Reagan

Reagan started the free phones for the poor, began negotiations with Canada and Mexico for NAFTA , shored up SS and sold out main street America by giving amnesty to illegals..

Reagan was a so-so actor who a group thought would promote their philosophy. They were known as his "kitchen cabinet". They got what they wanted ... the end of the middle class.

Reagan was a conservative in mind, but he was a pragmatist when it came to governing. He was much more than an actor. He did a really good job as governor of California, and he even agreed to the largest tax increase in California history at the time. Even as president, his tax cuts were not as massive as one may think. Remember that he wanted the capital gains rate tied to the income tax rate. In other words, he believed they should be the same, so the super wealthy could't get away with only paying 10 to 15 percent in taxes. He also put through a massive increase to the payroll tax. The man was far from stupid and far from being the crazy conservative libs make him out to be. He also was nowhere near the right wing conservative cons make him out to be.

I wasn't old enough at the time to fully know what was going on during Reagan's presidency. A lot of people worship him, and a lot of people abhor him. What made him stand out?
Republicans worship him because he was the last president we had that seemed like he was cast for the role like in a movie, understandable since he played the role all of his life. The real Reagan was a wishy-washy easily controlled know-nothing who just said patriotic bullshit while his staff worked like the dickens to sell us out to the plutocrats. I remember him getting elected and my mother turning to me and saying "This guy is going to get us all nuked." In the end it turned out to be a pretty close thing.

I thought the same thing, at the time, but looking back Reagan stood up, allot like Kennedy, in history he will one that stood up, faced down those that do not believe in liberty and won. Bush and Obama have had that opportunity and not been decisive and we are stuck. History will show the victors, and those that stumble will be a failure. what else does this Union stand for, above all the right/left rhetoric, this nation stands alone moving forward with liberty, believe in it or it is lost.
I despise superficiality, when you take away the acting and the posturing he did more to fuck middle-class America than any president until GWB came along, not to mention, he let the moral majority social conservatives finally get their foot in the door of American politics.

He put the wheel in motion for conservatives to go full force with their quest to cut taxes. Reagan did not cut taxes all that much himself, but he put forth this vision that cutting taxes was the real Nirvana. We know this because while Reagan never was scorned by the right for raising taxes, which he actually did a few times after he realized there wasn't enough revenue to support spending, we can look at what happened to GH Bush when he raised taxes just a little bit. The conservatives turned on him and helped put Clinton in office, which in the end was a good thing.

Reagan was President during a recession and used debt spending, tax cuts, and increased spending to get us out of it(essentially a form of Keynesian economics). This was combined with foreign capital inflows that not only got us out of the recession but was a massive turning point for our nation's economic future. He was also very charismatic during a time when the nation needed to feel better about itself. He was far from perfect but he was a very good President. In part due to the fact he had a Congress to balance him out a bit.

He did help create a bunch of really clueless idiots with his rhetoric though. A lot of these fools only look at what he said and not what he did so they have crazy ideas about reality.

Reagan started the free phones for the poor, began negotiations with Canada and Mexico for NAFTA , shored up SS and sold out main street America by giving amnesty to illegals..
So, Reagan "sold out" Main St. America with amnesty but Obama was compassionate when he did it?

So, Reagan "sold out" Main St. America with amnesty but Obama was compassionate when he did it?
It was rejected..he has yet to give amnesty....cause he has not the power...

I wasn't old enough at the time to fully know what was going on during Reagan's presidency. A lot of people worship him, and a lot of people abhor him. What made him stand out?

Two of the things that made him stand out:

1. He was the only divorced man who was ever elected President which is pretty darn ironic given the adoration bestowed on him by religious conservative) and...

2. He was so vain about his looks that he actually dyed his hair black even though he was about 25 years past the point when most men start to go gray.

1. He was the only divorced man who was ever elected President which is pretty darn ironic given the adoration bestowed on him by religious conservative) and...

2. He was so vain about his looks that he actually dyed his hair black even though he was about 25 years past the point when most men start to go gray.

But on a more serious note...

Reagan posted about 240 American Marines and advisors in Beirut without adequate safeguards, and after they got killed in a terrorist bombing, he turned tail and cut and run.

Then, afterward, in order to prove how tough he REALLY was, he invaded the island of Grenada in order to divert attention from the fiasco. And the right worships that guy? It makes one wonder since if some FUBAR like ever happened at the hands of Obama, the right would go ballistic. No one who isn't otherwise committed to a mental institution could make sense of it.

Apparently he rarely went to church, just let people assume he did.

Not only that, he and Nancy were into Numerology and all kinds of other things that Christians today routinely denounce as demonic.

Not only that, he and Nancy were into Numerology and all kinds of other things that Christians today routinely denounce as demonic.
The Right also denies that they relied on an astrologer to schedule Ronnie's schedule.

The feebleness of these attacks on Reagan like hair dying, not regular church attendee, astrology and so on belies the weakness of his detractors and explains why he is a lightening rod for the whining of "useful idiots" 3 decades on. Whining about the collapse of the East's worker's paradise doesn't give them a lot of traction these days.

How about some credible links to these ridiculous claims. I especially want to see the ones proving the president was into numerology.

He wasn't perfect but two things stood out and made him great, he was a leader and there NEVER, EVER was there a doubt what country he loved. I can ask no more of a president.

And......you just described Barack Obama........as normal people see things.

Reagan was a so-so actor who a group thought would promote their philosophy. They were known as his "kitchen cabinet". They got what they wanted ... the end of the middle class.

Why do you think that they would want the end of the middle class? Reagan didn't end the middle class, Clinton did with his "free" trade BS. The Middle class did well under Reagan as did minorities.

Forum List

Back