Rebublicans advocate massive budget cuts!

The Democrats are at $26B and the Republicans are $100B. There must be compromise. I say split the difference with no exclusions and get on with the business of governing. That's a 3.3% across the board cut. I have never seen a business or governmental body that couldn't absorb 3.3% cut.

Even the 100 Billion will not solve the problem, it is only a start.
I think we need to keep mind that the economy is improving and with it will come higher tax revenues. It make take a few years but it will happen. The spending for job stimulus, bailouts, and unemployment compensation extensions will become a thing of the past. We should be able bring the deficit back to the 2008 level, about 500 billion. The $175 billion we spend each year in Iraq and Afghanistan are going to go away one of these days. If we really want to put our house in order we can dump some of the Bush tax cuts.

Unlike a number of countries, we have options. We just have to work together for a change, which IMHO is a bigger problem than the deficit.

The Democrats are at $26B and the Republicans are $100B. There must be compromise. I say split the difference with no exclusions and get on with the business of governing. That's a 3.3% across the board cut. I have never seen a business or governmental body that couldn't absorb 3.3% cut.

I think we need to keep mind that the economy is improving and with it will come higher tax revenues. It make take a few years but it will happen. The spending for job stimulus, bailouts, and unemployment compensation extensions will become a thing of the past. We should be able bring the deficit back to the 2008 level, about 500 billion. The $175 billion we spend each year in Iraq and Afghanistan are going to go away one of these days. If we really want to put our house in order we can dump some of the Bush tax cuts.

Unlike a number of countries, we have options. We just have to work together for a change, which IMHO is a bigger problem than the deficit.

Deficit spending must equal zero. It is the only way to get ahead of the game. As long as you have a deficit you are going further into debt. It's not difficult to understand.

I guess if you have never seen it there is no debate.
Oh, I've seen it in two business I have owned, state, and local government. If you want to see real cuts Google state percent cuts.

Deficit spending must equal zero. It is the only way to get ahead of the game. As long as you have a deficit you are going further into debt. It's not difficult to understand.
The deficit has been growing pretty steadily for 40 years with occasional pops into the black, which is a similar situation with most of the world. We are deluding ourselves to think we will ever return to balance budgets. This is not a serious consideration of either party.

IMHO, once we accepted the job of peace keeper of the world and took on the responsibility of managing the economy, we kissed any chance of maintaining a balance budget goodbye.

As I mentioned Germany did it. But they did it when the rest of the would was experiencing manic growth, the 1990s. I would agree with you that it would be impossible when most of the the developed world is in a financial crisis. IMO, I don't advocate Keynesian principals (fiscal stimulus) . But if given a choice between Keynesian fiscal spending or just letting the economic cycle pass, which do you think any government would do? I would guess Keynes, because each time they spend, the burden goes on the taxpayer's back. The burden never goes away and only interest is paid as debt is accumulated. Just a little more fascist leverage.
Ideally, in a recession we should cut taxes, increase spending and expand the money supply moderately. Once the economy has turned the corner we should reverse the process. We are pretty good at doing the former, but lousy at doing the latter.

Agreed, but printing money to buy your own debt is over the top. Also, not procuring your debt in long term bonds (while there is high demand and the interest rate is low) is absolutely insane.
I assumed the government laddered our debt, sticking with some formula so matures are fairly evenly spread. Is that not the case?

So we keep borrowing until there is nothing left to borrow?

This does not compute........
As long as individuals, businesses, and nation have faith in the US government to meet it's financial obligations, the money will never run out. There are really only two basic reason why the deficit is important. If we run a high deficit in relation to our GDP compared to other countries, it worries investors and makes our debt less desirable. The other reason is inflation. High deficits eventually lead to inflation, which again makes our debt less attractive. Who wants to loan money and be paid back money that buys at lot less. So, we have to pay more interest on the national debt which makes us a little poorer and we have more inflation that makes us even poorer.

The country never hits a stone wall, but our standard of living just deteriorate until our debt becomes more attractive than other nations.

Or, we could fight back. Make things the rest of the world wants to buy. Sell things. Grow the economy.

