Reid objects to vote on Obama fiscal cliff plan

What BILL number were Senators supposed to be voting on?

Could some one answer this? Any one?

Didn't you watch the video? McConnell was introducing a rider to the Russia trade bill that would have given the Democrats a chance to stand behind Obama. If the Democrats had a problem with it there, he was willing to tack it onto another bill, or even put it up as a stand alone bill. Can you think of any reason the Democrats would not come out in unanimous support of the leader of their party?

I knew what bill he was attempting to attach it to. It looked like no one else here did, and as of yet, no one has stated what bill it was.

THIS was it: the "Russia and Moldova Jackson-Vanik Repeal and Sergei Magnitsky Rule of Law Accountability Act of 2012"

Ole Mitchy boy was suggesting should have be attached to Geithner’s 'fiscal cliff' proposal. Pretty damn funny.

For one, it violates Senate rules on Germane amendments, so it wasn't even serious to begin with. Second, he could not have put it up as a stand alone, as Appropriations bills need to originate in the House.

McConnell knew it was a joke, a ploy. No one would vote on a sham bill like that.

The really funny thing is you not mentioning how he was quite willing to let it come up as a stand alone bill. Is there a reason you are ignoring that, other than you being a hack?

Didn't you watch the video? McConnell was introducing a rider to the Russia trade bill that would have given the Democrats a chance to stand behind Obama. If the Democrats had a problem with it there, he was willing to tack it onto another bill, or even put it up as a stand alone bill. Can you think of any reason the Democrats would not come out in unanimous support of the leader of their party?

I knew what bill he was attempting to attach it to. It looked like no one else here did, and as of yet, no one has stated what bill it was.

THIS was it: the "Russia and Moldova Jackson-Vanik Repeal and Sergei Magnitsky Rule of Law Accountability Act of 2012"

Ole Mitchy boy was suggesting should have be attached to Geithner’s 'fiscal cliff' proposal. Pretty damn funny.

For one, it violates Senate rules on Germane amendments, so it wasn't even serious to begin with. Second, he could not have put it up as a stand alone, as Appropriations bills need to originate in the House.

McConnell knew it was a joke, a ploy. No one would vote on a sham bill like that.

The really funny thing is you not mentioning how he was quite willing to let it come up as a stand alone bill. Is there a reason you are ignoring that, other than you being a hack?
Er. Maybe if you'd actually READ my post, you would have seen it. I've put it in red, so maybe it might help with your apparent trouble.

Nope. Just showing the way that game was played. I tire of hearing "dems don't even support their own proposals." It seemed necessary to at least let those who were unaware of that budget alternative (and this new gimmick by Mitchy boy) *how* the game was played.

As for equivalence, both parties suck. I've said this hundreds of times. It's just that dems suck about 5% less.

Except that is not what happened yesterday, is it?
Same game. Different version.

Of course it is the same game. The difference here is that this is exactly what Obama "offered" the Republicans. If you want to argue that policy statements are what make a budget work, can you explain how a vague promise to cut spending at some time in the future counts as a concrete proposal?

Hairy Reid always rejects Obamination's budgets then turns around and blame the GOP....they are really that insane.
See? Some people actually think those were legitimate proposals.

As I said earlier,

It's only purpose was to capture that headline you see people nyuk nyuking right now.

See, you actually think there was a significant difference between the Obama budget plan and the one that stripped out the lies.

Hairy Reid always rejects Obamination's budgets then turns around and blame the GOP....they are really that insane.

As I said earlier,

It's only purpose was to capture that headline you see people nyuk nyuking right now.

See, you actually think there was a significant difference between the Obama budget plan and the one that stripped out the lies.
Stripping out all the numbers from a budget bill, except the top line, is not a budget bill, nor are under the line proposals "lies." The are budget proposals.

It was an empty bill when Mulvaney proposed, and everyone knew all it was was theater, and also to see how dutifully the lemming would repeat the line: See! Even the DEMS won't vote on their own budget bill.

It worked well. The Conservative Entertainment Complex provided the fodder, and good little connies went out and parroted the line. They've been trained well.

Er. Maybe if you'd actually READ my post, you would have seen it. I've put it in red, so maybe it might help with your apparent trouble.

You are right, I did miss that.

Unfortunately, for you, you are still wrong. This is not an appropriations bill in that it does not authorize the government to spend money, it would merely express the amount of support that Obama's proposal actually has in the Senate. The only reason Reid, or anyone else, would have for not allowing a vote on this is that it would show that the real problem is not the Republicans being unwilling to compromise, it is that Obama's proposal is so radical that even the Democrats cannot support it.

As I said earlier,

Stripping out all the numbers from a budget bill, except the top line, is not a budget bill, nor are under the line proposals "lies." The are budget proposals.

It was an empty bill when Mulvaney proposed, and everyone knew all it was was theater, and also to see how dutifully the lemming would repeat the line: See! Even the DEMS won't vote on their own budget bill.

