Republicans want to teach blacks how to be productive human beings.

Listening to Newt talk about wanting to be invited to the NAACP to "teach" African Americans how they should live.

Listening to Rick Santorum talk about how he wants to teach black people.

Then there's the Ron Paul "newsletters".

Considering the Republican Party are 90% white. Considering that about 60% of all those receiving food stamps are white. Considering that half of food stamp recipients are children who can't work. Republicans might want to find other people to teach besides black Americans. Not sure sending children to the "work house" is the answer.

Republicans might consider some "alternatives". What might some of those be?
“And so I’m prepared if the NAACP invites me, I’ll go to their convention and talk about why the African American community should demand paychecks and not be satisfied with food stamps,”

"Hey guys, you don't need food stamps, just make more money!"

Listening to Newt talk about wanting to be invited to the NAACP to "teach" African Americans how they should live.

Considering the Republican Party are 90% white. Considering that about 60% of all those receiving food stamps are white. Considering that half of food stamp recipients are children who can't work. Republicans might want to find other people to teach besides black Americans. Not sure sending children to the "work house" is the answer.

“And so I’m prepared if the NAACP invites me, I’ll go to their convention and talk about why the African American community should demand paychecks and not be satisfied with food stamps,”

it's called changing your station in your own life and government getting the Hell out of the way. it's called work.

Created dependency. OWS is one of many results.

Yep. I can see where "Job training, college scholarships, job placement opportunities, low cost childcare, small business loans" would create dependency. :cuckoo:

And where the hell did this OWS coment come from? :cool:

For the past thirty plus years I have worked with many black engineers, scientists, military officers, soldiers and managers who were succeeding in life. Almost all came from lower middle class or poor backgrounds. Very, very few came from what could remotely be considered a wealthy background. They could all point to some point where either their parents or grandparents had relied on government assistance or relied on government programs that provided job training or assistance in employment opportunities.

Government programs do help millions of Americans of all backgrounds escape poverty. Just because some are unable to break the cycle of poverty is no reason to assume that none are

Hmmm.....I wonder why the GOP opposes programs designed to do that?

And why Daveman says that it's not good enough?

OR....Why the wingnuts say that these "Liberal Programs" are designed to keep poor people on welfare?

it's called changing your station in your own life and government getting the Hell out of the way. it's called work.

Ya....those damn pesky worker safety laws, child labor laws, environmental laws, minimum wage laws and workers comp laws should be done away with. We can rely on corporations to ALWAYS do what's right. :D

Good points. $7.50 an hour should not be considered a "job" A "job" pays ALL the bills and feeds the family. $7.50 an hour is comical. Good for summer work for kids mind you, but no adult should be subjected to this type of usage.

$7.50/hour x 8 hours/day x 5 days/week x 52 weeks/year = $15,600.00 annual gross income if no overtime.

Granted, it kinda sucks, but it beats the snot out of no income at all.

The Census Bureau's poverty thresholds for 2010:

U.S. Census Bureau Poverty Thresholds, 2010
Size of Family Unit Poverty Threshold
One person (unrelated individual) $11,139
Under 65 years 11,344
65 years and over 10,458
Two people 14,218
Source: U.S. Census Bureau, Weighted Average Poverty Thresholds, 2010, released in September 2011. Preliminary estimates for 2010 were released January 14, 2011.

What are Poverty Thresholds and Poverty Guidelines?

Good points. $7.50 an hour should not be considered a "job" A "job" pays ALL the bills and feeds the family. $7.50 an hour is comical. Good for summer work for kids mind you, but no adult should be subjected to this type of usage.

$7.50/hour x 8 hours/day x 5 days/week x 52 weeks/year = $15,600.00 annual gross income if no overtime.

Under 65 years 11,344
65 years and over 10,458
Two people 14,218
Source: U.S. Census Bureau, Weighted Average Poverty Thresholds, 2010, released in September 2011. Preliminary estimates for 2010 were released January 14, 2011.

$7.50 an hour? That's outrageous!! We should lower it to $5 an hour (or do away with minimum wage all together) and then we'll REALLY see some job creation going on!!

Under 65 years 11,344
65 years and over 10,458
Two people 14,218

$7.50 an hour? That's outrageous!! We should lower it to $5 an hour (or do away with minimum wage all together) and then we'll REALLY see some job creation going on!!

That debate is actually bigger than a limp effort at sardonic posting.

Under 65 years 11,344
65 years and over 10,458
Two people 14,218

You can survive on that income but you cannot break out of poverty. A worker needs to not only pay for his own survival but be able to support the survival of his families. Middle class families can provide their children a start in life....poor families cannot

Hmmmm...... It seems I hit a sore spot.

It just seems like you can't ever mention blacks w/o also mentioning welfare.

Just saying.

Amazing how he talks about blacks and welfare on a thread discussing blacks and welfare. It seriously must be because he is racist and not because he is addressing the topic of the thread. And you are clearly not trying to distract from real discussions you can answer by accusing him of racism.

So what would you propose be done to get blacks and other Americans off welfare? Or do you want them off welfare?

