Republicans are for the little guy too

Wiseacre

Retired USAF Chief
Apr 8, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I see the mantra from the left around here and elsewhere that the GOP is only for the rich guys and care nothing about the middle and lower income classes, or those who are unemployed. It's not true, it's pure political demagoguery designed to scare people away from the repubs; I'm sure it's very effective but it is also bogus as hell. The real issue is what is the best way to help those who are less successful.

I would suggest that most conservatives believe the rich can take care of themselves very nicely; but most also believe that there's no better way to improve the lot in life for everyone else than free market capitalism. Which usually means the rich get most of the gains; it is their money after all that gets invested. No other economic model comes close in terms of growth, jobs, and prosperity for everybody. Surely you've heard the term that a rising tide lifts all boats; well, it works.

The left thinks that a drastic redistribution of wealth downward will create demand and economic growth. However, such a policy has never worked, particularly in times like those we face today. It isn't that the right wants to protect the wealthy, it's that such an idea is doomed to failure. There are consequences to such actions; and besides, the additional revenue is not nearly enough to make a difference.

Most conservatives believe we do not have the time or money to waste on fruitless attempts to achieve greater revenue. We need greater economic growth, and taking money from some and giving it to others is not an answer. More growth means more jobs, and that is how republicans believe they can best help everybody.

Last edited:
I agree and wasn't concerned with Moderate Republicans like John McCain in the last election.
Its the Extreme Romney who has validated that he is by listing Ryan as his running mate.

Here's my responses, Wiseacre:

I see the mantra from the left around here and elsewhere that the GOP is only for the rich guys and care nothing about the middle and lower income classes, or those who are unemployed. It's not true, it's pure political demagoguery designed to scare people away from the repubs; I'm sure it's very effective but it is also bogus as hell. The real issue is what is the best way to help those who are less successful.
This is true, though, right? I mean, the Republican Party--starting most recently with Reagan's "supply side" ecomomic theory--actively began the process of transferring wealth from the working class to the richest Americans. He did this by effectively banning labor unions from the U.S. and by all that tax code fuckery he engaged in.

I would suggest that most conservatives believe the rich can take care of themselves very nicely; but most also believe that there's no better way to improve the lot in life for everyone else than free market capitalism. Which usually means the rich get most of the gains; it is their money after all that gets invested. No other economic model comes close in terms of growth, jobs, and prosperity for everybody. Surely you've heard the term that a rising tide lifts all boats; well, it works.
No, that isn't true. Reagan's supply side economic fuckery actually decimated the American middle class over the next three decades. We are still dealing with it. You do remember "trickle down" economics, right? Are you familiar with the expanding income gaps, wealth gaps, and growing concentrations of wealth that have come because of GOP fuckery? If not, look it up. This is the problem we deal with today.

The left thinks that a drastic redistribution of wealth downward will create demand and economic growth. However, such a policy has never worked, particularly in times like those we face today. It isn't that the right wants to protect the wealthy, it's that such an idea is doomed to failure. There are consequences to such actions; and besides, the additional revenue is not nearly enough to make a difference.
Wrong again, boyo. This so-called "downward redistribution of wealth" occured post-1930 via progressive income taxation and active labor unions. It created, for the first time, a large and engage American middle class. That middle class continued to grow and prosper until Ronald Reagan fucked it all up.

Most conservatives believe we do not have the time or money to waste on fruitless attempts to achieve greater revenue. We need greater economic growth, and taking money from some and giving it to others is not an answer. More growth means more jobs, and that is how republicans believe they can best help everybody.
Capitalism does depend entirely upon infinite and steady growth--neither of which are possible given the characteristics of capitalism (which suppresses wages) and consumerism (that depends upon rising wages to grow).

Last edited:
It seems to me that if the public has more disposable income, they will buy more and the economy will grow. You either do that on the front end--raise wages--or do that on the back end--lower taxes. Regardless, that is the easiest way to grow the economy. Wage suppression has lead to this recession. Until we have more capital in the hands of consumers; we will have less consumption. Capitalism is based on that consumption since we have a consumer driven economy.

I agree and wasn't concerned with Moderate Republicans like John McCain in the last election.
Its the Extreme Romney who has validated that he is by listing Ryan as his running mate.

Are you able to state with specificity what makes Romney "extreme"?

"Trickle-down" totally makes sense. Just like building a house starting with the roof makes sense. (lol)

When some 2/3rds of our economy depends on the middle class and and the much of the Gov't revunue comes from middle class/small business taxes, it makes total sense to make economic polices based on helping the upper classes, right? Right guise?

I always felt it, but then they confirmed it by adding Ryan.. Ryan is as close as you can get to the extreme right.. Tea Party Favorite...

The best thing the government can do for the middle class is to leave them alone. No one ever got hired by a company owned by a homeless drug addict who gets his food from the nearest soup kitchen.

It's when government starts helping that things fall apart.

Here's my responses, Wiseacre:

This is true, though, right? I mean, the Republican Party--starting most recently with Reagan's "supply side" ecomomic theory--actively began the process of transferring wealth from the working class to the richest Americans. He did this by effectively banning labor unions from the U.S. and by all that tax code fuckery he engaged in.

No, that isn't true. Reagan's supply side economic fuckery actually decimated the American middle class over the next three decades. We are still dealing with it. You do remember "trickle down" economics, right? Are you familiar with the expanding income gaps, wealth gaps, and growing concentrations of wealth that have come because of GOP fuckery? If not, look it up. This is the problem we deal with today.

Wrong again, boyo. This so-called "downward redistribution of wealth" occured post-1930 via progressive income taxation and active labor unions. It created, for the first time, a large and engage American middle class. That middle class continued to grow and prosper until Ronald Reagan fucked it all up.

Capitalism does depend entirely upon infinite and steady growth--neither of which are possible given the characteristics of capitalism (which suppresses wages) and consumerism (that depends upon rising wages to grow).

That larger middle class was done by President Coolidge policies, a republican, in the 1920's
His policies brought more of the poor up into the middle class and raised the middle class up into the upper middle class. All of Americans prospered under his presidency.

I always felt it, but then they confirmed it by adding Ryan.. Ryan is as close as you can get to the extreme right.. Tea Party Favorite...

Okay then. Are you able to state with specificity what makes Romney "extreme" because Ryan is his VP? You are free to demonstrate how Ryan is "extreme" as well, but if you are to support your original claim, you'll have to show his extremism makes Romney extreme. Be specific now...

The best thing the government can do for the middle class is to leave them alone. No one ever got hired by a company owned by a homeless drug addict who gets his food from the nearest soup kitchen.

It's when government starts helping that things fall apart.

:confused:

I wonder if you have a business yourself my dear. My husband and I do and have never used Government help.
I wonder if you have even been out on your own and bought a house, have you?

Yes fiscal accountability and responsibility scares many..............

So the dem plan is......? No changes to entitlements....

The budget they want will be presented............when.? NEVER.............

Forum List

Back