It worked well. The Conservative Entertainment Complex provided the fodder, and good little connies went out and parroted the line. They've been trained well.

Fine them show me the numbers in Obama's budget, and the numbers that got voted on in the Senate. Show me how much difference there is between them, and then we can talk. Since the White House did not actually mention numbers when they gave the Democrats cover for voting down Obama's budget, I am guessing that is going to be harder than you think. The major difference between them is that the Republican version stripped out the policy statements. In other words, it stripped out the stuff that only matters if you believe that Obama actually pans on reducing the deficit 6 years after he is out of office.

Unfortunately, for you, you are still wrong. This is not an appropriations bill in that it does not authorize the government to spend money, it would merely express the amount of support that Obama's proposal actually has in the Senate. The only reason Reid, or anyone else, would have for not allowing a vote on this is that it would show that the real problem is not the Republicans being unwilling to compromise, it is that Obama's proposal is so radical that even the Democrats cannot support it.
Geithner's plan call for tax hikes and spending. That's an appropriation.

THAT's what McConnel tried to introduce. Are you denying that? Of course we'd never see it attached, because McConnell knew it was a SHAM.

Fine them show me the numbers in Obama's budget, and the numbers that got voted on in the Senate. Show me how much difference there is between them, and then we can talk. Since the White House did not actually mention numbers when they gave the Democrats cover for voting down Obama's budget, I am guessing that is going to be harder than you think. The major difference between them is that the Republican version stripped out the policy statements. In other words, it stripped out the stuff that only matters if you believe that Obama actually pans on reducing the deficit 6 years after he is out of office.
Are you so slow or just unable to see the link I placed in my post earlier?

If the latter, you sure do miss a lot.

Then again, maybe it's both.

Here's my prediction. The GOP will blow a wet shit in the face of Gover Norquest, and propose a bill that will increase the top end rates. The GOP will counter offer with a bill that raises the age of Medicare, but not screw with Obamacare, which makes their proposal a joke.

So far, my predictions have been correct.

:rofl:

Oh! Some Phunny shit has just deveoped!

Debt Ceiling Bluff Called By Harry Reid, Leaving Mitch McConnell To Filibuster Himself

WASHINGTON -- A move to embarrass Democrats backfired on Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell Thursday as the Kentucky Republican proposed a vote on raising the nation's debt ceiling -- then filibustered it when the Democrats tried to take him up on the offer.

On Thursday morning McConnell had made a motion for the vote on legislation that would let the president extend the country's borrowing limit on his own. Congress would then have the option to disapprove such hikes, in a fashion similar to one that McConnell first suggested during last year's standoff over the debt ceiling.

The minority leader apparently did not think Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) would take him up on his offer, which would have allowed McConnell to portray President Barack Obama's desire for such authority as something even Democrats opposed.
Reid objected at first, but told McConnell he thought it might be a good idea. After Senate staff reviewed the proposal, Reid came back to the floor and proposed a straight up-or-down vote on the idea.

McConnell was forced to say no.
Debt Ceiling Bluff Called By Harry Reid, Leaving Mitch McConnell To Filibuster Himself

Hot Damn!

""What we have here is a case of the Republicans here in the Senate once again not taking yes for an answer," Reid said. "This morning the Republican leader asked consent to have a vote on his proposal.

Just now I told everyone we're willing to have that vote, an up-or-down vote, and now the Republican leader objects to his own idea, so I guess we have a filibuser of his own bill."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Geithner's plan call for tax hikes and spending. That's an appropriation.

THAT's what McConnel tried to introduce. Are you denying that? Of course we'd never see it attached, because McConnell knew it was a SHAM.

Giehtner does not have a plan, he has a proposal. His proposal is that Congress pass some tax cuts, pass another stimulus, and cede control of the debt ceiling. Want to try again?

:rofl:

Oh! Some Phunny shit has just deveoped!

WASHINGTON -- A move to embarrass Democrats backfired on Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell Thursday as the Kentucky Republican proposed a vote on raising the nation's debt ceiling -- then filibustered it when the Democrats tried to take him up on the offer.

On Thursday morning McConnell had made a motion for the vote on legislation that would let the president extend the country's borrowing limit on his own. Congress would then have the option to disapprove such hikes, in a fashion similar to one that McConnell first suggested during last year's standoff over the debt ceiling.

The minority leader apparently did not think Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) would take him up on his offer, which would have allowed McConnell to portray President Barack Obama's desire for such authority as something even Democrats opposed.
Reid objected at first, but told McConnell he thought it might be a good idea. After Senate staff reviewed the proposal, Reid came back to the floor and proposed a straight up-or-down vote on the idea.

McConnell was forced to say no.

What, exactly, did Reid propose? The article gives the impression that all he is putting up for vote is eliminating Congress from having any say in raising the debt limit.

New Topics

Forum List

Back