Rescuers are 2 days away from teen sailor: At What Cost?

I am knowledgeable and opinionated, not misguided. In the US it is a law that children be educated at/to a minimum standard. Basic health care is also demanded. US states all have a version of Children's Services that look out for the child's interests over those of sicko parents,

How many children meet that minimum standard, whatever it is? The US ranks at the bottom in academic standards, and the more money the government spends the lower our standings go. there are numerous ways to opt out of vaccinations, even if your child goes to public school, all of them legal. Unless the state can prove that the parents are an active danger to their children they have to stay out of that families business.

My POV is that selfishness that costs everyone, on the part of the entitled upper middle classes of this world needs to stop.

I know, you resent the fact that other people have money. Society doesn't usually count money though, they even help poor people.

I resent no one their money. I never judged a friend by how much or little they had and I've known quite a few people who span the whole spectrum. I have always put very little value on monetary status or gain. I was born poor, I'll die poor, and have enjoyed my life as much as most other men will have enjoyed theirs.

see?

:cool:

Envy? No, that would be arguing to be just as entitled. It would be like middle class whites demanding special treatment that minorities get -- like being able to call black men 'niggar' while ignoring being a minority is no walk in the park in American society.

How on earth do you go from a girl in a boat 1/2 way around the world to this?

Good GAWD, this started out so nicely
:eusa_eh:

Al Seib / Los Angeles Times
Rescuers are 2 days away from teen sailor
Boats won't reach Abby Sunderland for almost two days, but brother is optimistic

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So the parents of a young man who did this before allow their 16 year old daughter to do it. Why? Is it for USA pride? Who will it benefit? It is extremely dangerous as a solo trip.

Who do the parents from Thousand Oaks, CA. expect to pay for all the resources in tight times? Its sad. I hope the child, yes child, is okay, but her parents should be held accountable for some things.

Or do you disagree?

At first light, the Australian Coast Guard also intends to fly over the area, he said.

The family was huddled inside the house in a room equipped with a navigation station and computers. His parents were on the phone with the Coast Guard. Zac Sunderland was making calls to Mauritius, an island off the coast of Africa, to start an emergency rescue effort from there. Zac Sunderland said he has a personal relationship with people there because he stopped there during his solo sail around the world when he was 17.

Two ships are about 400 miles – and two days – away from her location.

Los Angeles sector Coast Guard Lt. Ana Thorsson said Sunderland's emergency beacon signal was picked up by her agency in Northern California. Sunderland was about 2,000 miles southwest of Australia.

A voluntary international merchant ship rescue network, known as AMVER, is expected to join the search effort, Thorsson said.

WTF ???

Were you baitnig us so you get to here with it?

Just saying.....

your white middle class sensibilities and insecurities are showing :eusa_whistle:

You are belittling the extreme nature of this trek, this stunt.

Percentage of the world or even the US population that attempts a solo sail around the world, compared to the percentage of said population to any activities you've mentioned as being similar in nature?

Oh, did you not mean driving a car or skiing to be similar to a solo sail around the world?

Sane? Sanity is highly overrated in middle class society.

I am not, I am just insisting that it is not your business, while you continually insist that it is.

Percentage of people killed driving a car vs the percentage of people killed sailing around the world. This are that stats that really matter, not the ones you cite. Statistically she is more likely to be killed at home than on that dangerous trek.

I am knowledgeable and opinionated, not misguided. In the US it is a law that children be educated at/to a minimum standard. Basic health care is also demanded. US states all have a version of Children's Services that look out for the child's interests over those of sicko parents,

How many children meet that minimum standard, whatever it is? The US ranks at the bottom in academic standards, and the more money the government spends the lower our standings go. there are numerous ways to opt out of vaccinations, even if your child goes to public school, all of them legal. Unless the state can prove that the parents are an active danger to their children they have to stay out of that families business.

We are talking about numbers now? Which ones? From what time period? When the laws were initially enacted? Why do you think laws were passed for child welfare in the first place?

--

I'm outta here tonight

ltr

D

your white middle class sensibilities and insecurities are showing :eusa_whistle:

bart-02.gif

My POV is that selfishness that costs everyone, on the part of the entitled upper middle classes of this world needs to stop.

I know, you resent the fact that other people have money. Society doesn't usually count money though, they even help poor people.

I resent no one their money. I never judged a friend by how much or little they had and I've known quite a few people who span the whole spectrum. I have always put very little value on monetary status or gain. I was born poor, I'll die poor, and have enjoyed my life as much as most other men will have enjoyed theirs.

see?

Yet you keep talking about upper class entitlement, that sounds like envy to me. Or liberal brainwashing. Take your pick.

Percentage of the world or even the US population that attempts a solo sail around the world, compared to the percentage of said population to any activities you've mentioned as being similar in nature?

