Baker's Dozen in the last 24 hours? :cuckoo:

no one mentioned any laws banning anyone from anything. there was NO contention for you to challenge, until you just made one up. Freedom is not free. Now go back to winning arguments with yourself. class is dismissed.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/current-events/120736-15-year-old-sailor-girl-found-alive.html

Once again, I ask. When did we become a nation of fucking retards who think that just having the right to do something is enough of a reason to do it?

Seriously if you are so fucking retarded that you think it is ok for a 16 y/o girl to go on a solo sail around the world and expect valuable government resources to rescue her when the inevitable happens why don't you do the rest of us a favor and never procreate

Once again, I ask. When did we become a nation of fucking retards who think that just having the right to do something is enough of a reason to do it?

Seriously if you are so fucking retarded that you think it is ok for a 16 y/o girl to go on a solo sail around the world and expect valuable government resources to rescue her when the inevitable happens why don't you do the rest of us a favor and never procreate

:clap2:

. . . :lol: . . .

Your house, your rules. The entire world is not ruled by you though.

BINGO and you just felt right into the very thing you definitely didn't want to. Who "owns" the Coast Guard which is now searching for this child?

The child was sent out on an extremely dangerous stunt with the expectation, the class sense of entitlement, that the world will be there if little Jane gets into danger.

When poor Mexicans cross a border or refugees flee nations in strife, they do so knowing very few people will come to their rescue or even care. and many defending this idiot and selfish family would say people who die fleeing poverty deserve the results of the risks they take

From several of your posts that I've read now you keep talking about 'entitlement' and rich versus poor. It seems that's basically what this is about to you. Her family is affluent enough to afford for her to take on a trip like this and you begrudge it. I guess the coast guard shouldn't have to worry about poor Cuban refugees stuck out on the ocean on a raft either then? I mean they knowingly pulled a stupid stunt and put themselves in danger, right? Or is it because they are poor they deserve help and assitance and because this girl and her family are well off, they don't?

If it was me, I'd ask for a million dollar bond and we'll refund whatever is left over after we save your little brat.

all the white posters here with that sense of middle class/upper middle class entitlement, ignore the history. This girls brother did the same thing a few years ago, He even spoke about how dangerous it was. Professional sailors in races are lost every year while sailing solo. This is a 16 year old child. Oh she is equipped with lots of communication toys. They just conveniently glossed over how nasty mother nature can be, and how costly it would be for societies already struggling with financial costs of everything from schools to basic services---if anything likely to happen, happened.

Is that how your mind works? Pathetic.

BINGO and you just felt right into the very thing you definitely didn't want to. Who "owns" the Coast Guard which is now searching for this child?

The child was sent out on an extremely dangerous stunt with the expectation, the class sense of entitlement, that the world will be there if little Jane gets into danger.

When poor Mexicans cross a border or refugees flee nations in strife, they do so knowing very few people will come to their rescue or even care. and many defending this idiot and selfish family would say people who die fleeing poverty deserve the results of the risks they take

From several of your posts that I've read now you keep talking about 'entitlement' and rich versus poor. It seems that's basically what this is about to you. Her family is affluent enough to afford for her to take on a trip like this and you begrudge it. I guess the coast guard shouldn't have to worry about poor Cuban refugees stuck out on the ocean on a raft either then? I mean they knowingly pulled a stupid stunt and put themselves in danger, right? Or is it because they are poor they deserve help and assitance and because this girl and her family are well off, they don't?

You really think that if a Cuban called the Coast Guard and said hey help me my family was on a raft headed for Miami and they got blown to sea that the Coast Guard would send a single sailboat out to look for them? :lol:

wrong yet again? at least you're consistent.

If you read the thread instead of kneejerk replying you'd see this red herring of police/fire response was already addressed.

Extraordinary risks and with minors involved and huge costs worldwide? It is mow the business of more than that family.

I haven't condemned the family...although I think the parents are right up there with the balloon boy people. Their actions are selfish and prime examples of middle class/upper middle class entitlement.

If the world chooses to act in an attempt to save someone, that is a choice we make. the only sensible approach, using your logic, is to require everyone who wants to participate in any activity that could involve resources like this is to pay a deposit in advance. Believe it or not, they already do that, it is called taxes. Would you prefer that we just let everyone die if they are in danger, because that is the only other option we have.

The balloon boy people lied to authorities, thus diverting resources that should have been used to deal with real work. Not the same at all. The truth does come out though, you are resentful because these people have money. Class envy is so much an attribute of the Left that I am not surprised to see it, yet it always amazes me that people try to defend it.

Bingo! :clap2:

Forum List

Back