Redding Calif is burning.

I am about an hour and a half away...south of Redding. If that thing gets within an hour of me..we are outta here. Scarey shit. That city has 90K people and ALL are bailing out of there. CHP tweeted "fire is out of control. LEAVE".
Even the firefighters have stopped trying to stop it and now are focusing on getting all those people out of there.
I feel for the citizens..and the animals...that are going to be suffering over this horrible fire.
Well, the thing about that, why are we allowing housing to be built in these areas when developed areas are far less prone to such catastrophes? I am seeing this in other states as well, so called desirable areas in the middle of the wilderness because it's far away from "minorities and poverty". Yuck, we can't live with all those poor minorities, they have such bad decorum and landscaping. But at least when the fires burn, they are the ones that set them. Usually because of the rich white elitists are being insensitive and stuff. Well, you don't like wild fires? Move to down town LA. Among the poor and the rest of the human race, don't flee to wealthy ghettos in high fire-flood mud slide prone out lands.I am not feeling any pity for these people. They ran the wrong way.

You are a wretched and arrogant piece of shit. Fuck off.
Sorry for your loss and hope your friends are ok.................Just a quick question..........do they use controlled burns in those areas to remove the brush or let it sit to become a powder keg..............Not trying to put blame...........we use controlled burns where I live to get rid of the scrubs......

The Carr Fire started on Federal land where the forest service has a 'let it burn' policy thanks to environmental regulations that have consistently outlawed forest clean up, logging and firewood gathering permits. Unfortunately, more populated rural areas near the national forests can suffer when fires jump national forest lines. In the past, before these regulations when logging was largely permitted on federal land, logging companies would take care of fires. Back then, bull dozer operators would just hop on their dozers and get to work containing the fire. Today, the dozers have to be 'certified' and operators cannot start working without permission. This CAN cause delays which could be deadly in fast spreading fires. Also, because logging companies have been largely prohibited on BLM, there are not as many dozers available to make fire lines. Cal Fire uses shovels and backfires more and more.

Last edited:
I am about an hour and a half away...south of Redding. If that thing gets within an hour of me..we are outta here. Scarey shit. That city has 90K people and ALL are bailing out of there. CHP tweeted "fire is out of control. LEAVE".
Even the firefighters have stopped trying to stop it and now are focusing on getting all those people out of there.
I feel for the citizens..and the animals...that are going to be suffering over this horrible fire.
Well, the thing about that, why are we allowing housing to be built in these areas when developed areas are far less prone to such catastrophes? I am seeing this in other states as well, so called desirable areas in the middle of the wilderness because it's far away from "minorities and poverty". Yuck, we can't live with all those poor minorities, they have such bad decorum and landscaping. But at least when the fires burn, they are the ones that set them. Usually because of the rich white elitists are being insensitive and stuff. Well, you don't like wild fires? Move to down town LA. Among the poor and the rest of the human race, don't flee to wealthy ghettos in high fire-flood mud slide prone out lands.I am not feeling any pity for these people. They ran the wrong way.

Sorry for your loss and hope your friends are ok.................Just a quick question..........do they use controlled burns in those areas to remove the brush or let it sit to become a powder keg..............Not trying to put blame...........we use controlled burns where I live to get rid of the scrubs......

It's Cali, so you know it's crazy out there. I know BLM was always doing controlled burns, but they were inept so sometimes it wasn't so controlled. I'm not sure what the policy is on undergrowth and such, but it seems like it wasn't managed or removed from what I saw.

It's a 'let it burn' policy because wild fires are 'natural.'

California is paying a hefty price for their BS.

It won’t be long before they start begging taxpayers of other states for help.

Right now there are fire engines and fire companies in CA coming from all over the United States. Thank God for them.

The Carr Fire started on Federal land where the forest service has a 'let it burn' policy thanks to environmental regulations that have consistently outlawed forest clean up, logging and firewood gathering permits. Unfortunately, more populated rural areas near the national forests can suffer when fires jump national forest lines. In the past, before these regulations when logging was largely permitted on federal land, logging companies would take care of fires. Back then, bull dozer operators would just hop on their dozers and get to work containing the fire. Today, the dozers have to be 'certified' and operators cannot start working without permission. This CAN cause delays which could be deadly in fast spreading fires.
In our forest's the logging companies put in break lines.............just like you just said.........and make fire breaks..........by controlled burns........even if it isn't all burned they at least put in fire break areas.............

It is common sense to allow these fire breaks to be burned and built...........but as I thought........they play stupid with common sense and pay for it later.

Hey, I live in a mountain, low population density, rural area. This area was here LONG before any big city and, was founded by explorers hundreds of years BEFORE the huge population areas of LA and SF.

California is paying a hefty price for their BS.