First off NOBODY want to be on welfare or wants others on welfare. Those are ignorant RW myths.

Second, of all these are lines Daveman have spouted ever since I have been on this board and this is not the first time we've been down this road.

Third, the topic of this thread and Daveman's reaction to it IS ground in racism.

Assuming blacks WANT to be on welfare IS racist my friend. And assuming you have the answers that African Americans are craving for puts YOU in a "benevolent postion" to be their savior. And by saying that they need you to provide answers you are also assuming they're too ignorant as a group to figure anything out themselves.

First off NOBODY want to be on welfare

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3e41prVDv4]15 Kid Welfare Mom: "Somebody Owes Me" - YouTube[/ame]

Are you sure?

Under 65 years 11,344
65 years and over 10,458
Two people 14,218

You can survive on that income but you cannot break out of poverty. A worker needs to not only pay for his own survival but be able to support the survival of his families. Middle class families can provide their children a start in life....poor families cannot

Thanks for the newsflash, Captain Obvious.

The poverty lines move along with the number of folks trying to live off the family income.

The issue is not whether being poor sucks. Being poor does suck.

The issue remains WHAT method should a society undertake to address the problems of the less affluent or the poor?

The usual lib panacea ("redistribute 'the' wealth") is simply not a viable answer.

Thanks for the newsflash, Captain Obvious.

The poverty lines move along with the number of folks trying to live off the family income.

The issue is not whether being poor sucks. Being poor does suck.

The issue remains WHAT method should a society undertake to address the problems of the less affluent or the poor?

The usual lib panacea ("redistribute 'the' wealth") is simply not a viable answer.

Taking money from the wealthy and giving it to the poor is not the answer

Taking money from the wealthy to pay for jobs training, scholarships, small business loans will expand the middle class and opportunities to escape poverty

Yep. I can see where "Job training, college scholarships, job placement opportunities, low cost childcare, small business loans" would create dependency. :cuckoo:

And where the hell did this OWS coment come from? :cool:

For the past thirty plus years I have worked with many black engineers, scientists, military officers, soldiers and managers who were succeeding in life. Almost all came from lower middle class or poor backgrounds. Very, very few came from what could remotely be considered a wealthy background. They could all point to some point where either their parents or grandparents had relied on government assistance or relied on government programs that provided job training or assistance in employment opportunities.

Government programs do help millions of Americans of all backgrounds escape poverty. Just because some are unable to break the cycle of poverty is no reason to assume that none are

OR....Why the wingnuts say that these "Liberal Programs" are designed to keep poor people on welfare?

When you see third generation welfare recipients, you have to suspect the programs are to blame.
Unless you think it's an accident? A coincidence?

When you see third generation welfare recipients, you have to suspect the programs are to blame.
'Safety net' has become a hammock. The government hasn't done enough to get them off of it, and the recipients have become ensconced to the point they have become lazy.

'Safety net' has become a hammock. The government hasn't done enough to get them off of it, and the recipients have become ensconced to the point they have become lazy.

Would you want to live in that hammock?

I wouldn't

Would you want to live in that hammock?

I wouldn't

And yet they do. Why?

You mean you don't know that Dems have been claiming the GOP is racist for decades?

Really?

It's really hard for you to admit you have nothing. Got a link showing lying about republican racism has changed blacks voting habits?
Actually, no I don't. But I do have a link showing how the left has been lying about the Southern Strategy for years.

A myth about conservatism is circulating in academia and journalism and has spread to the 2004 presidential campaign. It goes something like this: the Republican Party assembled a national majority by winning over Southern white voters; Southern white voters are racist; therefore, the GOP is racist. Sometimes the conclusion is softened, and Republicans are convicted merely of base opportunism: the GOP is the party that became willing to pander to racists. Either way, today's Republican Party—and by extension the conservative movement at its heart—supposedly has revealed something terrible about itself.

--​

Your link is from a blog that has a big picture of Ghost Rider on the front. I know you FEEL that lies are responsible and this blog writer FEELS the same way but where is your proof?

Second. The bolded part is not what the southern strategy was about at all. So again, you come to the wrong conclusions because you have the wrong info to start off with.

Though the "Solid South" had been a longtime Democratic Party stronghold due to the Democratic Party's defense of slavery prior to the American Civil War and segregation for a century thereafter, many white Southern Democrats stopped supporting the party following the civil rights plank of the Democratic campaign in 1948 (triggering the Dixicrats), the African-American Civil Rights Movement, the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and Voting Rights Act of 1965, and desegregation.

The strategy was first adopted under future Republican President Richard Nixon in the late 1960s.[1] The strategy was successful in some regards. It contributed to the electoral realignment of Southern states to the Republican Party, but at the expense of losing more than 90 percent of black voters to the Democratic Party. As the 20th century came to a close, the Republican Party began trying to appeal again to black voters, though with little success.[

Thats the Southern Strategy. It happened and is the reason why Republicans cant gain much popularity with Blacks. You arguement is emotional therefore unprovable.​

Last edited:

Oh, Bad parenting and greed is off the table?

Oh, Bad parenting and greed is off the table?

Are they?

Forum List

Back