How come the right can't think of those things?

The deficit has been growing pretty steadily for 40 years with occasional pops into the black, which is a similar situation with most of the world. We are deluding ourselves to think we will ever return to balance budgets. This is not a serious consideration of either party.

IMHO, once we accepted the job of peace keeper of the world and took on the responsibility of managing the economy, we kissed any chance of maintaining a balance budget goodbye.

Because our manufacturing base is being shipped overseas. From 2001 to 2008, more than 40,000 factories were shut down and 2.4 million jobs moved to just China.

All right. Maybe they could cut enough to force another trillion dollar tax cut for millionaires and billionaires.

Oops, seems they are too busy redefining rape. Oh well, maybe next year.

Lies.

Since when has making $250k made anyone a millionaire or a billionaire?

Explain that one dip-shit.

rdean probably thinks people that make $30k are rich. His standards don't seem that high.

Who even knows what you are talking about? I never studied "delusion".

Except for the military?

lol

Dems had a super-majority, did they cut defense spending? NO.

As a matter of fact they did.

Obama cut the F24 program completely.

It would have kept us a step in front of China. Now they're quickly catching up to us.

He also wants to get rid of our nukes, while Iran is trying to go nuclear.

Makes alot of sense don't it.

Iran going nuclear. Laughable. Look what Obama did to their program. Religion and technology don't mix. Imagine right wingers here trying to build a nuclear power plant. Hilarious.

Republicans advocate massive spending cuts in discretionary spending. They intend to a initiate a massive $100 Billion (1/15 of the projected 2011 deficit) from the annual budget. These draconian cuts will occur in all Federal agencies EXCEPT for; military, security, policing, DOJ (prisons), in-house spying (3,984 federal, state and local organization), contractor spying (923 contract agencies), Homeland Security, ATF, DEA, National Guard and military funding to other nations.

IF the Republicans were to eliminate Dept. of Education and Health and Human Services they would come close to their $100 goal. Go Republicans! Go Congress! Go USA!

Just remember: You are 8 times more likely to be killed by a policeman than by a terrorist
Source: National Safety Council statistics

Here is a novel idea: let's stop dropping bombs, waging wars, financing wars, spying, imprisoning (victimless crime), indicting, arresting, killing, harassing and financially exploiting. Let's take all that money, from those activities, and use it to invest in US human capital. Once we've made that investment, more people can work and pay more taxes. Once they pay more taxes we can pay down public debt.

Is this really such a difficult idea for Americans to comprehend? The Chinese and Indians understand it very well. The don't even have aircraft carriers yet. But India educates 7 engineers for every 1 US engineer and Chiba educated 10 engineers for every 1 US engineer. Engineers are primary discipline for innovation, a major economic driver.

This concept is how smart countries manipulate their economies. This is the premise that Merkel (Germany) noted while walking out on Obama (at the Toronto G20), stating 'people will have confidence in their economy when the have confidence in their own government' (Obama was advocating the same old fear-mongering rhetoric)

It is difficult for me to grasp the collective ignorance of the general US population.

The left gets it. The right? Not so much.

Republicans advocate massive spending cuts in discretionary spending. They intend to a initiate a massive $100 Billion (1/15 of the projected 2011 deficit) from the annual budget. These draconian cuts will occur in all Federal agencies EXCEPT for; military, security, policing, DOJ (prisons), in-house spying (3,984 federal, state and local organization), contractor spying (923 contract agencies), Homeland Security, ATF, DEA, National Guard and military funding to other nations.

IF the Republicans were to eliminate Dept. of Education and Health and Human Services they would come close to their $100 goal. Go Republicans! Go Congress! Go USA!

Just remember: You are 8 times more likely to be killed by a policeman than by a terrorist
Source: National Safety Council statistics

Here is a novel idea: let's stop dropping bombs, waging wars, financing wars, spying, imprisoning (victimless crime), indicting, arresting, killing, harassing and financially exploiting. Let's take all that money, from those activities, and use it to invest in US human capital. Once we've made that investment, more people can work and pay more taxes. Once they pay more taxes we can pay down public debt.