Oh, did you not mean driving a car or skiing to be similar to a solo sail around the world?

I am not, I am just insisting that it is not your business, while you continually insist that it is.

Percentage of people killed driving a car vs the percentage of people killed sailing around the world. This are that stats that really matter, not the ones you cite. Statistically she is more likely to be killed at home than on that dangerous trek.

really? what percentage of people who sail solo around the world get into trouble?

--

outta here

ltr

D

So it comes down to class envy?

Thats kind of what I thought
. :rolleyes:

Envy? No, that would be arguing to be just as entitled. It would be like middle class whites demanding special treatment that minorities get -- like being able to call black men 'niggar' while ignoring being a minority is no walk in the park in American society.

We're not supposed to call ******* *******? Hmm that would explain the odd look I get. Honestly, on that point, fuck them if they don't wanna be called *******, stop calling yourselves *******.

Sorry for the derail.

see?

Yet you keep talking about upper class entitlement, that sounds like envy to me. Or liberal brainwashing. Take your pick.
envy? naw, life experience. I've traveled in many circles and have been exposed to lots. Let us just say, I had a unique outlook on America at an early age brought about by my exposure to places outside my neighborhood.

WHo cares? Now you're justifying. Guess what? If you get in automobile accident and require an ambulance, they bill you for that shit.

So it comes down to class envy?

Thats kind of what I thought
. :rolleyes:

We're not supposed to call ******* *******? Hmm that would explain the odd look I get. Honestly, on that point, fuck them if they don't wanna be called *******, stop calling yourselves *******.

Sorry for the derail.

before I depart: more than a few here have complained about blacks being able to say 'niggar' as if they, the whites and others were denied some special privilege.

I have encouraged them to 'go for it' and become rebels. Not one has stood up and declared themselves equal to the black man.

:lol:

Sorry for the derail.

before I depart: more than a few here have complained about blacks being able to say 'niggar' as if they, the whites and others were denied some special privilege.

I have encouraged them to 'go for it' and become rebels. Not one has stood up and declared themselves equal to the black man.

:lol:

I will and I have. I have a Guard buddy who is straight thug life, he calls every black person his ******, so the first time I really met him I was like "you ******, what's up?" He was shocked, got angry, then laughed and said "you either one bad ass white guy or one crazy white guy, either way I aint fuckin wif u" that was 10 years ago, we're still friends and I'm honky and he's my ******.

As I told him, if it was such an insulting word, they wouldn't be callign each other it, I have never, for example, heard a Jew walk up to another Jew and just yell out "My **** how's it going?"

Let me see if I understand this correctly. The girl's brother made this same trip successfully? If that's the case, I'm not sure how that is supposed to make a point about how she should NOT have attempted it.

It makes a point that these parents are stupid. If the brother jumped off a skyscraper and survived, would they let the daughter give it a try?

Let me see if I understand this correctly. The girl's brother made this same trip successfully? If that's the case, I'm not sure how that is supposed to make a point about how she should NOT have attempted it.

The family already expected danger from a stunt of one child, only to repeat it. They have twice allowed their children to indulge themselves in extraordinary acts of danger that when trouble happens will demand an international aid response -- for selfish motives that benefit no one but the child.

cool eh?

what are the dangers of solos sailing around the world on the routes these kids took? so they can create some sort of world record? who benefits?

Ask Olympians that question.

However expecting or demanding someone to come save your ass is more then they should expect.

Boats won't reach Abby Sunderland for almost two days, but brother is optimistic

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So the parents of a young man who did this before allow their 16 year old daughter to do it. Why? Is it for USA pride? Who will it benefit? It is extremely dangerous as a solo trip.

Who do the parents from Thousand Oaks, CA. expect to pay for all the resources in tight times? Its sad. I hope the child, yes child, is okay, but her parents should be held accountable for some things.

Or do you disagree?

At first light, the Australian Coast Guard also intends to fly over the area, he said.

The family was huddled inside the house in a room equipped with a navigation station and computers. His parents were on the phone with the Coast Guard. Zac Sunderland was making calls to Mauritius, an island off the coast of Africa, to start an emergency rescue effort from there. Zac Sunderland said he has a personal relationship with people there because he stopped there during his solo sail around the world when he was 17.

Los Angeles sector Coast Guard Lt. Ana Thorsson said Sunderland's emergency beacon signal was picked up by her agency in Northern California. Sunderland was about 2,000 miles southwest of Australia.

A voluntary international merchant ship rescue network, known as AMVER, is expected to join the search effort, Thorsson said.

So you are opposed to freedom, thanks for proving you are a douche bag.

Or do you disagree?

So you are opposed to freedom, thanks for proving you are a douche bag.

WTF does any of this have to do with freedom? You must watch or listen to an awful lot FOX programming.

Forum List

Back