Rescuers are 2 days away from teen sailor: At What Cost?

Quantam is dead in the water, because he already admitted that if I own something I have the right to dictate how it is used. We OWN the Coast Guard, so logically we have the right to decide on things that might affect it.

You do not own the Coast Guard any more than you own the police department. They are there to protect everyone, and the men and women in the Coast Guard would sneer at you for even hinting that they are your slaves.

When poor Mexicans cross a border or refugees flee nations in strife, they do so knowing very few people will come to their rescue or even care. and many defending this idiot and selfish family would say people who die fleeing poverty deserve the results of the risks they take

No one cares? I thought you cared, and I know a lot of people who aid them without question. Do you want a list so you can force other people to pay more taxes to help them rather than doing it yourself?

They should be charged because they are numb skulls who knowingly allowed a CHILD to participate in a dangerous activity. If they had given this CHILD a beer they would have been charged with endangering the welfare of a minor, instead they allowed her to do something which is beyond dangerous and in fact most seasoned sailors don't attempt, let al one a CHILD. Therefor , they should be CHARGED.

Oh, and I don't want to hear anymore bullshit about how the CHILD wanted to do this. She is 16, in MOST areas she's not of legal age to consent to sex, she surely shouldn't be able to consent to heading out to sea by herself.

A 16 year old girl doesn't attempt to sail around the world unless she is incredibly experienced and an expert sailor. This girl is likely a more experienced boater than 99% of adults. 16 may legally be a child, but that doesn't mean she didn't posses the maturity to undertake this.

Should the parents of the 13 year old in California be charged with child neglect for allowing him to climb Mt Everest? That was just as dangerous.

99% of adults do not contemplate sailing solo around the world.

another one who wins arguments with himself? the shit hole is getting crowded.

the 13 year old climbing Mt. Everest was covered by sponsors and the people who license access to Mt. Everest are making money off the climbs through tourism etc.

If it was me, I'd ask for a million dollar bond and we'll refund whatever is left over after we save your little brat.

all the white posters here with that sense of middle class/upper middle class entitlement, ignore the history. This girls brother did the same thing a few years ago, He even spoke about how dangerous it was. Professional sailors in races are lost every year while sailing solo. This is a 16 year old child. Oh she is equipped with lots of communication toys. They just conveniently glossed over how nasty mother nature can be, and how costly it would be for societies already struggling with financial costs of everything from schools to basic services---if anything likely to happen, happened.

By all means, lets ban everything dangerous, or scary, or anything that makes you piss your pants.

And they were instilling independence and self respect in their child. Are we now going to punish parents for instilling qualities that benefit society as a whole?

Looks like that independence and self-respect instill effort was a major parental/child FAIL! Must be an easier way to do that, don't you think?

When poor Mexicans cross a border or refugees flee nations in strife, they do so knowing very few people will come to their rescue or even care. and many defending this idiot and selfish family would say people who die fleeing poverty deserve the results of the risks they take

No one cares? I thought you cared, and I know a lot of people who aid them without question. Do you want a list so you can force other people to pay more taxes to help them rather than doing it yourself?

No one cares? ???? What?

respond to what I actually write, not what some secret voice is whispering to you.

When their actions are out of the norm and their actions result in national resources being used for personal pursuits -- it becomes the business of everyone else. and the resources being used are international. so their daughter could sail around the world solo?

You are worried about how much it is going to cost India?

I'm not worried. I'm simply making observations based on principles. See? You are projecting again and it shows.

:eusa_whistle:

No, I am trying to understand your "enlightened" pov.

Yeah, because they probably aren't skilled enough. That's my whole point. This girl, despite her young age, and her family evidently felt she had the expertise to do it. Accidents and mistakes still happen, even to the best experts.

the shit hole is getting crowded.

I'm sure you're an expert on that hole, Barney.

If it was me, I'd ask for a million dollar bond and we'll refund whatever is left over after we save your little brat.

all the white posters here with that sense of middle class/upper middle class entitlement, ignore the history. This girls brother did the same thing a few years ago, He even spoke about how dangerous it was. Professional sailors in races are lost every year while sailing solo. This is a 16 year old child. Oh she is equipped with lots of communication toys. They just conveniently glossed over how nasty mother nature can be, and how costly it would be for societies already struggling with financial costs of everything from schools to basic services---if anything likely to happen, happened.

By all means, lets ban everything dangerous, or scary, or anything that makes you piss your pants.

you don't get IT. I am not against doing dangerous things. I've done them. I did not do them expecting ahead of time that teh world would have to come to my rescue. I did not do them in order to set a selfish record that nobody benefits from but one person.

very little scares me. you keep projecting your outlook on how you view posting habits. It seems you're a sad little creature.

Society demands children be vaccinated and sent to primary schools/educated to minimal standard. Society demands children cannot be beaten as they used to be as a way of instilling discipline or whatever. When society has an overriding stake in how children are being raised that trumps any selfishness that a family may possess.

I did not say anyone was actively harming a child. You have won yet another argument with yourself. :clap2:

keep it up. I'll send your name in to that Genius Grant Foundation.

Wow, are you misguided or what? Society has a lot of concerns in the areas you mentioned, but last time I looked it cannot force parents to bow to its demands to meet them. At least not in the US.

