Republicans prefer private sector unemployment over public employment

The private sector is shedding jobs by the thousands every day. But Republicans would rather have people be unemployed by the private sector than employed by the public sector. (Rep. Rodgers insisted that every single job that the economic recovery plan creates be in the private sector.)

Only the federal government has the resources to stave off the disaster that will surely befall us if we let the free market take us further over the cliff.

The Republicans keep reiterating Hooverisms.

Why?

Because they’re ideologically bankrupt.
Republicans Go Back to Hoover in Response to Obama’s Stimulus Bill | The Progressive

Why? What are YOU reiterating? FDR-isms? More nanny-state bailouts? There are jobs out there. It's just those with that "entitled" mentality are "too good" to work them.

Tough times don't last. Tough PEOPLE do. But then, it isn't the tough people whining for Big Brother to come bail them out, is it?

Wow. What a stunning over reaction to my post. What's next? Wanna call me a commie?

Give me a break. I'm not your wife.

Best you can do is another personal attack to deflect from your obvious lack of a logical argument? Becoming a habit with you.

My wife has nothing to do with this, but if it makes you feel any better ... you're damned right you ain't.

Don't blame me your thread title and post I commented on says what it does. Now taht you mention it, commie pretty-much covers your argument. That IS what you are proposing.

My position runs on evidence. Eight years of Clinton--surplus. Eight years of Bush--deficit.

What's THAT got to do with your argument? Clinton didn't create jobs to bail out the private sector. He let us suffer while he taxed our asses off.

Then there's the fact he balanced only one portion of the budget. He did NOT get the US out of debt. That's just a fallacy perpetuated by the left.

Why? What are YOU reiterating? FDR-isms? More nanny-state bailouts? There are jobs out there. It's just those with that "entitled" mentality are "too good" to work them.

Tough times don't last. Tough PEOPLE do. But then, it isn't the tough people whining for Big Brother to come bail them out, is it?

Wow. What a stunning over reaction to my post. What's next? Wanna call me a commie?

Give me a break. I'm not your wife.

Best you can do is another personal attack to deflect from your obvious lack of a logical argument? Becoming a habit with you.

My wife has nothing to do with this, but if it makes you feel any better ... you're damned right you ain't.

Don't blame me your thread title and post I commented on says what it does. Now taht you mention it, commie pretty-much covers your argument. That IS what you are proposing.

Read your own posts. See if you can make a point about your position. I'm open to learning.

If that doesn't work, go kick your dog.

If all that Republican thought worked why did we have a surplus of revenue with eight years of Clinton and an economic mess and deficit with eight years of Bush?

Budget surpluses in the Clinton years were due to nothing Clinton did or didn't do (he didn't really do anything at all). We had a boom in Tech that was taxable at the Federal level, so income taxes and capital gains tax revenue exploded during that asset bubble. That one burst and was eventually replaced by another asset bubble, housing. But housing price increases resulted in mostly property tax receipts exploding at the state level and federal tax revenues got little boost from that bubble.

That and Bush chose to cut taxes and increase spending during a war.....which is about as dumb as it gets.

If all that Republican thought worked why did we have a surplus of revenue with eight years of Clinton and an economic mess and deficit with eight years of Bush?

Budget surpluses in the Clinton years were due to nothing Clinton did or didn't do (he didn't really do anything at all). We had a boom in Tech that was taxable at the Federal level, so income taxes and capital gains tax revenue exploded during that asset bubble. That one burst and was eventually replaced by another asset bubble, housing. But housing price increases resulted in mostly property tax receipts exploding at the state level and federal tax revenues got little boost from that bubble.

That and Bush chose to cut taxes and increase spending during a war.....which is about as dumb as it gets.

The point is now, what do we do about it?

The point is now, what do we do about it?

About the financial crisis? Let the market run it's course. A recession is also called a correction for a reason, it's the time when the market reallocates resources.

Your suggestion is to do nothing, Kevin? Can you imagine any sitting President of any party who is newly elected doing nothing?

Last edited:
Your suggestion is to do nothing, Kevin? Can you imagine any sitting President of any party who is newly elected doing nothing?

Politics does not trump economics. If it did then the bailouts would have worked.

Yeah. It does require courage and testicular fortitude. I can't imagine any politician with that anymore.

If government spending is the answer to all economic woes, then why aren't we all better off today?

After all government spending has been going up every year right?

"The number of jobs in the nation increased by about 2 percent during Bush's tenure, the most tepid growth over any eight-year span since data collection began seven decades ago. Gross domestic product, a broad measure of economic output, grew at the slowest pace for a period of that length since the Truman administration. And Americans' incomes grew more slowly than in any presidency since the 1960s, other than that of Bush's father."

Bush Lead During Weakest Economy in Decades - washingtonpost.com

I saw nobody defending Bush's economic policies. Some have tried to explain basic economics to you, and I have refuted or at least put Clinton's "surplus" into a new perspective. You are simply ignoring all of this because it doesn't fit into your partisan view of things.
No one defended trickle down economics? No one defended deregulation? Perhaps you were living in a different country.

If government spending is the answer to all economic woes, then why aren't we all better off today?

Mostly in Iraq, not domestically.

