Reid objects to vote on Obama fiscal cliff plan

:rofl:

Oh! Some Phunny shit has just deveoped!

Debt Ceiling Bluff Called By Harry Reid, Leaving Mitch McConnell To Filibuster Himself

WASHINGTON -- A move to embarrass Democrats backfired on Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell Thursday as the Kentucky Republican proposed a vote on raising the nation's debt ceiling -- then filibustered it when the Democrats tried to take him up on the offer.

On Thursday morning McConnell had made a motion for the vote on legislation that would let the president extend the country's borrowing limit on his own. Congress would then have the option to disapprove such hikes, in a fashion similar to one that McConnell first suggested during last year's standoff over the debt ceiling.

The minority leader apparently did not think Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) would take him up on his offer, which would have allowed McConnell to portray President Barack Obama's desire for such authority as something even Democrats opposed.
Reid objected at first, but told McConnell he thought it might be a good idea. After Senate staff reviewed the proposal, Reid came back to the floor and proposed a straight up-or-down vote on the idea.

McConnell was forced to say no.
Debt Ceiling Bluff Called By Harry Reid, Leaving Mitch McConnell To Filibuster Himself

What, exactly, did Reid propose? The article gives the impression that all he is putting up for vote is eliminating Congress from having any say in raising the debt limit.
Wow, your reading skills SUCK, Windbag.

What, exactly, did Reid propose? The article gives the impression that all he is putting up for vote is eliminating Congress from having any say in raising the debt limit.

My reading skills suck?

On Thursday morning McConnell had made a motion for the vote on legislation that would let the president extend the country's borrowing limit on his own. Congress would then have the option to disapprove such hikes, in a fashion similar to one that McConnell first suggested during last year's standoff over the debt ceiling.
You see anything in there about the tax hikes and the stimulus? This looks like he is revising a stupid proposal McConnell made last year, not the one he made yesterday.

Wow. Suck to the power of ten.

Read the damn article. Look around. Watch the clip.. ANYTHING to give you some simple understanding. Sheesh.

The only clip available is the one I posted, and the article clearly states that they are talking about only one thing. Yet, somehow, I don't get it. IS that because I don't follow your chain of reasoning where the Democrats are always right and the Republicans are always wrong?

Of course it was a stunt by McConnell....a well played one that he knew the democrats wouldn't vote on. But, it does show that Obama does not have the support of his own party on his proposal.
Boy this is not a good thread for you Meister!
If you had paid attention to what Ried said you would have caught that he RESERVED the right to object to Turtle's bill, he didn't actually object at the time as the CON$ervoFascist Brotherhood falsely claims.

He read the bill and found no objection with it and brought it up for a vote, and guess what....Turtle filibustered his own bill!
:rofl::lmao:

WASHINGTON -- A move to embarrass Democrats backfired on Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell Thursday as the Kentucky Republican proposed a vote on raising the nation's debt ceiling -- then filibustered it when the Democrats tried to take him up on the offer.

The minority leader apparently did not think Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) would take him up on his offer, which would have allowed McConnell to portray President Barack Obama's desire for such authority as something even Democrats opposed.
Reid objected at first, but told McConnell he thought it might be a good idea. After Senate staff reviewed the proposal, Reid came back to the floor and proposed a straight up-or-down vote on the idea.

Oh shit, you beat me to it, I should have read further into the thread before I made my last post!

:lol::lol::lol:

mitch_mcconnell-turtle-head.jpg

A move to embarrass Democrats backfired on Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell Thursday as the Kentucky Republican proposed a vote on raising the nation's debt ceiling -- then filibustered it when the Democrats tried to take him up on the offer.

"What we're talking about here is a perpetual debt ceiling grant, in effect, to the president, " McConnell said. "Matters of this level of controversy always require 60 votes."

Sixty votes are required to end a filibuster during debate on a bill and hold a vote.

Democrats immediately seized on McConnell's reversal, noting it was the sort of obstruction that they think warrants changes to the rules on filibusters.

:lol::lol::lol:

mitch_mcconnell-turtle-head.jpg

A move to embarrass Democrats backfired on Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell Thursday as the Kentucky Republican proposed a vote on raising the nation's debt ceiling -- then filibustered it when the Democrats tried to take him up on the offer.

"What we're talking about here is a perpetual debt ceiling grant, in effect, to the president, " McConnell said. "Matters of this level of controversy always require 60 votes."

Sixty votes are required to end a filibuster during debate on a bill and hold a vote.

Democrats immediately seized on McConnell's reversal, noting it was the sort of obstruction that they think warrants changes to the rules on filibusters.

Another example of why the filibuster needs to be changed.

My reading skills suck?

You see anything in there about the tax hikes and the stimulus? This looks like he is revising a stupid proposal McConnell made last year, not the one he made yesterday.
Damn you are thick! Thursday morning Is THIS morning, not a year ago!!!

Mitch McConnell Filibusters His Own Bill To Avoid Debt Default | TPMDC

SAHIL KAPUR DECEMBER 6, 2012, 2:20 PM 26022
Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) wanted to prove on Thursday that Democrats don’t have the votes to weaken Congress’ authority on the debt limit. Instead they called his bluff, and he ended up filibustering his own bill.

