repatriation

Aquarian

Oct 16, 2003
Outsourcing didn't pay off for Conseco
Insurance firm may be at forefront of trend by bringing jobs moved to India back to U.S.

CARMEL, Ind. -- Three years ago, when Conseco moved 800 jobs to India, its chief executive was clear that his pioneering outsourcing move was more than just cost-cutting.

"I'm convinced there's better customer service in India. It's no good here," then-CEO Gary Wendt told The Indianapolis Star.

These days, the insurer also may be a pioneer because it brought most of those jobs back to Indiana.

the rest is at: http://www.indystar.com/articles/5/140262-9565-092.html

On a purely personal note regarding outsourcing, I've had the occaision to talk to earthlink tech support 3 times recently, each time talking to a representative that I'm fairly certain was in India at the time. They did well enough with only minimal difficulty communicating due to accents and/or the connection (my cell or the overseas line, not sure). I have to be honest tho, I'd rather have someone in Newark not understand my problem than someone overseas, it adds a level of complication that is not necessarry. The 2nd person I spoke to over there was great, clear speech, precise, understood me as well (based on not having to repeat myself 3 times like the first and third call).

Agreed. Dell recently did this after complaints of bad customer service. Its not that the indians are rude. ITs that you cant understand them. Then you have to ask them to repeat themselves like 3 or 4 times. To the point that you just start saying yes whether or not you understand what they are saying or not.

I work in the IT field--Network Administration,Information Security, etc.
I attended a conference the other at which I was told that alot of these jobs are coming back.

In many cases companies are paying these folks in India/Pakistan, including the phone bills involved, and then when the situation can't be handled(perhaps due to the language barrier) they still have to send a tech out into the field to handle the situation.

On the other hand, with the advent of email/the internet, it is still quite cost-effective to pay some programmer over there to develop software which can then be emailed over here as soon as it's ready.

So I think in some ways it may hurt the American workforce, in other ways not.
As long as you can pay someone in some country a dollar a day or less to work for you, especially inmanufacturing, this will be a continuing issue it seems.

Originally posted by nycflasher
I work in the IT field--Network Administration,Information Security, etc.
I attended a conference the other at which I was told that alot of these jobs are coming back.

In many cases companies are paying these folks in India/Pakistan, including the phone bills involved, and then when the situation can't be handled(perhaps due to the language barrier) they still have to send a tech out into the field to handle the situation.

On the other hand, with the advent of email/the internet, it is still quite cost-effective to pay some programmer over there to develop software which can then be emailed over here as soon as it's ready.

So I think in some ways it may hurt the American workforce, in other ways not.
As long as you can pay someone in some country a dollar a day or less to work for you, especially inmanufacturing, this will be a continuing issue it seems.

Over time, the wages there will begin to rise. When they're equal to here, outsourcing will stop, probably before they're equal. So, the model contains an end in sight. It's not just a black hole of jobs, you know. Ya gotta think ahead a little. I know there are signiificant growing pains, but we can't allow ourselves to become uncompetitive due to the temporary manna of protectionism.

Originally posted by Palestinian Jew
But that could very well take a 100 years!

I suggest you start a business and utilize the cheap labor for your own profit. It's up to us as individuals to make ourselves relevant.

Originally posted by rtwngAvngr
Over time, the wages there will begin to rise. When they're equal to here, outsourcing will stop, probably before they're equal. So, the model contains an end in sight. It's not just a black hole of jobs, you know. Ya gotta think ahead a little. I know there are signiificant growing pains, but we can't allow ourselves to become uncompetitive due to the temporary manna of protectionism.

Outsourcing won't stop. It'll just be shifted to the enxt lowest bidder. India is already worried about THEIR jobs being outsourced to indonesia and other cheaper countries.

Originally posted by insein
Outsourcing won't stop. It'll just be shifted to the enxt lowest bidder. India is already worried about THEIR jobs being outsourced to indonesia and other cheaper countries.

....and eventually it'll be our turn again. and then it'll be insourcing.

I suggest you start a business and utilize the cheap labor for your own profit. It's up to us as individuals to make ourselves relevant.

Starting a business for yourself with no employees can be quite rewarding WITHOUT cheap labor.

Originally posted by NewGuy
Starting a business for yourself with no employees can be quite rewarding WITHOUT cheap labor.

Yeah. that works too. You got a bidness. Or does this get into the territory of your top secret identity. OR did I already get that one right?

Yeah. that works too. You got a bidness. Or does this get into the territory of your top secret identity. OR did I already get that one right?

Got one, I am still undercover, and I have never been in politics.

:D

Forum List

Back