The private sector is shedding jobs by the thousands every day. But Republicans would rather have people be unemployed by the private sector than employed by the public sector. (Rep. Rodgers insisted that every single job that the economic recovery plan creates be in the private sector.)

Only the federal government has the resources to stave off the disaster that will surely befall us if we let the free market take us further over the cliff.

The Republicans keep reiterating Hooverisms.

Why?

Because they’re ideologically bankrupt.
Republicans Go Back to Hoover in Response to Obama’s Stimulus Bill | The Progressive

Taxes pay for Government employees salaries, how EXACTLY does one employ half the Country and still collect enough taxes from other workers to pay the half the Government now employs?

Mostly in Iraq, not domestically.

And just what part of the domestic"stimulus" will improve the economy?

Will it be all the money for infrastructure that won't be spent until 2010?
Will it be the money to buy new computers for government agencies?
Will it be the money for family planning?
Will it be food stamps?

The best stimulus would be for the government to let people keep their money.

If i asked you for say 10 ,000 dollars and told you that my taking that money from you would all of a sudden make your economic situation better because i would spend it on a new lap top for my kid and new sod for my lawn, would you believe me?

My position runs on evidence. Eight years of Clinton--surplus. Eight years of Bush--deficit.

Hey numbnuts you may want to chack who RAN Congress for the last 6 years of Clinton's Presidency. That is right, the Republicans, now do you know Government at all?

Which branch of Government creates all money bills, all laws and all ways to spend and collect money? Why Dear, that would be the Congress. All the President does is agree or disagree.

Now if you do a LITTLE more research you will discover the reason the National Debt grew less ( there never was a surplus) while Clinton was President is because he accepted all the Republican plans that made it do so.

Well since jobs and wealth are only created in the private sector that would seem to be a pretty good policy.

And Hoover actually did plenty to try and "fend off" the Great Depression. Roosevelt basically continued his policies.

That simply is not true, and had Hoover done what Roosevelt did, your party would have a real hero and not only the imaginary ones.

In the end Keynesian economics got us out of the depression, even Roosevelt was fiscally conservative during years the New Deal created too much debt. WWII was government, aka Keynesian spending, at its greatest. It was required spending so ideology took a back seat for a while.

"The number of jobs in the nation increased by about 2 percent during Bush's tenure, the most tepid growth over any eight-year span since data collection began seven decades ago. Gross domestic product, a broad measure of economic output, grew at the slowest pace for a period of that length since the Truman administration. And Americans' incomes grew more slowly than in any presidency since the 1960s, other than that of Bush's father."

Bush Lead During Weakest Economy in Decades - washingtonpost.com

I saw nobody defending Bush's economic policies. Some have tried to explain basic economics to you, and I have refuted or at least put Clinton's "surplus" into a new perspective. You are simply ignoring all of this because it doesn't fit into your partisan view of things.
No one defended trickle down economics? No one defended deregulation? Perhaps you were living in a different country.

perhaps you were reading a different thread?

Well since jobs and wealth are only created in the private sector that would seem to be a pretty good policy.

You know you younger generations have been indoctinated by so many trueisms which are false, it little wonder our world is falling apart.

That's not really true, you know. Basically it's hugely overstating the case.

Wealth is created by labor and it doesn't really matter how that labor is originally funded.

The Hoover dam or the TVA project for examples are sources of great wealth and ones that were created by government funding.

Likewise the cross continental RR's only happened because the government invested huge money into the project in conjunction with private money.

I could go on with example after example- roads, bridges, ferries, damns, canals, educational systems...all created by governments, all creating more wealth than they cost, and all creating jobs and helping the commonweal, too.

And Hoover actually did plenty to try and "fend off" the Great Depression. Roosevelt basically continued his policies.

Really?

What policies did Hoover try to do to "fend off" the depression?

What policies of Hoover did Roosevelt "basically continue"?

Last edited:

You know you younger generations have been indoctinated by so many trueisms which are false, it little wonder our world is falling apart.

That's not really true, you know. Basically it's hugely overstating the case.

Wealth is created by labor and it doesn't really matter how that labor is originally funded.

The Hoover dam or the TVA project for examples are sources of great wealth and ones that were created by government funding.

Likewise the cross continental RR's only happened because the government invested huge money into the project in conjunction with private money.

I could go on with example after example- roads, bridges, ferries, damns, canals, educational systems...all created by governments, all creating more wealth than they cost, and all creating jobs and helping the commonweal, too.

Really?

What policies did Hoover try to do to "fend off" the depression?

What policies of Hoover did Roosevelt "basically continue"?
Actually, wealth creates labor. You even said it unwittinglhy in your post. You just seem to have a mental block created by a false interpretation of economic activities lead by an ideology that does not care about economic progress.

Most infrastructure is best left to the government, in my estimation. Dams and the like would actually be better operated by the private sector, but people are too afraid of meltdowns to allow this transfer to happen. That is to say, most people revel in unknowledgeable stupidity. Educational systems are so fucked up precisely because of what government is Private schools are so much better for all the reasons that government took away from public schools over the decades in a desire to please trial lawyers and that the government added in order to please teachers' unions.

Forum List

Back