Redding Calif is burning.

37366388_1767239836686920_543503260628025344_n.jpg

Fire-truck-redding.png

gallery_xlarge.jpg

636681992006599898-IMG-7085.jpg

The images are just horrific. I must say I really don't understand the ecology of these fires at all. When I say "I don't understand" I don't mean that in a flippant way, I mean it entirely. My area is just soaked with moisture it seems like--I live near the Great Lakes so we get maybe two "red flag warnings" a year? When they pop up on alerts everyone says "what the heck is that?" It's just not something we deal with.

Just devastating. How sad too for that family of two great-grandchildren and a grandma. Tragic. Please be safe!

The images are just horrific. I must say I really don't understand the ecology of these fires at all. When I say "I don't understand" I don't mean that in a flippant way, I mean it entirely. My area is just soaked with moisture it seems like--I live near the Great Lakes so we get maybe two "red flag warnings" a year? When they pop up on alerts everyone says "what the heck is that?" It's just not something we deal with.

Just devastating. How sad too for that family of two great-grandchildren and a grandma. Tragic. Please be safe!
The area is volcanic in origins so there are very few flat areas. It is mostly steep hills and deep ravines. Last winter was not real wet but enough to get all the grasses growing so they can die an be fuel for fire.

Still not heading this way..thankfully. But, I keep tabs on it and am still packed.
I feel for all those people...and especially all those animals, wild and domesticated. :(

Still not heading this way..thankfully. But, I keep tabs on it and am still packed.
I feel for all those people...and especially all those animals, wild and domesticated. :(
How are things there, Gracie?

I am about an hour and a half away...south of Redding. If that thing gets within an hour of me..we are outta here. Scarey shit. That city has 90K people and ALL are bailing out of there. CHP tweeted "fire is out of control. LEAVE".
Even the firefighters have stopped trying to stop it and now are focusing on getting all those people out of there.
I feel for the citizens..and the animals...that are going to be suffering over this horrible fire.
Well, the thing about that, why are we allowing housing to be built in these areas when developed areas are far less prone to such catastrophes? I am seeing this in other states as well, so called desirable areas in the middle of the wilderness because it's far away from "minorities and poverty". Yuck, we can't live with all those poor minorities, they have such bad decorum and landscaping. But at least when the fires burn, they are the ones that set them. Usually because of the rich white elitists are being insensitive and stuff. Well, you don't like wild fires? Move to down town LA. Among the poor and the rest of the human race, don't flee to wealthy ghettos in high fire-flood mud slide prone out lands.I am not feeling any pity for these people. They ran the wrong way.

What the hell!?! That was totally uncalled for.
I am about an hour and a half away...south of Redding. If that thing gets within an hour of me..we are outta here. Scarey shit. That city has 90K people and ALL are bailing out of there. CHP tweeted "fire is out of control. LEAVE".
Even the firefighters have stopped trying to stop it and now are focusing on getting all those people out of there.
I feel for the citizens..and the animals...that are going to be suffering over this horrible fire.
Well, the thing about that, why are we allowing housing to be built in these areas when developed areas are far less prone to such catastrophes? I am seeing this in other states as well, so called desirable areas in the middle of the wilderness because it's far away from "minorities and poverty". Yuck, we can't live with all those poor minorities, they have such bad decorum and landscaping. But at least when the fires burn, they are the ones that set them. Usually because of the rich white elitists are being insensitive and stuff. Well, you don't like wild fires? Move to down town LA. Among the poor and the rest of the human race, don't flee to wealthy ghettos in high fire-flood mud slide prone out lands.I am not feeling any pity for these people. They ran the wrong way.

What the hell!?! That was totally uncalled for.
My sympathies to the actual inherent long term natives in the area, not the assholes that fled the urban center. Actually call it a cold slap in the face, it's past due. These communities think they didn't deserve this. Well, please, they deserved it. These schmucks never should have moved away from the urban center, and they dragged in innocent communities into their avoidance games. It's funny how that works, karma and stuff.

This is depressing and heartbreakin.
My husband and I lived a mile or so from Shasta Lake for years. The year before we move to MO a fire was in the cedars a block from my beautiful home. It stopped just there for some reason and we were lucky.
This time it got the house and it feels terrible. Luckily, it was empty for renovations.
We've been in touch with many friends, both lucky and not lucky. I can't get in touch with my best friend who's home was two miles from ours.

I hope this is over soon.

Seems the fire is headed West rather than east from what I just saw..........At least it shouldn't be heading towards Gracie........I hope.

Redding is very close to the fire now..........these things happen.........doesn't matter whether a lightning strike or a car started it.

It is why they should do small controlled burns from time to time...........small so they don't lose control of the burns.

You are a wretched and arrogant piece of shit. Fuck off.

Sorry for your loss and hope your friends are ok.................Just a quick question..........do they use controlled burns in those areas to remove the brush or let it sit to become a powder keg..............Not trying to put blame...........we use controlled burns where I live to get rid of the scrubs......

California is paying a hefty price for their BS.

It won’t be long before they start begging taxpayers of other states for help.

Sorry for your loss and hope your friends are ok.................Just a quick question..........do they use controlled burns in those areas to remove the brush or let it sit to become a powder keg..............Not trying to put blame...........we use controlled burns where I live to get rid of the scrubs......

It's Cali, so you know it's crazy out there. I know BLM was always doing controlled burns, but they were inept so sometimes it wasn't so controlled. I'm not sure what the policy is on undergrowth and such, but it seems like it wasn't managed or removed from what I saw.

Forum List

Back