Redding Calif is burning.

Just a reminder..this thread is about the horrendous loss of life...a bulldozer guy trying to help, a great grandma and her two great grandkids, other folks. HOmes lost. Animals killed or running for their lives. Its not about who deserves what, politics or other crazy assed nasty remarks best left unsaid. Or better yet, those that have snarky remarks..kindly start your own thread, please. And I am asking nicely.
I certainly wasn't trying to shift it............but I wanted to ask people living there about the issue of leaving a powder keg alone instead of taking measures to prevent the spread of fires.
No no...it was not aimed at you, hon. Its just a reminder. These fires have NOTHING to do with gay lifestyle or people moving to the forest and jacking up prices. Cali is suffering from drought. Now is not the time to find fault. Its to share info like you and Leo did, condolences, well wishes, etc.

Fire Safety Laws - Ready For Wildfire
California law requires that homeowners in SRA clear out flammable materials such as brush or vegetation around their buildings to 100 feet (or the property line) to create a defensible space buffer. This helps halt the progress of an approaching wildfire and keeps firefighters safe while they defend your home.

The law also requires new homes to be constructed with fire-resistant materials. By building your home with materials like fire-resistant roofing, enclosed eaves and dual-paned windows, you are hardening your home and giving it a fighting chance to survive a wildfire.

It is also a good idea to cut lateral branches on trees up to at least 6 feet from the ground. Grass fires can leap up and burn low tree branches and start a crown fire which is almost unstoppable as we see in the Carr Fire.

Some conflagurations can leap roadway , they burn so hot trees explode from boiling sap , one can't outrun them either.

And then there are sorts who'll jump right on into it all

vlcsnap-2015-09-16.jpg

I have been thinking people need to volunteer to help with these fires. The fires are too big for just the trained firefighters to do the job.

Some conflagurations can leap roadway , they burn so hot trees explode from boiling sap , one can't outrun them either.

vlcsnap-2015-09-16.jpg
When I was fighting a fire near there in 71, I was starting a backfire at the edge of highway 299 ahead of the fire along with 3 other guys. For those who don't know what a backfire is, the idea is to burn potential fuel at the leading edge of a fire so as to try to prevent it from crossing a road, creek, etc.

Well, the fire came so fast, it overran us, we all jumped in the truck which was parked in the middle of the highway, and ducked. In no time, it hopped right over us to the other side and when the air cleared enough to pop our heads back up, we were behind the fire instead of ahead of it.

I think it was 117 that day as we were in the middle of a week of particularly hot weather. Redding has the distinction of being the hottest place in the world north of the 40th parallel, but there is plenty to burn since it gets a good amount of rain in the winter.

vlcsnap-2015-09-16.jpg
When I was fighting a fire near there in 71, I was starting a backfire at the edge of highway 299 ahead of the fire along with 3 other guys. For those who don't know what a backfire is, the idea is to burn potential fuel at the leading edge of a fire so as to try to prevent it from crossing a road, creek, etc.

Well, the fire came so fast, it overran us, we all jumped in the truck which was parked in the middle of the highway, and ducked. In no time, it hopped right over us to the other side and when the air cleared enough to pop our heads back up, we were behind the fire instead of ahead of it.

I think it was 117 that day as we were in the middle of a week of particularly hot weather. Redding has the distinction of being the hottest place in the world north of the 40th parallel, but there is plenty to burn since it gets a good amount of rain in the winter.

I can recall being asked to 'rake a break line' with a few mates , which we did until the wind changed. When the flames started at us, i got the grandious idea to play jumpin' jack flash. As we were in nighthiches w/o any upper turnout, it ended badly for me. My armpit and chest hairs were history. My CO was not amused ....

ah, to be young ,hung, and fulla dung again! :) ~S~

I have been thinking people need to volunteer to help with these fires. The fires are too big for just the trained firefighters to do the job.

FF support alone is a huge task, they need to hydrate (even if they don't know it) , need vitals taken, need a littel O2 now & then, need a bite to eat, need to desculate in some sane safe place before juminpin' back in ~S~

"Fireman's Prayer"

When I am called to duty, God
whenever flames may rage,
give me the strength to save some life
Whatever be its age.

Help me to embrace a little child
before it’s too late,
or some older person
from the horror of that fate.

Enable me to be alert
and hear the weakest shout,
and quickly and efficiently