Repeal the rules against making a point in Politics.

Discussion in 'Announcements and Feedback' started by SwimExpert, Oct 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SwimExpert

SwimExpert BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,619
    Current USMB policy is that anything "posted to 'make a point'" is an "invitation to brawl." As such, it is prohibited for a post to "make a point." Now, this unpublished rule might be useful in some areas of the board. For example, it goes without saying that nobody really needs to make a point in the CDZ. The entire reason that section exists is so create a safe space for people to engage in unstructured free prose and let the chips fall where they may. And clearly there is no reason to make a point in Religion and Ethics. People either believe or they've been corrupted by Satan. And only God can fight Satan.

But Politics is different. People should make a point when they post something. Not being able to make a point in the Politics section is kinda like sex without the orgasm, work without the paycheck, science classes teaching creationism. Or for that matter, having science classes at all, since everyone knows global warming is real so no need to actually learn anything for yourself just take everyone else's word for it.

Making a point in Politics should not be prohibited, it should be encouraged! Granted, a few folks like Rdean and Owebo might not be comfortable with this kind of change. But I think most people here have plenty of points to make, if we simply let them.

2. Bruce_T_Laney

Bruce_T_Laney Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,227
    What's your point?

:banana::banana2::banana:

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
  3. OldLady

OldLady Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,626
    Did your thread get moved or closed?
    I have heard that argument as well and been puzzled by it for the same reason you are, but I'm not so good at identifying posters' nefarious intentions, so I figured it was just me who didn't get it.
    Maybe you've made an enemy? I got this advice when I first started posting here, and I try to live by it: Don't piss off a mod.
    Which I've probably just done.

4. Coyote

Coyote Varmint Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,823
    Current USMB policy is that anything "posted to 'make a point'" is an "invitation to brawl."

No, it is not.

You're invited to address any of us staff via PM if you have policy issues or moderation issues.

Edited: reconsidered, thread reopened.

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  5. TNHarley

TNHarley Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +41,329
    Bi-polar disorder?

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. flacaltenn

flacaltenn USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,780
    When your point is that brand name politics is in the gutter and has gotten totally ridiculous ---- SAY THAT.

Don't contribute to the problem trying to ONE UP the rot that your 2 parties have created..
    You created the Melania thread to continue your fight with moderation, NOT to make things better with the forum.

And if you keep up that war with the entire staff -- we're gonna lose our charm and patience and not spend as much time trying to REASON with you. Like starting THIS Announcement thread with the MISQUOTES and misrepresentation from our private messages.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  7. Coyote

Coyote Varmint Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,823
    It's possible to make points without violating any rules.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. JakeStarkey

JakeStarkey Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +42,291
    Points can certainly be made within the rules. Why not?

9. OldLady

OldLady Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,626
    Well, another mystery solved. Swim's being rebellious. Who wudda thunk?

10. flacaltenn

flacaltenn USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,780
    BTW --- in your zeal to "make a point" about making points, you violated a major board rule here by calling out 2 members BY NAME in your opening post. How does the membership feel about handling that? What should happen with THIS new thread of yours?

We cannot control the national dialogue when it goes into the gutter. We do not censor "points" that have been entered into by two arrogant power hungry parties who are intent on wrecking respect and sanity in order to "win" an election.

But we CAN move or trash conspiracies that were obviously SELF - CREATED -- just to make a point how awful the leadership and political process has become. Because the motive was to ADD to the crisis, throw gasoline on the fire and watch the fun.

It's far too much to wish for to have the members just look over the crap in the Politics and personally resolve not to buy into the absurd and insane fodder that the 2 parties are serving up this season.. But adding your OWN junk to that feast is not rational and is not discussion and it is NOT helpful.

Tissue??? We ALL ought to be weeping about the national state of distress. Tissues all around.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.