It won’t be long before they start begging taxpayers of other states for help.
It's karma,dude! I have been to say, Oakdale and up to the wineries up north to Yosemite . Back in 2006, I saw the burn scars and it was sad. I talked to the local farmers and how much they felt dispossessed by liberalism . Gay marriage or sanctuary cities for illegals, none of which was on a popular referendum.Poor or middle class Californians feel let out by the leftist that just run roughshod over the rest of us Americans, they think that's democracy.

The smoke is awful....and its all over northern cali. I can't sit outside for very long because of the burning of my eyes and throat. The sun is muted too. I can imagine what its like further north of me. :(

We have good winters here...lots of rain, snow. But its just enough to make things green early in the spring...then grow..then die when it gets in the 3 digits..then burn. And where I am and in Shasta...its all redwoods, ponderosa pines, oaks, walnut trees, etc. LOTS to burn if some schmuck pulls a trailer or boat and lets the chain drag on the pavement. Hell, I am afraid to pull over when I go to Oroville because underneath the car...its HOT. Pulling unto dead grass and weeds is just begging to start a fire. So..I don't pull over. At all.

Just a reminder..this thread is about the horrendous loss of life...a bulldozer guy trying to help, a great grandma and her two great grandkids, other folks. HOmes lost. Animals killed or running for their lives. Its not about who deserves what, politics or other crazy assed nasty remarks best left unsaid. Or better yet, those that have snarky remarks..kindly start your own thread, please. And I am asking nicely.

Just a reminder..this thread is about the horrendous loss of life...a bulldozer guy trying to help, a great grandma and her two great grandkids, other folks. HOmes lost. Animals killed or running for their lives. Its not about who deserves what, politics or other crazy assed nasty remarks best left unsaid. Or better yet, those that have snarky remarks..kindly start your own thread, please. And I am asking nicely.
I certainly wasn't trying to shift it............but I wanted to ask people living there about the issue of leaving a powder keg alone instead of taking measures to prevent the spread of fires.

https://www.co.shasta.ca.us/docs/li...hd-docs/grading_handout.pdf?sfvrsn=c8ede441_0

The RED tape..............try to build the fire breaks and get your butts fined to death by the gov't...........no wonder they don't do the fire breaks......DOE is undermanned and funded from having too much land............and leave a powder keg that moves to private land......

Gov't in action again........and ineptness.

Environmentalists have infiltrated the resource management departments and this is the result.

I certainly wasn't trying to shift it............but I wanted to ask people living there about the issue of leaving a powder keg alone instead of taking measures to prevent the spread of fires.

No one voted for these outlandish regulations. The People have little or no power over draconian enviornmental regulations. Sorry but I don't mean to derail the thread but these deaths fall squarely on idiotic over-regulation. There was no need for destruction and death form a wildfire on Federal land that spread to populated areas.

Part of me wants to help, while another part says they need to learn.

California is one of the most fucked up states in this country.

No one voted for these outlandish regulations. The People have little or no power over draconian enviornmental regulations.
Doing away with common sense ..........common sense requires taking actions to burn off tender boxes...........building fire breaks to prevent the spread........it is common here and prevents any fire from spreading too far...........It is extremely wet here........so our chances of fire are far less.........but it is still done to prevent an uncontrolled fire.

Hey, I live in a mountain, low population density, rural area. This area was here LONG before any big city and, was founded by explorers hundreds of years BEFORE the huge population areas of LA and SF.
You aren't whom I am aiming this blog too. I wish you a long and happy life. Those urban interlopers that move specifically to such communities because they want to escape urban crime and illegal aliens, then drive up the housing costs, and then have the nerve to complain about how unfair life is. I can't help but laugh at them. They deserve their fate.

Part of me wants to help, while another part says they need to learn.

California is one of the most fucked up states in this country.

Not all CA.....LA and SF are responsible for this clusterfuck.

Housemate just got home from work. He said some people stopped in that were evacuated from Redding and are staying with their daughter. They said before they could get out of there, they could hear propane tanks exploding and the roar of the fire was so loud it sounded like a tornado and hurricane all rolled into one..but HOT, like a volcano. Air was so bad, it was like fog.

You aren't whom I am aiming this blog too. I wish you a long and happy life. Those urban interlopers that move specifically to such communities because they want to escape urban crime and illegal aliens, then drive up the housing costs, and then have the nerve to complain about how unfair life is. I can't help but laugh at them. They deserve their fate.

You seem to cast to large of a net and have limited understanding of the problem. Just sayin.

Fire Safety Laws - Ready For Wildfire
California law requires that homeowners in SRA clear out flammable materials such as brush or vegetation around their buildings to 100 feet (or the property line) to create a defensible space buffer. This helps halt the progress of an approaching wildfire and keeps firefighters safe while they defend your home.

The law also requires new homes to be constructed with fire-resistant materials. By building your home with materials like fire-resistant roofing, enclosed eaves and dual-paned windows, you are hardening your home and giving it a fighting chance to survive a wildfire.

Forum List

Back