Republican secretary of state’s first act in office: withdrawing Alabama from voter-registration organization

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho
Maybe someone can clear this up for me. Republicans are up in arms about 'voter fraud', right? So, the first thing a Republican does..is withdraw his state from one of the most effective ways to keep track of voter's registration rolls nation-wide? It seems almost as though he wants that wiggle-room--and does NOT want an accurate account of all voters registered.

Alabama’s new secretary of state has announced the state’s withdrawal from a 32-state voter-registration partnership, a data-sharing effort that was designed to maintain accurate voter rolls but has sometimes become the target of right-wing ire and conspiracy theories.
A day after being sworn in on Jan. 17, Secretary of State Wes Allen sent a letter to the Electronic Registration Information Center, a nonprofit linking 32 states and the District of Columbia, saying the state will no longer participate in the sharing of voter registration data.
“I made a promise to the people of Alabama that ending our state’s relationship with the ERIC organization would be my first official act as Secretary of State,” Allen said in a statement. The letter said that Alabama would immediately cease transmitting data.
The database was created as a tool to maintain accurate voter rolls and combat fraud by allowing states to know when someone moves, dies or registers elsewhere, but has sometimes been targeted by critics.
In November, former Secretary of State John Merrill, a fellow Republican, had criticized Allen’s intent to withdraw. He said then that ERIC provides information that Alabama couldn’t otherwise access — such as other states’ voter registration and motorist driver’s license records — and has been a crucial tool for maintaining voting rolls.
“I trust he has evaluated this situation and is making the decision based on what he believes to be in the best interest of the state of Alabama,” Merrill said on Jan. 18 after Allen’s withdrawal letter.
However, another Republican campaigned on joining the partnership.
Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger, also a Republican, proudly noted in stump speeches that the state had joined ERIC. Raffensperger said in 2019 that it would be a tremendous step forward for the integrity of Georgia’s voter rolls.
According to the organization, the states that currently participate in ERIC are Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia and Wisconsin. The District of Columbia is also a member.

Maybe someone can clear this up for me. Republicans are up in arms about 'voter fraud', right? So, the first thing a Republican does..is withdraw his state from one of the most effective ways to keep track of voter's registration rolls nation-wide? It seems almost as though he wants that wiggle-room--and does NOT want an accurate account of all voters registered.

Alabama’s new secretary of state has announced the state’s withdrawal from a 32-state voter-registration partnership, a data-sharing effort that was designed to maintain accurate voter rolls but has sometimes become the target of right-wing ire and conspiracy theories.
A day after being sworn in on Jan. 17, Secretary of State Wes Allen sent a letter to the Electronic Registration Information Center, a nonprofit linking 32 states and the District of Columbia, saying the state will no longer participate in the sharing of voter registration data.
“I made a promise to the people of Alabama that ending our state’s relationship with the ERIC organization would be my first official act as Secretary of State,” Allen said in a statement. The letter said that Alabama would immediately cease transmitting data.
The database was created as a tool to maintain accurate voter rolls and combat fraud by allowing states to know when someone moves, dies or registers elsewhere, but has sometimes been targeted by critics.
In November, former Secretary of State John Merrill, a fellow Republican, had criticized Allen’s intent to withdraw. He said then that ERIC provides information that Alabama couldn’t otherwise access — such as other states’ voter registration and motorist driver’s license records — and has been a crucial tool for maintaining voting rolls.
“I trust he has evaluated this situation and is making the decision based on what he believes to be in the best interest of the state of Alabama,” Merrill said on Jan. 18 after Allen’s withdrawal letter.
Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger, also a Republican, proudly noted in stump speeches that the state had joined ERIC. Raffensperger said in 2019 that it would be a tremendous step forward for the integrity of Georgia’s voter rolls.
According to the organization, the states that currently participate in ERIC are Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia and Wisconsin. The District of Columbia is also a member.
Alabama, working hard to out Mississippi Mississippi since 1910.

/——-/ Odd you didn’t post his reasoning. I’m guessing it weakens your argument so you left it out. “Providing the private information of Alabama citizens, including underage minors, to an out of state organization is troubling to me and to people that I heard from as I traveled the state for the last 20 months," Allen said.

Last edited:

Now the state can kick people off of the voter rolls, and there is no record of it. Then they pass suppression laws, and the rolls are whatever they say it is, along with the results of the elections.

Keep in mind Alabama was part of the Confederacy. In their hillbilly, cousin fucking minds, they still are.

You can't get more anti American than the Confederacy. It's why they seceded from the Union in 1860. It's what the heart of MAGA is.

Now the state can kick people off of the voter rolls, and there is no record of it. Then they pass suppression laws, and the rolls are whatever they say it is, along with the results of the elections.

Keep in mind Alabama was part of the Confederacy. In their hillbilly, cousin fucking minds, they still are.

You can't get more anti American than the Confederacy. It's why they seceded from the Union in 1860. It's what the heart of MAGA is.
/——/ “You can't get more anti American than the Confederacy. It's why they seceded from the Union in 1860. “
Yeah, those anti American slave owning democRATs.

/——/ “You can't get more anti American than the Confederacy. It's why they seceded from the Union in 1860. “
Yeah, those anti American slave owning democRATs.
Who in Congress owned slaves?

Senate
SenatorPartyState
John AdairDemocratic-RepublicanKentucky
Stephen AdamsDemocraticMississippi
James Lusk AlcornWhig, RepublicanMississippi
Alexander Outlaw AndersonDemocraticTennessee
70 more rows

/——-/ Odd you didn’t post his reasoning. I’m guessing it weakens your argument so you left it out. “Providing the private information of Alabama citizens, including underage minors, to an out of state organization is troubling to me and to people that I heard from as I traveled the state for the last 20 months," Allen said.
Can't quote it all..and I laughed a bit..about underage minors..BTW..all minors are under-age...when he is talking about 18-20 year-old voters, right?
Weakens my argument?? Not even a little.

Troubling eh? Troubling is when you catch someone talking election reform..and taking giant steps backward~

Can't quote it all..and I laughed a bit..about underage minors..BTW..all minors are under-age...when he is talking about 18-20 year-old voters, right?
Weakens my argument?? Not even a little.

Troubling eh? Troubling is when you catch someone talking election reform..and taking giant steps backward~
/——/ So, what is your position this week on states rights?

The right’s war on democracy continues.

I believe all Americans who are legal voters should be encouraged to vote and it should be as easy as possible. Seems to me all the Republicans do is discourage non Republicans from voting.
Republicans do much more than just discourage.

Republicans actively engage in voter suppression efforts, such as eliminating voting venues in minority communities, opposing early and mail in voting, gerrymandering, and voter ID laws.

Of course.

Facts are never in their favor.
Never.

Bingo.... probably gets used to generate false ID's. I'm thinking this organization is in an excellent position to be fraudulent.

Ahh this thread warms my heart. Whoda thunk my Sweet Home Alabama could make so many Lefty, Marxist twats cry? I think I'm gettin' misty eyed with pride...

Forum List

Back