Rescuers are 2 days away from teen sailor: At What Cost?

Why not bill the parents or hold them accountable in some way for contributing to this stunt? The child is a 16 year old -- a minor.

And they were instilling independence and self respect in their child. Are we now going to punish parents for instilling qualities that benefit society as a whole?

why belittle the extreme nature of this? why ignore the extraordinary risk involved, risks that professional sailors rarely take.

The child should be rescued , then the parents should be charged with endangering the welfare of a minor.

Why should the parents be charged?

the costs. read the thread. it's short.

the extraordinary risks involved and the assumption that society exists to be there for people who do crazy stunts. there is a line to be drawn. read the thread

It is an extraordinary dangerous stunt. This is not like having a child drive a car. Professional sailors do not attempt this solo journey and those who do do not do so lightly.
Those professionals are adults.

This is like having a child test a new plane back in the old days when testing a plane was a very dangerous profession done by very few individuals -- all adults.

It is not your decision to make. That young lady got at least halfway around the world without help, and her brother got all the way around. I know most sailors don't try it, but most sailors do not want to, or have the means. You only know it is dangerous because you have been told it is, but it is a lot safer now than it was a few years ago. Satellite GPS and communication make it a lot easier to find people who get lost, and to communicate with them. Magellan was in a lot more danger than she is, and he made it.

Is this the same fuckwad that was just attacking others for their alleged lack of concern for human life??
Now you're starting a thread whining about how much it might cost to SAVE a life???

:clap2:

Hypocritical Thread of the Day Award!!

black-1.gif

The child should be rescued , then the parents should be charged with endangering the welfare of a minor.

Are parents supposed to stifle their children? Do we charge parents when their children are injured or killed playing sports? Driving a car? Why make a distinction just because the daughter was doing something you consider dangerous? We need less state control and oversight of personal decisions, not more.

Look here, if my sister brings her 5 y/o over to go swimming and expects me to be responsible for keeping her safe if something goes wrong, you better be damn sure my sister understands that I WILL have a say in what my niece does and doesn't do (aka no running on wet cement, etc etc etc.) It's the same principal.

It is an extraordinary dangerous stunt. This is not like having a child drive a car. Professional sailors do not attempt this solo journey and those who do do not do so lightly.

This is like having a child test a new plane back in the old days when testing a plane was a very dangerous profession done by very few individuals -- all adults.

It is not your decision to make. That young lady got at least halfway around the world without help, and her brother got all the way around. I know most sailors don't try it, but most sailors do not want to, or have the means. You only know it is dangerous because you have been told it is, but it is a lot safer now than it was a few years ago. Satellite GPS and communication make it a lot easier to find people who get lost, and to communicate with them. Magellan was in a lot more danger than she is, and he made it.

A lot safer now than a few years ago =/= safe

the volunteer groups exist because of a network. that is good. but the irresponsibility of allowing a child to do this is glaring, and the volunteer groups will mitigate the costs to society -- the hard costs. What happens if another emergency arises in the same area?

Extreme sports and activities by adults cost us. But when people allow their children to inflict this on society they should be held accountable. A minor needs permission to do this kind of stunt

The minor had permission, from her parents. Beyond that, it is none of your business. I will also make a note of your worry about the cost to society of rescues, and tell the fire and police not to respond if you or your family is ever hurt. I think that is very noble of you, and admire you for sticking to your principles.

Why not bill the parents or hold them accountable in some way for contributing to this stunt? The child is a 16 year old -- a minor.

And they were instilling independence and self respect in their child. Are we now going to punish parents for instilling qualities that benefit society as a whole?

why belittle the extreme nature of this? why ignore the extraordinary risk involved, risks that professional sailors rarely take.

I am not, I am just pointing out that it is not your business. Period.