The legislation, modeled on a proposal McConnell offered last year as a “last-choice option” to avert a U.S. debt default, would permit the president to unilaterally lift the debt ceiling unless Congress mustered a two-thirds majority to stop him.

McConnell brought up the legislation Thursday morning. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) initially objected, seemingly proving the Republican leader’s point that it cannot pass the Senate. But then Reid ran it by his members and, in the afternoon, agreed to hold that same vote. This time it was McConnell who objected.

“The Republican leader objects to his own idea,” Reid declared on the floor. “So I guess we have a filibuster of his own bill.”

My reading skills suck?

Damn you are thick! Thursday morning Is THIS morning, not a year ago!!!

Mitch McConnell Filibusters His Own Bill To Avoid Debt Default | TPMDC

SAHIL KAPUR DECEMBER 6, 2012, 2:20 PM 26022
Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) wanted to prove on Thursday that Democrats don’t have the votes to weaken Congress’ authority on the debt limit. Instead they called his bluff, and he ended up filibustering his own bill.

The legislation, modeled on a proposal McConnell offered last year as a “last-choice option” to avert a U.S. debt default, would permit the president to unilaterally lift the debt ceiling unless Congress mustered a two-thirds majority to stop him.

McConnell brought up the legislation Thursday morning. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) initially objected, seemingly proving the Republican leader’s point that it cannot pass the Senate. But then Reid ran it by his members and, in the afternoon, agreed to hold that same vote. This time it was McConnell who objected.

“The Republican leader objects to his own idea,” Reid declared on the floor. “So I guess we have a filibuster of his own bill.”

Thanks for proving I was right to question what Reid is saying.

From your link.

The legislation, modeled on a proposal McConnell offered last year as a “last-choice option” to avert a U.S. debt default, would permit the president to unilaterally lift the debt ceiling unless Congress mustered a two-thirds majority to stop him. President Obama has championed the idea.

Reid wasn't actually offering McConnell a chance to have a vote on Obama's proposal, he was offering him a chance for a vote on what he threw out last year.

I'll add, the link you provided was for an action that did not even occur on the same day.

You're excused and can add all you want,
Where do spending bills originate from? The House.
I provided the links, now it's up to you to do the work.
It would be helpful if you read what the bill was about to begin with :D
I'm getting a kick of this reply. It has a nugget in there that will help answer the riddle that my simple question appears to be, as no one can answer it.

I doubt you know what it is though, as it relays to the McConnell stunt.

:lol::lol::lol: The McConnell 'stunt' had to do with what bill?
Failure note in your claim of 'shutting me up'. :clap2:

My reading skills suck?

You are wrong. Reid was asking for an immediate vote on McConnell's request. McConnell then jumped up and filibustered his own request.

Classic!

Yesterday, McConnell asked for an immediate vote to give Obama unilateral authority to raise the debt ceiling on his own. McConnell was guessing that the Democrats would not go for it.

He failed. Today, Reid called his bluff and then it turns out it was McConnell who was caught with his dick in his hands.

He filibustered his own proposal. :lol:

Hoisted by his own petard.

Last edited:
I'm ready to go over the fiscal cliff....raise my taxes and and start the cutbacks in spending.
You people may not care what kind of debt you hand your children and grandkids....but I do.
I'm ready for the actual cutbacks, and those of you who aren't willing to have some skin in the game are just selfish tools only thinking of yourself. Time to think about the future of America and your future relatives.

You're excused and can add all you want,
Where do spending bills originate from? The House.
I provided the links, now it's up to you to do the work.
It would be helpful if you read what the bill was about to begin with :D
I'm getting a kick of this reply. It has a nugget in there that will help answer the riddle that my simple question appears to be, as no one can answer it.

lol

At least now you're admitting you don't what bill it was tacked onto.

You came in here parading around the NDAA bill. :lol:

lol

Another fail for you! :lol::lol:
You asked "What BILL number were Senators supposed to be voting on?

Could some one answer this? Any one?'
http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...iscal-cliff-plan-post6453055.html#post6452977

I gave you the tools. Obviously you didn't use them.

lol

Another fail for you! :lol::lol:
You asked "What BILL number were Senators supposed to be voting on?

Could some one answer this? Any one?'
http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...iscal-cliff-plan-post6453055.html#post6452977

I gave you the tools. Obviously you didn't use them.
You didn't give me shit.

I knew what bill it was. YOU didn't.

Your answer was this:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/6453293-post19.html

You somehow stupidly thought it was the NDAA bill. Forget the fact you didn't get the bill right, you didn't even get the right DAY.

You were off by a thousand miles.

That's not "tools." That's a blind bat banging into a wall.

Have you figgered it out there, sugar?

By Michael McAuliff

More: Debt Ceiling Bluff Called By Harry Reid, Leaving Mitch McConnell To Filibuster Himself

So now we know the truth. Hilarious...

Forum List

Back