Is this really such a difficult idea for Americans to comprehend? The Chinese and Indians understand it very well. The don't even have aircraft carriers yet. But India educates 7 engineers for every 1 US engineer and Chiba educated 10 engineers for every 1 US engineer. Engineers are primary discipline for innovation, a major economic driver.

This concept is how smart countries manipulate their economies. This is the premise that Merkel (Germany) noted while walking out on Obama (at the Toronto G20), stating 'people will have confidence in their economy when the have confidence in their own government' (Obama was advocating the same old fear-mongering rhetoric)

It is difficult for me to grasp the collective ignorance of the general US population.

Yet, today, China needs engineers of the USA, its true, they not only need them they are offering massive amounts of money to any US engineer willing to work in China.

China can make one hundred knives, China could make a million knives, but which knife would you trust your life with, one made in the USA or China, its kinda like the difference between Craftsman tools and Snap on tools. Both are good, but if your forty feet above the ground, working on a valve, your going to pay the extry hundred dollars for the Snap On Rachet, one mistake, one broken ratcher and your dead. At least that is how it was when I worked in the Rock Quarry.

Point being, China is using the USA, they are not outperforming us nor creating more, and better engineers, at this point, China is begging U.S. engineers to come to China.

Chinese or Indian education over a U.S. education, I guess when I actually have something in my hands, designed and engineered with Chinese technology, I will proof that the Chinese have taught something we are not. In India or China that day is not today, nor is tomorrow.

Still, if the Liberals have their way, the USA will decline further.

U.S. Engineers are the most sought after anywhere in the world.

Now that's just crazy. If you read other threads on this very site, you will see the utter contempt the right has for education.

6% of scientists admit to being Republican for a very good reason. Because the right wing and education don't mix. The right believes in "mysticism". They have become swallowed up by their own ridiculous propaganda. The Republican Party is 90% white and mostly Christian. Inventing and innovation take imagination with a foundation in science, two things Republicans left at the door.

China's brightest go into "finance". That's why their engineers are second rate.

But don't worry. If Republicans have their way and we slash education here, we will end up second rate too. After all, they can always teach, "Magical creation". Maybe they "magically create" something worthwhile.

Yet, today, China needs engineers of the USA, its true, they not only need them they are offering massive amounts of money to any US engineer willing to work in China.

China can make one hundred knives, China could make a million knives, but which knife would you trust your life with, one made in the USA or China, its kinda like the difference between Craftsman tools and Snap on tools. Both are good, but if your forty feet above the ground, working on a valve, your going to pay the extry hundred dollars for the Snap On Rachet, one mistake, one broken ratcher and your dead. At least that is how it was when I worked in the Rock Quarry.

Point being, China is using the USA, they are not outperforming us nor creating more, and better engineers, at this point, China is begging U.S. engineers to come to China.

Chinese or Indian education over a U.S. education, I guess when I actually have something in my hands, designed and engineered with Chinese technology, I will proof that the Chinese have taught something we are not. In India or China that day is not today, nor is tomorrow.

Still, if the Liberals have their way, the USA will decline further.

U.S. Engineers are the most sought after anywhere in the world.

Now that's just crazy. If you read other threads on this very site, you will see the utter contempt the right has for education.

6% of scientists admit to being Republican for a very good reason. Because the right wing and education don't mix. The right believes in "mysticism". They have become swallowed up by their own ridiculous propaganda. The Republican Party is 90% white and mostly Christian. Inventing and innovation take imagination with a foundation in science, two things Republicans left at the door.

China's brightest go into "finance". That's why their engineers are second rate.

But don't worry. If Republicans have their way and we slash education here, we will end up second rate too. After all, they can always teach, "Magical creation". Maybe they "magically create" something worthwhile.
still pumping that lie for all its worth

Or, we could fight back. Make things the rest of the world wants to buy. Sell things. Grow the economy.

How come the right can't think of those things?

Do you know that even with all the jobs you claim the USA sent to China that we are still the number one manufacturer in the world? I didn't think you actually knew that.

By the way, what some far right religious fanatics want is not what the republican party as a whole want. Even though you wished for it.

Forum List

Back