Look here, if my sister brings her 5 y/o over to go swimming and expects me to be responsible for keeping her safe if something goes wrong, you better be damn sure my sister understands that I WILL have a say in what my niece does and doesn't do (aka no running on wet cement, etc etc etc.) It's the same principal.

Your house, your rules. The entire world is not ruled by you though.

It's a lot less dangerous?

It's all relevant. When people do it every day, we'll see. And just because they have more toys to stay in communication does NOT make it safer. It only makes it a bigger burden on societies along the route.

Either we have a say in certain aspects of child raising or we don't, but some types want it both ways -- society has to help out, but no input.

Society has a say in certain aspects of child raising and always has, because it has an overriding interest.

Is this the same fuckwad that was just attacking others for their alleged lack of concern for human life??
Now you're starting a thread whining about how much it might cost to SAVE a life???

[IMGtp://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv219/Midnightsun59/black-1.gif[/IMG]

The concern for human life is not an issue. Wake up.

The issue is the irresponsible nature and the expectations that society is there to pick up after extraordinary stunts that benefit NO ONE but the individual.

The record trying to be set is friggin' ridiculous.

read the thread before you make a bigger ass of yourself than usual

the volunteer groups exist because of a network. that is good. but the irresponsibility of allowing a child to do this is glaring, and the volunteer groups will mitigate the costs to society -- the hard costs. What happens if another emergency arises in the same area?

Extreme sports and activities by adults cost us. But when people allow their children to inflict this on society they should be held accountable. A minor needs permission to do this kind of stunt

The minor had permission, from her parents. Beyond that, it is none of your business. I will also make a note of your worry about the cost to society of rescues, and tell the fire and police not to respond if you or your family is ever hurt. I think that is very noble of you, and admire you for sticking to your principles.
wrong yet again? at least you're consistent.

If you read the thread instead of kneejerk replying you'd see this red herring of police/fire response was already addressed.

Extraordinary risks and with minors involved and huge costs worldwide? It is mow the business of more than that family.

I haven't condemned the family...although I think the parents are right up there with the balloon boy people. Their actions are selfish and prime examples of middle class/upper middle class entitlement.

BINGO and you just felt right into the very thing you definitely didn't want to. Who "owns" the Coast Guard which is now searching for this child?

When their actions are out of the norm and their actions result in national resources being used for personal pursuits -- it becomes the business of everyone else. and the resources being used are international. so their daughter could sail around the world solo?

When their actions are out of the norm and their actions result in national resources being used for personal pursuits -- it becomes the business of everyone else. and the resources being used are international. so their daughter could sail around the world solo?

Quantam is dead in the water, because he already admitted that if I own something I have the right to dictate how it is used. We OWN the Coast Guard, so logically we have the right to decide on things that might affect it.

[IMGtp://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv219/Midnightsun59/black-1.gif[/IMG]

The concern for human life is not an issue. Wake up.

The issue is the irresponsible nature and the expectations that society is there to pick up after extraordinary stunts that benefit NO ONE but the individual.

The record trying to be set is friggin' ridiculous.

read the thread before you make a bigger ass of yourself than usual
Bullshit, and you know it.

You got mad because other members responded to the death of a teenager with less compassion than you thought they should have.

Then you step over here and bitch about the time, money, and resources being spent to SAVE the life of a teenager.

I repeat

black-1.gif

BINGO and you just felt right into the very thing you definitely didn't want to. Who "owns" the Coast Guard which is now searching for this child?

The child was sent out on an extremely dangerous stunt with the expectation, the class sense of entitlement, that the world will be there if little Jane gets into danger.

When poor Mexicans cross a border or refugees flee nations in strife, they do so knowing very few people will come to their rescue or even care. and many defending this idiot and selfish family would say people who die fleeing poverty deserve the results of the risks they take

Last edited:

Quantam is dead in the water, because he already admitted that if I own something I have the right to dictate how it is used. We OWN the Coast Guard, so logically we have the right to decide on things that might affect it.

yep

Forum List

Back