Republican Women In Florida Livid Over DeSantis Stabbing Them In The Back Over Alimony Law

Nonsense. That is a choice. Not to say that isn't a tough job but they were "paid" while they were married. After divorce she should be self sufficient.
When you quit your job do you get a monthly check from your former employer? Nope, because quiting nullifies unemployment.
Wives aren't paid. How much did you pay your wife for cooking, laundry, raising kids, cleaning the house 14 hours a day 7 days a week.

Wives aren't paid. How much did you pay your wife for cooking, laundry, raising kids, cleaning the house 14 hours a day 7 days a week.
She lived the exact same lifestyle I did. That takes MONEY.
And it doesn't take 14 hours a day to clean and cook.
I was a single father of 2 for 5 years and I didn't get a dime of support from her. Lawyer said I could get it and I said don't bother.

She lived the exact same lifestyle I did. That takes MONEY.
And it doesn't take 14 hours a day to clean and cook.
I was a single father of 2 for 5 years and I didn't get a dime of support from her. Lawyer said I could get it and I said don't bother.
So when did you buy groceries and do laundry?

Nonsense. That is a choice. Not to say that isn't a tough job but they were "paid" while they were married. After divorce she should be self sufficient.
It isn’t that clear. Child care and household tasks are a lot of work, a full time job plus overtime. I doubt she (or he) would be “paid” anything close to a market value. In the meantime, she’s out of the market for how many years when she could have been building a career, getting promotions etc. as he has. So ya, he is going to owe her.

On the other hand, while main point of feminism was to give us a choice … I can’t understand why a woman would choose this if there were no kids.

When you quit your job do you get a monthly check from your former employer? Nope, because quiting nullifies unemployment.

Were there kids involved? If not, it is more questionable. In general though, the higher earning spouse pays some form of alimony.
Of course women who got alimony for years are going to be pissed at the Meatball. Just depends how many there are and if they could make a difference.

It isn’t that clear. Child care and household tasks are a lot of work, a full time job plus overtime. I doubt she (or he) would be “paid” anything close to a market value. In the meantime, she’s out of the market for how many years when she could have been building a career, getting promotions etc. as he has. So ya, he is going to owe her.

On the other hand, while main point of feminism was to give us a choice … I can’t understand why a woman would choose this if there were no kids.

I ain't saying she's a gold digger, but she ain't messin with no brokey-broke.

Child support is expected. Alimony is BULLSHIT. This isn't the 50's anymore

Look at the scams in California where women hit the lottery after divorce then remarry and STILL get alimony.

It's outrageous

The real event is limited to the reform of divorce laws.
It was a ten-year process which predates Desantis being Governor.

Democrats love reform.

All of the koz story other that "the "real' event"
is just partisan hackery -
I see, so it is NOT a real event?

DeSantis, whose presidential campaign is going great right now, decided to take a break from harming children and marginalized communities to do something nasty to his own base of right-wing Republican white women. He signed a measure that bans permanent alimony and rewrites the formula for other kinds of alimony. Only existing non-modifiable agreements are not subject to the new terms. If they are modifiable, as many are, that means a flood of cases in Florida are about to be reopened and will overwhelmingly harm Florida women.

'This is a death sentence for me': Florida Republican women say they will switch parties after DeSantis approves alimony law.

“He (DeSantis) has just impoverished all the older women of Florida, and I know at least 3,000 women across the state of Florida are switching to Democrat and we will campaign against him, all the way, forever,” Camille Fiveash, a Milton Republican who receives permanent alimony, said in a phone interview Friday.

Fiveash, a 63-year-old with serious medical conditions, said she can’t afford another legal fight over alimony.

Brilliant move Ronny. The one group of voters nobody can afford to lose.
Alimony should never been permanent....this isn't uncommon in other states, glad FL is catching up

Brilliant move Ronny. The one group of voters nobody can afford to lose.

3,000 likely won't be much of a dent.

The legislature has sent this over before and he apparently vetoed it. (Election year).

Why are people freaked out about Desantis if the legislature is pushing the idea ?

And why is Florida so far behind the times ?

Forum List

Back