Republicans impersonate Dems...Twitter shuts them down

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Hartford Advocate: News - Republicans Overtweet

Twitter, Inc., shut down 33 fake Twitter accounts created by Republicans using the names of Democratic state representatives. The Republican scheme was to send out posts under the Democrats' names mocking the liberal tax-and-spend bastards.

That's unfortunate," was state Republican Chairman Chris Healy's response when told of Twitter, Inc.'s decision. "I'm not quite sure what the issue is, other than that the Democrats were successful in stopping free speech."

Healy's party may have suffered a setback with the loss of its Twitter campaign, but Republicans are still operating the 33 Web sites they created using the names of those same Democratic lawmakers. As far as anyone knows, this is the first time any state party has used such a tactic to mock its state opponents.

It's our idea, actually," said Healy. He said Republicans want voters to understand how badly they're being screwed by the Democrats who approved billions in new taxes rather than cut spending.

Healy has no intention of shutting those sites down just because of Democratic protests.

"They didn't think of it first, so that's why they're whining," Healy said.

But it's not only Democrats who say the GOP's Internet policies are misleading.

According to Twitter, Inc., the fake posts violated the immensely popular social networking system's anti-impersonation policy.

Intentionally representing yourself as someone else in such a environment is not Satire. So I say GOOD DAY SIR! GOOD DAY!

All the sites use the same format. In the case of state House Speaker Chris Donovan, D-Meriden, the Republican-funded Web address is meetchrisdonovan.com. All the information on the site was produced by Republicans and is critical of Donovan. The only indication that it was paid for by the state GOP is in small print at the very bottom of the page.

Phillip Simon, director of the Graduate Interactive Communications program at Quinnipiac University, said his impression of the GOP-sponsored sites is that they are misleading.

It's alright, the Republicans may not care now, but they certainly will when they're brought to court. :D

Last edited:
Hartford Advocate: News - Republicans Overtweet

Twitter, Inc., shut down 33 fake Twitter accounts created by Republicans using the names of Democratic state representatives. The Republican scheme was to send out posts under the Democrats' names mocking the liberal tax-and-spend bastards.

That's unfortunate," was state Republican Chairman Chris Healy's response when told of Twitter, Inc.'s decision. "I'm not quite sure what the issue is, other than that the Democrats were successful in stopping free speech."

Healy's party may have suffered a setback with the loss of its Twitter campaign, but Republicans are still operating the 33 Web sites they created using the names of those same Democratic lawmakers. As far as anyone knows, this is the first time any state party has used such a tactic to mock its state opponents.

It's our idea, actually," said Healy. He said Republicans want voters to understand how badly they're being screwed by the Democrats who approved billions in new taxes rather than cut spending.

Healy has no intention of shutting those sites down just because of Democratic protests.

"They didn't think of it first, so that's why they're whining," Healy said.

But it's not only Democrats who say the GOP's Internet policies are misleading.

According to Twitter, Inc., the fake posts violated the immensely popular social networking system's anti-impersonation policy.

Intentionally representing yourself as someone else in such a environment is not Satire. So I say GOOD DAY SIR! GOOD DAY!

All the sites use the same format. In the case of state House Speaker Chris Donovan, D-Meriden, the Republican-funded Web address is meetchrisdonovan.com. All the information on the site was produced by Republicans and is critical of Donovan. The only indication that it was paid for by the state GOP is in small print at the very bottom of the page.

Phillip Simon, director of the Graduate Interactive Communications program at Quinnipiac University, said his impression of the GOP-sponsored sites is that they are misleading.

It's alright, the Republicans may not care now, but they certainly will when they're brought to court. :D

And who are these alleged Republicans and how can you be certain they are indeeed Republicans?

And who are these alleged Republicans and how can you be certain they are indeeed Republicans?

Did you read the article? State Republican Chairman Chris Healy. :eusa_eh:

Yes I did. Now kindly quote the part that states Healy was responsible for creating the twitter accounts and then name the other Republicans involved. As the story suggest Republicans were responsible for creating the accounts.

Yes I did. Now kindly quote the part that states Healy was responsible for creating the twitter accounts and then name the other Republicans involved. As the story suggest Republicans were responsible for creating the accounts.

Go back and read the article again. He admits they ran the twitter pages. In fact, he called the fact they were taken down a "mark on freedom of speech". Those twitter pages were linked back to the websites that were paid for and run by the Republicans.

What else do you need? Again, reading comprehension.

Go back and read the article again. He admits they ran the twitter pages. In fact, he called the fact they were taken down a "mark on freedom of speech". Those twitter pages were linked back to the websites that were paid for and run by the Republicans.

What else do you need? Again, reading comprehension.

Provide the quote where he admits creating the twitter accounts. And specifically who are "they "? I would agree it was a "mark on freedom of speech" does that mean I helped create the accounts? And again who are these Republicans who paid for them and ran them?

I can't believe how immature Republicans have become of late. :lol:

Not surprised they are confused about the definition of free speech, though.

Republicans must be getting desperate to stoop to new lows like that....

This coming from the people who paraded a phoney ex marine around claiming that Obama has support from the marines? right...

Pretty shoddy journalism by an obvious liberal pseudo fish-wrap

1) Acting like it is some sort of Republican conspiracy, rather than 1 or more stupid individuals
2) Jumping to a lot of conclusions without any real validation
3) Acting as if you don't have many other stupid individuals doing the same thing in the other direction on many levels

Good for twitter for upholding their no impersonation policy... But this 'article' is a flat out joke

Pretty shoddy journalism by an obvious liberal pseudo fish-wrap

1) Acting like it is some sort of Republican conspiracy, rather than 1 or more stupid individuals
2) Jumping to a lot of conclusions without any real validation
3) Acting as if you don't have many other stupid individuals doing the same thing in the other direction on many levels

Good for twitter for upholding their no impersonation policy... But this 'article' is a flat out joke
It wasn't one or two stupid individuals. It was the idea of state Republican Chairman Chris Healy.

Nice job excusing it, though.

for republicans to get my attention sit down shut up and show me why you don't like obama plan instead doing cemetery level insults. so me it with facts and no the bias facts

When bullshit like this happens that should be it ... no more public service career over. This would end the childish games and mud slinging.
They all do it.

Some dude makes some fakes twitter accounts and the fucking libs want to pretend as though its a republican conspiracy? You guys have completely lost it. You seriously need to get your priorities straight and just stick to the important discussions.

Forum List

Back