Yeah, because they probably aren't skilled enough. That's my whole point. This girl, despite her young age, and her family evidently felt she had the expertise to do it. Accidents and mistakes still happen, even to the best experts.

the shit hole is getting crowded.

I'm sure you're an expert on that hole, Barney.

I am an expert on that hole. I was told we grew up near each other. years apart, but teh world is a small place :eusa_whistle:

I know the child is skilled. I also know that more skilled adults consider the trek silly and dangerous. Her brother did it a few years ago.

And they were instilling independence and self respect in their child. Are we now going to punish parents for instilling qualities that benefit society as a whole?

Looks like that independence and self-respect instill effort was a major parental/child FAIL! Must be an easier way to do that, don't you think?

How did it fail? That young woman was self confidant enough to try to do something that scares the piss out of me, and probably you. i think that counts as a success.

Society demands children be vaccinated and sent to primary schools/educated to minimal standard. Society demands children cannot be beaten as they used to be as a way of instilling discipline or whatever. When society has an overriding stake in how children are being raised that trumps any selfishness that a family may possess.

I did not say anyone was actively harming a child. You have won yet another argument with yourself. :clap2:

keep it up. I'll send your name in to that Genius Grant Foundation.

Wow, are you misguided or what? Society has a lot of concerns in the areas you mentioned, but last time I looked it cannot force parents to bow to its demands to meet them. At least not in the US.

I am knowledgeable and opinionated, not misguided. In the US it is a law that children be educated at/to a minimum standard. Basic health care is also demanded. US states all have a version of Children's Services that look out for the child's interests over those of sicko parents,

So it comes down to class envy?

Thats kind of what I thought
. :rolleyes:

Envy? No, that would be arguing to be just as entitled. It would be like middle class whites demanding special treatment that minorities get -- like being able to call black men 'niggar' while ignoring being a minority is no walk in the park in American society.

you don't get IT. I am not against doing dangerous things. I've done them. I did not do them expecting ahead of time that teh world would have to come to my rescue. I did not do them in order to set a selfish record that nobody benefits from but one person.

very little scares me. you keep projecting your outlook on how you view posting habits. It seems you're a sad little creature.

I am sorry, I didn't know this girl set out to deliberately run into trouble and get help. That changes everything.

Newsflash, if, while doing those dangerous things, you got in trouble, the world would not care if you did not expect help, it would help. That is what makes people good and not evil. You do understand that, don't you? Even if you leave specific instructions otherwise, people help. That is because people care, like you profess to.

I apologize for thinking things scare you. I was assuming you are a sane human being, my mistake.

Last edited:
My POV is that selfishness that costs everyone, on the part of the entitled upper middle classes of this world needs to stop.

I know, you resent the fact that other people have money. Society doesn't usually count money though, they even help poor people.

Envy? No, that would be arguing to be just as entitled. It would be like middle class whites demanding special treatment that minorities get -- like being able to call black men 'niggar' while ignoring being a minority is no walk in the park in American society.

How on earth do you go from a girl in a boat 1/2 way around the world to this?

Good GAWD, this started out so nicely
:eusa_eh:

Al Seib / Los Angeles Times
Rescuers are 2 days away from teen sailor
Boats won't reach Abby Sunderland for almost two days, but brother is optimistic

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So the parents of a young man who did this before allow their 16 year old daughter to do it. Why? Is it for USA pride? Who will it benefit? It is extremely dangerous as a solo trip.

Who do the parents from Thousand Oaks, CA. expect to pay for all the resources in tight times? Its sad. I hope the child, yes child, is okay, but her parents should be held accountable for some things.

Or do you disagree?

At first light, the Australian Coast Guard also intends to fly over the area, he said.

The family was huddled inside the house in a room equipped with a navigation station and computers. His parents were on the phone with the Coast Guard. Zac Sunderland was making calls to Mauritius, an island off the coast of Africa, to start an emergency rescue effort from there. Zac Sunderland said he has a personal relationship with people there because he stopped there during his solo sail around the world when he was 17.

Two ships are about 400 miles – and two days – away from her location.

Los Angeles sector Coast Guard Lt. Ana Thorsson said Sunderland's emergency beacon signal was picked up by her agency in Northern California. Sunderland was about 2,000 miles southwest of Australia.

A voluntary international merchant ship rescue network, known as AMVER, is expected to join the search effort, Thorsson said.

WTF ???

Were you baitnig us so you get to here with it?

Just saying.....

Last edited:

Ia m sorry, I didn't know this girl set out to deliberately run into trouble and get help. That changes everything.

Newsflash, if, while doing those dangerous things, you got in trouble, the world would not care if you did not expect help, it would help. That is what makes people good and not evil. You do understand that, don't you? Even if you leave specific instructions otherwise, people help. That is because people care, like you profess to.

I apologize for thinking things scare you. I was assuming you are a sane human being, my mistake.

You are belittling the extreme nature of this trek, this stunt.

Percentage of the world or even the US population that attempts a solo sail around the world, compared to the percentage of said population to any activities you've mentioned as being similar in nature?

Oh, did you not mean driving a car or skiing to be similar to a solo sail around the world?

Sane? Sanity is highly overrated in middle class society.

Forum List

Back